PDA

View Full Version : I think Im in the wrong business

Dignity
06-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Managed to short across the battery terminals when reinstalling the starter battery after having it out for a good bench top clean, check and recharge as its almost impossible in its current position, needless to say the motor wouldn't turn on at all. Stupid idiot had left the battery switch on, no idea why and in the process blew the Main engine fuse. Priced a new one and its close to $50, there is nothing to it and am wondering if there is an automotive one that may fit. There was a spare in the fuse box which is now installed but I would like a replacement just in case.

Andy56
06-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Managed to short across the battery terminals when reinstalling the starter battery after having it out for a good bench top clean, check and recharge as its almost impossible in its current position, needless to say the motor wouldn't turn on at all. Stupid idiot had left the battery switch on, no idea why and in the process blew the Main engine fuse. Priced a new one and its close to $50, there is nothing to it and am wondering if there is an automotive one that may fit. There was a spare in the fuse box which is now installed but I would like a replacement just in case.

I want in too. Thats bloody criminal. Thats a deliberate attempt to scam by designing an oem fuse when these god damn things are everywhere in a cheaper form.

Dignity
06-12-2018, 06:08 PM
I want in too. Thats bloody criminal. Thats a deliberate attempt to scam by designing an oem fuse when these god damn things are everywhere in a cheaper form.

I actually pulled the old one apart and all it is, is mostly air, 2 copper (too soft to be anything else)flat wires connected to the lugs and soldered in the middle.

gazza2006au
06-12-2018, 07:22 PM
There may be patents on a fuse design and rather than pay someone else's ransom money they have designed there own, i would pay the $50 and learn from the lesson the lesson may cost u $50 but be glad the battery never exploded and covered u from head to toe in battery acid

Open that wallet Dig its called owning a boat lol

scottar
06-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Shop away lads

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=fusible+link

Dignity
06-12-2018, 09:11 PM
There may be patents on a fuse design and rather than pay someone else's ransom money they have designed there own, i would pay the $50 and learn from the lesson the lesson may cost u $50 but be glad the battery never exploded and covered u from head to toe in battery acid

Open that wallet Dig its called owning a boat lol
Bring Out Another Thousand. I don't mind spending the money just when I looked at the quality of the damned thing it annoyed me, I pay half that price for a reasonable circuit breaker. I see from Scots link above that Narva have one for $15, more the right cost.

scottar
06-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Just make sure you check the dimensions Sam. I'm not sure whether they are a standard format but suspect they will be.

gazza2006au
06-12-2018, 10:52 PM
Dig lol, is your engine still under warranty? Be cautious if so

Dignity
07-12-2018, 06:25 AM
Just make sure you check the dimensions Sam. I'm not sure whether they are a standard format but suspect they will be.

Scott, did that, 48 mm x 21 mm, found them for $7.55ea so bought 2. I had trouble locating the fuse as I didn't know it was called an L Link, made all the difference in searching.

Dig lol, is your engine still under warranty? Be cautious if so

Out of warranty, need it for a spare only, surprisingly the local dealer up here said he wouldn't use a genuine and to look for an automotive equivalent.

Funchy
07-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Sam why do you need a spare when you don't take your big boat out anyway :P

Dignity
07-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Sam why do you need a spare when you don't take your big boat out anyway :P

Luke I do but mid week, had it out last week although not comfortable in 20 knots, followed by the storm that went through the CBD last Wednesday, washed the boat down for me although driving across the Gateway was interesting with the wind which had picked up ahead of the storm. You unfortunately have to work so cant come out, and of course now there is this bloody wind that's going to hang around for another week or so.

stevej
07-12-2018, 12:41 PM
the dealer has to buy so many parts to be able to stock the engine, the bloke has to cover the cost and the cost of holding the part forever

$50 in the scheme of things isnt the end of the world

Dignity
07-12-2018, 04:29 PM
the dealer has to buy so many parts to be able to stock the engine, the bloke has to cover the cost and the cost of holding the part forever

$50 in the scheme of things isnt the end of the world

Stevej, the dealers stock virtually nothing these days, every part I've bought from the dealer has had to be ordered in from Yammy and takes a week, even the grease nipple I just bought, Yamaha Aust only had 3 in Australia. It seems that L Link fuses are a fairly common item and at around $8 in round figures $50 is quite a bit of cream on top. Ill spend the money if its warranted, even the Yammy dealer told me to source it from Repco or similar organisation.

scottar
07-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Not really surprising that the local dealer told you to source elsewhere at that price. He is obviously a stand up guy who realises that if you saw one at Repco after he charged you $50 for one, the next time you needed a service, you would probably tell him to whistle dixie. Used to do the same thing when I was in the game if there was a viable option. Most clients are only to happy to pass on good word of mouth after this sort of experience and the opposite spreads like wild fire.

