PDA

View Full Version : Alvey gunnel rod

BigE
20-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Had a shed clean up and went through a "shed" load of fishing gear and tackle , it really is amazing the stuff you buy with the best of intentions and never actually use or even take out of the box.

Anyhow i came across 2 Alvey gunnel rods which haven't been used and i was wondering if anyone else has set these up on there boat and what reels did they use ? how did they work out and are there any tips or tricks to get the most out of them?

BigE

blacklab
21-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Hi BigE,
I'd not heard of these before so of course I had to google them up and see what the heck you were talking about !
Seems they are designed for deep dropping and taking the hassle out of struggling with rolling seas and as they said, " a novice angler"
They seem to say you can match it up with near any reel.
They seem to be almost like a down rigger for heavy hauling,,
Interesting bit of equipment !
How and what are you planning to use them for ?

Col

catshark
21-01-2019, 08:58 PM
Same id never heard of them before, perfect for kids etc probably use this for downrigging baits at a depth with limited bounce from a otherwise bouncy rod.

BigE
22-01-2019, 06:09 PM
BL
Bottom Bashing , have seen a video of them being used to troll Spoons for mackerel

Was thinking of a Penn OH with braid for bottom bouncing in a hundred meters plus.

BigE

BigE
28-01-2019, 06:33 PM
I must be to only person to buy them, anyhow ended up with a couple of penn 330 GTi's on them one with braid and one with mono , i;ll see how they go.

BigE

scottar
28-01-2019, 08:09 PM
Only thing I can see will be a bit of an issue is the standard handle length on most overhead reels. As soon as you start talking any serious amount of lead or a decent fish, you are into pump and wind territory - the exact reason a lot of TLD owners fit Tyrnos handles and the same reason I have a custom 150mm T-Bar on the Tyrnos I use for deep water work. You may need to find a longer handle to get some leverage - just take into account the drag setting so you don't strip the gears in your reels.

BigE
29-01-2019, 07:09 PM
Thanks scottar

Don't think it will be an issue was able to lift a bucket with 10lts of water ,like a piece of piss , was really surprised. would have really struggled with that load on a rod.
hopefully try out next weekend if the weather plays.

BigE