PDA

View Full Version : Solo Launching

552Evo
02-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Just saw a method of solo launching on a popular/mainstream fishing show.
Seems like a nice idea in theory but I'm not sold, too much of a risk for over $70K investment for me.
Even though the host was launching his new stabicraft CC. So I'll ask here does anyone use this or a similar method for anything but a tinny/beater/sacrificial boat ?
The whole process wasn't shown, only the last step.
So I'll try fill in the blanks.
The idea is before you reverse down the ramp, tie a decent rope from the front end of the trailer to a easily accessible gunnel cleat and leave a small amount of slack.
I'm guessing there would be some sort of slip knot at the gunnel cleat.
Then carefully loosen and remove the winch strap from the tow eye on the boat letting the rope take all the weight.
Then remove the chain... So the only thing holding the boat is the rope !
Reverse the boat into the water, start the engine and engage forward drive to push the boat forward and make the rope slack.
Untie the slip knot and the boat is free.
Tie off the boat and collect the car/trailer and park it.
I guess you'd have to remove the rope from the trailer.
Jump in the boat - go fishing.
Retrieving would be normal process ( without the rope I'm assuming ).

Does anyone use this or a similar method ?
I'm pretty confident with ropes and knots but mmmmm it just doesn't seem like a very good idea to me ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigE
02-12-2018, 06:42 PM
I launch a 6.7 meter F/G by myself on a regular basis , actually if i have inexperienced deckies i still do it all myself and most times i'm quicker than 2 or 3 guys.

I use an L N R boat catch on a redco sportsman trailer to launch and retrieve and 2 fenders to keep it from rubbing on the pontoon while i park or get the car.

works a treat i can launch and retrieve without getting my feet wet at all. just takes some thought and practice and a bit of confidence.

BigE

Marchy001
02-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Have not seen that method but I launch solo myself more often than not. No boat latch or anything although it’s on the list to buy.
Back trailer in shimmy down trailer reach over side start engine and put it in gear. Give some revs depending on ramp slope. Move back to front unhook winch and chain. Shimmy back down jump over the side and drive away. Reverse the above when I get back after the trip. No need for ropes when doing the above.

catshark
02-12-2018, 08:56 PM
sure the rope can be used for quick release, but you have to have faith in your knot and knowledge on how different rope behaves under weight and from friction. being a old school rigger , working with different rope over the years, ive seen rope lift troopcarriers , but would i use this method myself, No because its pointless and doesnt get your boat launched any quicker and i reckon you would look like a chat.

scottar
02-12-2018, 09:53 PM
No need for knots. It can be eye spliced and there is no need for any real risk. The winch and safety can be left on until the boat is over water. The safety is then removed and the boat winched down until the rope takes up. Winch is then disconnected, boat started and motored up until there is enough slack to get rid of the rope - usually hung on some sort of hook attached to the side of the trailer. Power down and the boat slides off. Only element of risk is if the cleat is not within reach of the helm. Retrieving is the reverse procedure.

ranmar850
02-12-2018, 11:16 PM
May as well get some form of latch. I used to launch solo all the time, just back it in, push it off, tie up to pontoon, drive trailer up to park. And I can still do that with the Reefrunner, if I wish. or I can back it down, jump up over the side, and reverse off the L&R boatlatch.

Smithy
03-12-2018, 06:37 AM
Yep set that system up for a mate near his mud guard. Retrieving, you only have to reach over with a gaff to grab the rope and place on a rear cleat. Only slides back 6"-12". Get out of the boat onto the mudguard, come around the front and connect the winch and safety like normal.

Dirtyfuzz
03-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Sounds more complicated than it needs to be! I just tie a line(bowline loops)from trailer to bowsprit(rope longer than trailer) reverse down till boat is in enough water to float transom, take off chain and winch reverse down a bit more and hit the brakes to let the boat slide off, remove rope from bowsprit or trailer, tie off and park car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copie
03-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Done it many time before made this up to assist with retreiving so it was aesy to reach the rope. Tied the rope to the tow bar and then to the boat with a little slack, hop in the boat drive forward untie and off you go.
i now have an L&R catch would not be with out one.

552Evo
03-12-2018, 12:12 PM
How do those catch mechanisms go with a corrugated concrete ramp ?
I'd hate for it to rattle/bump and let go bumping down the ramp when launching.

ranmar850
03-12-2018, 02:22 PM
How do those catch mechanisms go with a corrugated concrete ramp ?
I'd hate for it to rattle/bump and let go bumping down the ramp when launching.

You have to be careful with ANY kind of catch/release setup. Have a look at the boys from Hook,Line and Sinker dropping a 720 BarCrusher on the ramp.