Volvo
07-12-2018, 05:21 PM

Sure you dont live in Happyrock ( Gladstone ) do you mate :)???..Just been through that with a short antenna for my VHF and ended up going through Fleabay at days end . Not that i wanted to but price difference !!..

tunaticer
07-12-2018, 08:51 PM
I bought a new yamaha thermostat today....$71.....can buy them for half of that genuine elsewhere, but i wanted to go fishing this afternoon.

stevej
07-12-2018, 10:38 PM
bit of a generalsation my local has almost everything on hand for my yamaha

point still stands any stock they have they have outlaid cash for and may not recover it for years

catshark
07-12-2018, 10:55 PM
some of those fuses range from 40-120 amps, apart from dimensions, can you get away with tolerances, say if it takes a 50 amp fuse, you be mad to go higher but is it safe to go as low as a 30 amp fuse. lm thinking if you had a etec, you'd have to be spot on however with a tohatsu you could get away with a smaller fuse.

Noelm
08-12-2018, 04:49 AM
Can't really see why the outboard brand would make a difference to the fuse size, fuses are there for a reason, and the rating is selected by the manufacturer to protect yourself and your motor, replacements must be like for like (unless in an emergency maybe) you can't replace a 50a fuse with a 30a just because it's a Tohatsu.

Andy56
08-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Can't really see why the outboard brand would make a difference to the fuse size, fuses are there for a reason, and the rating is selected by the manufacturer to protect yourself and your motor, replacements must be like for like (unless in an emergency maybe) you can't replace a 50a fuse with a 30a just because it's a Tohatsu.

. Because it says 50A fuse doesn't mean the circuit will run at 50A. 50A is probably set as a last resort " save the house" rating.
Fuses dont always mean exactly what the rating says too. You can have slow blow and fast blow fuses. If the circuitry runs close to 50A, they will have a slow blow. If the circuitry runs at 20A, it will be a fast blow. And any variation inbetween

Noelm
08-12-2018, 03:05 PM
. Because it says 50A fuse doesn't mean the circuit will run at 50A. 50A is probably set as a last resort " save the house" rating.
Fuses dont always mean exactly what the rating says too. You can have slow blow and fast blow fuses. If the circuitry runs close to 50A, they will have a slow blow. If the circuitry runs at 20A, it will be a fast blow. And any variation inbetween
Yep, know all about that stuff, but still doesn't explain why an e-tec will be different to a Tohatsu when it comes to fuses.

catshark
08-12-2018, 09:03 PM
im assuming etecs are more sensitive in electrics and circuitry, hence keeping the right fuse spot on , however tohatsu i assume are more robust outboards can get away with a bit more neglect. however its clear cut now thanks to post #20

stevej
09-12-2018, 08:03 AM
your assumptions would be wrong as modern tohatsus have computers and sensors just like any other engine just the etec has/had multiple cpus

Fed
09-12-2018, 08:19 AM
How does shorting across the battery terminals blow the main engine fuse anyway?

scottar
09-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Could be to do with the way the charging is set up for the auxillary battery.

gazza2006au
09-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Fed the positive battery power flows backwards and thru the block mate using huge amperage which blows the fuse as the whole engine acts like one huge ass resistor that is my theory others will probably judge it but have a nice day anyway :)

Fed
09-12-2018, 01:00 PM
He didn't connect it wrongly he shorted across the battery gazza.

gazza2006au
09-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Because the power cables are still connected its reversing the polarity ie: power running up the earth cable on the engine than power running thru the whole block by bridging the terminals

Dignity
09-12-2018, 04:20 PM
no idea why guys, it blew, its been replaced and spares in place. BTW the Narva one is so much better constructed than the genuine yammy one

gazza2006au
09-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Dig if your engine is still under warranty be careful because usually mechanics that work for the big brands know there engines and anything u have messed with they may decline warranty repairs on

frank100
09-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Fed, I think shorting the battery with the isolator turned on may have produced a back emf which could blow the fuse as the short is being disconnected (ringing due to inductors in the cct.).
Gazza, stick to building trailers.

Dignity
10-12-2018, 05:51 AM
Dig if your engine is still under warranty be careful because usually mechanics that work for the big brands know there engines and anything u have messed with they may decline warranty repairs on

Gaz, as mentioned in Post #9, well out of warranty, genuine fuse in place, spares are non genuine and I can be so lazy I haven't bothered to remove the cowl to put one in its slot on the motor and just left them in the glove box in their packaging.

