PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Chain

shakey55
01-01-2019, 05:51 AM
I’ve a 5m fibreglass boat.

What size and length of chain should I use ?

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Noelm
01-01-2019, 06:01 AM
You need as much as you can reasonably handle, the "general" rule is the length of the boat, so, a 5m boat needs (at least) 5m of chain, the more chain, the better the anchor holds, but you need to be realistic about it, decent heavy galvanised chain is easily obtained by the metre from most boat shops.

ovakil
01-01-2019, 10:25 AM
I would get chain that suit a electric winch incase you get one later.

scottar
01-01-2019, 10:37 AM
ultimately the length will be determined by the gauge. I have 20 metres on my anchor that is on the winch but it is only 6mm. On my reef pick I only have 6 metres but it's 12mm. At the end of the day you need to be able to retrieve whatever you use by the means you choose - trying to manually retrieve either of my set ups can be somewhat painful. It also depends on where you are anchoring - what type of bottom, run and expected sea conditions and also what weight anchor you are running. The old man only runs 3 metres of chain on his 15'er but he only fishes calm water and his pick is a couple of sizes bigger than mine was on the same size boat

Dirtyfuzz
01-01-2019, 11:32 AM
I run 130m/9m 8mm rope and chain with a 6m boat drum winch and mainly used offshore so I guess it depends if fishing creeks you don’t need as much chain but if doing overnighters offshore the extra bit of chain weight on the ground would be beneficial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gazza2006au
02-01-2019, 06:14 PM
A few weeks ago i bought a anchor kit from ebay it took 2 weeks to arrive and i was antsy to get out and have a fish so i went to BCF and bought a second anchor before the first one was delivered, i used the ebay anchor which was bigger than the BCF anchor and i used both chains my BCF anchor kit came with 4 meters of ok size chain the ebay anchor came with 1 meter of tiny chain using both anchor kits i thought i would be drifting as no way that anchor would hold bottom in the Hawkesbury River the HR is known for huge tidal currents and this little anchor held bottom 4.six meter boat 5 meters of chain worked great the whole anchor, rope, chain probably weighs about 5kg as a guess (anchor is a 4 pounder)

Dignity
02-01-2019, 09:41 PM
As Scottar says look to the future, if you have even contemplated an anchor winch then get short link chain. Short link will weigh more than normal 6mm and also more expensive. With a 5M boat 6mm will be fine and I would start with at least 6 metres. I used to run an 8m short link on my 6m boat with a 9lb moloolaba pick but I found that the chain was too heavy and would often reach the bottom first. Changed to 6 mm short link and anchoring became easier. Most reef picks are very light so a heavy chain is more likely to foul the pick on the way down.

What sort of anchor are you using as matching chain and anchor is something most people don't think about.

catshark
02-01-2019, 10:06 PM
depth in water determines length of rope needed, lets revisit ye old pythagorus theorum where a*+b*=c*, A being the depth of water , and b is the bottom, and c* would be the determend length of rope needed to anchor. now if your like me and hate maths , just wing it like i do and carry 120mtrs of 10mm silver rope shackled and moused to two mtrs of chain for my 5 mtr glass boat.

Dignity
02-01-2019, 10:17 PM
depth in water determines length of rope needed, lets revisit ye old pythagorus theorum where a*+b*=c*, A being the depth of water , and b is the bottom, and c* would be the determend length of rope needed to anchor. now if your like me and hate maths , just wing it like i do and carry 120mtrs of 10mm silver rope shackled and moused to two mtrs of chain for my 5 mtr glass boat.

What size chain. Huge difference between 6mm Ord chain and 8 mm short link when it comes to weight. Shakey was asking about chain although the anchor rode also has a bearing it's still better to have more chain.

catshark
02-01-2019, 10:36 PM
damn i had better get to spec savers... 2mtrs of 8 mm chain

shakey55
03-01-2019, 05:19 AM
I would get chain that suit a electric winch incase you get one later.

Thanks buddy. Didn’t think of that as one is on the wish list ✔️

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)