PDA

View Full Version : Southwind sf655 construction and fitting tabs

CT
23-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Hi all,
Had a quick look at a Southwind sf655 recently and am still deciding what I think. Two immediate questions spring to mind.

Firstly is how much timber is in them, where is it and what sort of history do they have with rot? This seemed quite solid, almost as if sections of the rear stringers and battery rack area were solid glass. Only the centre of the transom appeared to be cored with the outer sections sounding quite different and a clear line where the sound seemed to change.

Secondly, how the hell would you fit tabs to it? It seemed like bilge access to underfloor was non-existent. Do they bolt through the transom above floor level?

Happy to hear any thoughts that people may have on them. Not a great deal of info online but what is there seems 100% positive.

Thanks
Craig

Crunchy
23-01-2019, 11:12 AM
I'm just going from memory so don't rely on it solely but I think SW were one of the first Australian boat builders not to use wood in stringers, I think transom's were still wood. I haven't heard of rot issues like to you with HH but that may simply be because it was a smaller brand.

CT
23-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Thanks mate, composite or solid glass stringers would be great!

gazza2006au
23-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Get a custom boat built and go all composite it will cost more but u know it wil outlive your grand children

CT
23-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Get a custom boat built and go all composite it will cost more but u know it wil outlive your grand children

Yep, at $150K and up for a 6m plus why don't I get two......

ranmar850
24-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Unless I'm thinking of a different SF Southwind, I believe these were VERY prone to rot. I might be wrong, but do a google on it. Can't remember if it was on this forum, or the old Melbourne-based one which went under? there were two separate instances of seemingly immaculate boats being knackered below, and apparently it was a well known problem on an otherwise good boat?

ranmar850
24-01-2019, 04:50 PM
http://fishwrecked.com/forum/southwind-sf655-flooring This is the only one I can find with a quick search, was that old melbourne-based forum called Fishraider?

stevej
24-01-2019, 05:12 PM
fishnet

also thought they were a cheaper built hull compared to the cruisecrafts and Haines of the time

scottar
24-01-2019, 09:55 PM
As for fitting tabs - big self tappers for the planes - the top actuator bolts should be above floor level. Seafarer Victory's are the same - timber in the middle section of the transom but only glass in the outsides and zero access under the floor in that area. Make sure the hole size is drilled just right, countersink the gelcoat to stop chipping and you use a lot of sealant - fill the hole prior to insertion and liberally coat all of the screw.

CT
25-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Thanks fellas,
All the reports are positive for ride and handling but bugger all around on how they were built. I had seen the fishwrecked post about one rotten one but was trying to gauge if it was typical or he was just unlucky.

Good tips on the tabs too scottar.

Cheers
Craig

Crunchy
25-01-2019, 10:44 AM
Maybe the non-wood stringers only applied when the new manufacturer (Southern Star) took over from the original manufacturer, so it will only apply after a certain year.....when researching my UB they were touting...

"Under floor longitudinals are all fibreglass".

Crunchy
25-01-2019, 10:46 AM
fishnet

also thought they were a cheaper built hull compared to the cruisecrafts and Haines of the time

Certainly more basic fittings but I wouldn;t class HH or CC as well built when it comes to rot resistance!

shortthenlong
25-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Yep, at $150K and up for a 6m plus why don't I get two......

I think you mispelt some words in this post Craig

CT
25-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Certainly more basic fittings but I wouldn;t class HH or CC as well built when it comes to rot resistance!

I second that. I've got the rebuild photos of my rotted out Cruise Craft to prove it! They're all thieves!

CT
25-01-2019, 11:44 AM
I think you mispelt some words in this post Craig

Agreed. I could have been clearer.

stevej
25-01-2019, 11:56 AM
more referring to hull design as in shape and inner mould work

CT
25-01-2019, 12:59 PM
more referring to hull design as in shape and inner mould work

That makes sense. Some parts of the layout, particularly around the transom, really didn't look ideal.

gazza2006au
25-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Sydney Angler went under Fish Raider is still around and ran by dh's

gazza2006au
25-01-2019, 02:28 PM
I guess if u buy a new boat and don't drill holes in the transom and floor it should last a long time if the fitout is done properly of seats and stuff

also to my post the other day i didn't realise this was a cheap boat at 44k i was thinking by its size it would have been 75k+ hence i said try go custom with glass everything

stevej
27-01-2019, 03:13 AM
Fishnet would have been the website. Sydney angler was taken down by choice not gone under