Almako
10-12-2018, 05:54 AM
3 pages of Fuze talk good job.

frank100
10-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Dig, Have you checked that the motor still charges the battery ? Just thinking if you have blown the engine fuse it is possible that the alternator diodes may also have been damaged. If you haven't already I'd recommend running the motor on muffs & checking the batteries are being charged,
Regards
Frank

Dignity
10-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Dig, Have you checked that the motor still charges the battery ? Just thinking if you have blown the engine fuse it is possible that the alternator diodes may also have been damaged. If you haven't already I'd recommend running the motor on muffs & checking the batteries are being charged,
Regards
Frank
Will do in the next couple of days, I'm thinking as it is the Main Engine Fuse the diodes should be ok.

Dignity
10-12-2018, 04:48 PM
3 pages of Fuze talk good job.
Maybe if I start talking about resoldering the old fuse I can get it to at least 5 pages

brett62
10-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Maybe if I start talking about resoldering the old fuse I can get it to at least 5 pages

Lets run with that Dig.

What type of solder will you be using and at what temperature.;D

Dignity
10-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Brett can you offer some suggestions, also wondering will that increase the resistance and change it from a 50 amp :)

gazza2006au
10-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Ah sorry Dig

Frank i done that a couple of weeks ago reversed polarity on a old donk blew rectifier

frank100
10-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Dig / Brett, I recommend at least 4 folds of the ally coated paper from a cigarette packet, 3 folds will be well below 50A. ( cigy paper will negate the need to solder !)
ps. fold carefully & ensure contact to the ally to avoid an open cct. ).
Regards
Frank

Dignity
10-12-2018, 09:44 PM
Frank, what about some ally foil from the kitchen, would that do as I don't want to take up smoking again.

frank100
10-12-2018, 09:54 PM
Dig, it certainly will, because it will contain more ally / sq. M I would have to caution using more than 3 folds as this may exceed the desired 50Amp rating. ie "use with caution". Also since there is no paper involved the result will be a fuse with a much better fire rating. A wise move, safety first !
Regards
Frank

scottar
10-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Should it be shiny side in or out?😂😂😨♨🚒

Dignity
11-12-2018, 06:03 AM
Or do I even need the housing, just roll the cigarete packet foil 4 times and screw it direct across the terminals,

frank100
11-12-2018, 07:59 AM
Scottar, Now your being silly. Shiny side out of course, one must make the appearance as good as possible. Have you ever bought a dull looking fuse instead a nice bright shiny one?
Dig, I'm liking your minimalist approach but must caution you on the loss of waterproofing, also your reintroduction of the paper backing of the cigarette foil will affect the fire rating (safety !, mate , safety !)
Regards
Frank

Dignity
11-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Oh! I wasn't thinking, how about I roll some alfoil, stick it through a piece of plastic tubing, clear of course so I can see it and voila, as waterproof as the original which is totally not even mist proof.

Steeler
11-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Closing in on 5, keep up the great work.

frank100
11-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Dig, Love your work and attention to detail, keep it up mate you'll make a fortune ! (not sure if you will make 5 pages, can I suggest Photos of the finished product to promote a couple more posts)
Regards
Frank

scottar
11-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Not to mention a good public liability insurance policy if you choose to go into production. Maybe even sell each one with a bonus fire extinguisher............just in case. ;D

If I hadn't actually seen this done on more than one occasion, usually followed by "What do you mean it's a write off now?" …….:-?

Dignity
14-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Regards
Frank

Well the fuel tank went back in yesterday after I found the leak, it was in sender unit, repaired and no fuel smells, and she's charging well on both charge circuits.

I need to find time now to make my new Alfoil fuse, will post pics when I make it.

Moejoes
14-12-2018, 05:17 PM
I'll help you get to 5 Dignity but it looks like you have way too much time on your hands ;D

Dignity
14-12-2018, 08:57 PM
I'll help you get to 5 Dignity but it looks like you have way too much time on your hands ;D

Rob, I think we need to go up tomorrow night, have a few beers and on Sunday do some more prop testing on your boat. I lifted my motor a hoke so I should bring my boat up and do some testing on it as well.

scottar
14-12-2018, 09:05 PM
Not sure you need beers Sam.............WTF's a "hoke";)

frank100
14-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Hope, you are two consenting adults if your going to be "hoking" together.
Regards
Frank

Moejoes
15-12-2018, 07:34 AM
Hahhahaha, I a bit concerned as well :P

Hope, you are two consenting adults if your going to be "hoking" together.
Regards
Frank

Dignity
15-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Hole, cav plate on last test was still a bit deep.

Dignity
15-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Only because of this weather, I've still got the option of fishing some areas of the Passage for flatties in the tinnie.

gazza2006au
15-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Dig looking at your title u could be come a plumber and have your head down the toilet when a sudden back flow starts and the toilet spurts... i tried looking for a picture but man there all to graphic lmao