PDA

View Full Version : 3 Outings smaller boat sprung a leak, Fund the culprit

gazza2006au
05-12-2018, 01:30 PM
First outing in the smaller boat she was dry as a nut 2nd and 3rd outing she took on about 70 litres of water i suspected the bungs but than took a look and found the damage a hole in the hull it must have had a bad roller at one point and the roller mount has damaged the hull

a previous owner has replaced the roller but left the hole and just patched it with silicone

i plan on taking the boat up the driveway and rolling it back a foot on the trailer than grinding out the damage sand it back with the orbital than acetone wipe than fill it with bog, sand and paint, Right method?

how would u do it? i need to learn the correct method for the big boat i have

Lovey80
05-12-2018, 03:21 PM
Is it gelcoat? I wouldn’t be using bog either way. Just grab some flow coat, fill the hole with it and rub it back smooth..

552Evo
05-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Out of interest: because I don’t know,
Since the hole goes through the hull and if it’s in the roller path, wouldn’t you need to install some sort of support as well as fill it up with flow coat ?
I mean support behind the hole to give it some mechanical strength.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

scottar
05-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Good series on you tube Gazza by boatworks today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9hfpOCnzEs

I'd say to repair properly it will need fibre reinforcement.

gazza2006au
05-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Ahh the big boat i have access to both sides of the hole in the hull but the little boat i need to repair now i only have access to the outside the damage is around 25x5mm

what about these JB Weld Marine Putty's?

Fed
05-12-2018, 07:41 PM
I'd cover it with flow coat and take it out for a test.
If the leak stops fix it properly with mat and resin.
If it still leaks look at your transom penetrations.

brett62
05-12-2018, 08:21 PM
You don't need access to both sides to repair. Do it properly as you have a roller supporting the hull in that spot and just filling is not the answer IMO.

catshark
05-12-2018, 08:27 PM
ive had a bit of battle damage in some of my hulls, i just done the flow coat repair and bobs your uncle..

Cox76y
05-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Gazza,
as it is in a spot that is subject to considerable wear from the trailer roller anything other than grinding it back, re glassing it and then gelcoating it is only a bandaid solution i believe..

gazza2006au
05-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Here is a different angle

shakey55
06-12-2018, 04:52 AM
As some have said - don’t use band aids.

Grind out effected area, lay a little glass, sand, gelcoat.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

gazza2006au
06-12-2018, 04:15 PM
I have enough crap on the go guys 2 boats to repair, a trailer to build, a car to fix and register, a Etec to rebuild my life is for filled lol i'm knocking this one of the list for now i picked up some JB marine weld https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/waterweld-568g-14452133.html?source=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi57gBRDqARIsABhDSMq8BSPNVtst-H2N0o9UxQuc_o-2NJe6MvFh3zukU0r4S1Gt_SNuz2YaAustEALw_wcB it will have to do for now if it falls off i will reputty untill winter that is if i dont sell the boat after summer

need the boat ready for this weekend i have spiked some interest in my mate who i go fishing with about heading down the coast launching at Port Kembla and do some outside trolling for big Mack Tuna's around the islands on some Rapala and Halco lures or down rigging the breakwall if its rough outside

prety keen to get stuck back into the trailer but i am wasting all my cash on going fishing ;)

brett62
06-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Well why ask how to fix if you already planned to just do a crap fix ?

scottar
06-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Well why ask how to fix if you already planned to just do a crap fix ?

:LMAO: How long you been around here Brett??;)

catshark
06-12-2018, 08:54 PM
certainly your spreading yourself thin with all the projects, dont feel guilty going fishing, projects do get tedious and costly, whats the plan when you complete the big boat, do you keep the smaller one or flog it or see how they compare and then decide.

gazza2006au
06-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Well my plan of repair was to bog the hole hence i asked for the right way to do it which i was told.

I took a quicker option because i wont be able to go fishing this weekend.

Have i for filled your question brett?

Cat this little boat will be getting sold im just having a little bit of fun with it for now, i plan on keeping the big boat with the alloy trailer and hopefully etec, this little boat is cool but its limited to 3 people fishing so i'll sell it to pay some bills and buy some more supplies for big boat

brett62
07-12-2018, 05:40 AM
Well my plan of repair was to bog the hole hence i asked for the right way to do it which i was told.

I took a quicker option because i wont be able to go fishing this weekend.

Have i for filled your question brett? ​

Cat this little boat will be getting sold im just having a little bit of fun with it for now, i plan on keeping the big boat with the alloy trailer and hopefully etec, this little boat is cool but its limited to 3 people fishing so i'll sell it to pay some bills and buy some more supplies for big boat

NO. but carry on.:-?

stevej
07-12-2018, 12:43 PM
so you did a dodgy repair and are going to sell it to someone like that ?

maybe focus on one thing at a time as like most of your projects they will all end up at the tip

gazza2006au
07-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Steve your a very negative person, Which of my projects are u referring to that have ended up at a tip?

stevej
07-12-2018, 10:41 PM
negative or correcting the rubbish on your posts

the almost finished timber boat
ive never seen a post on sydney angler fishraider here of the myriad of things you start finished so assumed the rest went to the tip tip

still didnt answer my question you plan to sell a boat that leaked 70l of water with a skim of bog

billfisher
08-12-2018, 01:25 PM
What do you mean by bog? Why would you use anything other than fiberglass resin and chopped strand then gel coat? I find it a bit strange to ask for advice too, when you want to do a dodgy repair.

The trick is to grind any area much bigger than the whole and glass it. It would be better to do this from the inside though.

gazza2006au
08-12-2018, 07:36 PM
negative or correcting the rubbish on your posts

the almost finished timber boat
ive never seen a post on sydney angler fishraider here of the myriad of things you start finished so assumed the rest went to the tip tip

still didnt answer my question you plan to sell a boat that leaked 70l of water with a skim of bog

I think u are skipping bits from my post and only reading what u want to hear Steve i have said it more than once what happen with the BMD boat and yes i answered your question on this page if u had read my post...