https://www.facebook.com/downrigger/videos/506571963174089/

They were obviously relying completely on the BarCatch to hold the boat--you know, where you intend to have your mate just back down, and you just drive off. Yes, very cool. Until you are the blokes all over FB for dumping it on the ramp;D I have an L&R Boatlatch recently fitted. First use was up an Exmouth , did 9 days there, launching at marina ramp. Worked perfectly. BUT, I always had the safety chain on, with a big ss snaplink. Son just had to get out of the car, unhook the snaplink, , off I went . Maybe 40 seconds more. And guess what? First time back at my local ramp this morning, instruct mate on how it works. He backs down, flattish bumpy sort of ramp, I felt the boat move back a little and come up tight. Got into the water, yes, the latch had popped open on the bumps, only the safety chain saved me. I'm guessing I had left it on Launch to back down, as anyone would who just wanted to be the coolest at the ramp.
This has been recently discussed on another forum, and a Bar Crusher owner reckon it could never happen, "they must have @@@##D up" (because it hadn't happened to him in all of a years ownership::)) No mate, it is very easy for it to happen, if you put whatever device it is in Launch, and rely on the weight of the boat resting against the catch to keep it there, until you are ready to drive forward to make it release. Bumps, strong electric over hydraulic brakes dabbed just a little too hard....you just need to leave a safety chain on there until you are ready to go. And leave it in Retrieve, until your are actually in the water. Very safe, then.
The Boat Catch type of device is a bit different, it relies on the bloke in the boat pulling a lanyard, once in the water, to release. Pros and cons, also very expensive

blacklab
03-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Hi Evo, I have seen 3 boats on Hastings ramp over the last 3-4 years come off the trailer due to the corrigation and being reliant on there catch fitting.
I use the boat catch version ( and I'm not trying to provoke a brand debate) and I never have the chain or winch strap on reversing or pulling the boat out I soly rely on the boat latch itself, it has a positive locking set up, it wont unlatch. the three accidents I have seen, did not have that brand.
I also have a mate that still uses the rope system, he cant figure out why anyone would spend the coin on a new ubute modern device, when a cheap rope does the trick !! Well, been out with him numerous times, no issues, would I use the same set up for my boat,, nope.....
The trick is to no the limitations of the product or system you use and use it accordingly.
I was from an era where you winched the boat on at the ramp, times have changed, guess we must move with them....

Col

Moonlighter
03-12-2018, 05:22 PM
You have to be careful with ANY kind of catch/release setup. Have a look at the boys from Hook,Line and Sinker dropping a 720 BarCrusher on the ramp.

https://www.facebook.com/downrigger/videos/506571963174089/

They were obviously relying completely on the BarCatch to hold the boat--you know, where you intend to have your mate just back down, and you just drive off. Yes, very cool. Until you are the blokes all over FB for dumping it on the ramp;D I have an L&R Boatlatch recently fitted. First use was up an Exmouth , did 9 days there, launching at marina ramp. Worked perfectly. BUT, I always had the safety chain on, with a big ss snaplink. Son just had to get out of the car, unhook the snaplink, , off I went . Maybe 40 seconds more. And guess what? First time back at my local ramp this morning, instruct mate on how it works. He backs down, flattish bumpy sort of ramp, I felt the boat move back a little and come up tight. Got into the water, yes, the latch had popped open on the bumps, only the safety chain saved me. I'm guessing I had left it on Launch to back down, as anyone would who just wanted to be the coolest at the ramp.
This has been recently discussed on another forum, and a Bar Crusher owner reckon it could never happen, "they must have @@@##D up" (because it hadn't happened to him in all of a years ownership::)) No mate, it is very easy for it to happen, if you put whatever device it is in Launch, and rely on the weight of the boat resting against the catch to keep it there, until you are ready to drive forward to make it release. Bumps, strong electric over hydraulic brakes dabbed just a little too hard....you just need to leave a safety chain on there until you are ready to go. And leave it in Retrieve, until your are actually in the water. Very safe, then.
The Boat Catch type of device is a bit different, it relies on the bloke in the boat pulling a lanyard, once in the water, to release. Pros and cons, also very expensive

I agree 100%.

My Surtees came with their own super simple QUIK-HITCH trailer catch, and it works a absolute treat. Makes single handed launching and retrieving safe, quick and easy. And with an experienced helper, even better.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X0BsHwm-Bds

Whilst the Surtees system would be very (extremely) unlikely to let go of the boat while being backed down or towed up (watch the video and see why), I never undo the winch or safety chain until the trailer is backed in and the boat is ready to launch. Same when retrieving, we dont drive away until at least the safety chain or winch cable is also connected up. Usually, both.

I have had L&R catch devotees claim its impossible for that model to open and let the boat go before you pull the pin, but ....

Anyone with the most basic knowledge about safety and risk will tell you NEVER to rely on just 1 thing when the consequences of that 1 thing failing can be catastrophic or even fatal. In a commercial enviornment that simply would not even be contemplated.

Now, getting back to the original question, there is no doubt that fitting one of these catches is FAR better than using the motor to power-hold the boat on the trailer while you attend to the trailer connections.

Why? Several reasons - you rely on the motor not stopping etc, and hope that no idiot gets behind it while you cant see and gets cut to shreds by the prop, and most important, the motor sitting there pushing the boat on while you sort things out gouges out the material at the end of the ramp making it dangerous.

At some ramps, this “power loading” approach is actually banned for these reasons. Whereas with a boat catch of one kind or another, its all done super fast with minimal if any scouring happening, and always with someone’s hand on the wheel and throttle to react to changing circumstamces.

552Evo
03-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone this is interesting and thanks for all the information.
Blacklab, how do you go if you aren’t happy with how the boat aligns to the trailer when retrieving?
I’m relatively still a newbie with 3 years trailer boat experience and about 1 in 5 times I need to re-do the “drive on” whether it’s due to wind or tight spaces with a busy ramp.
Normally my boat self aligns onto the trailer but,, you know. Maybe you don’t, I’m not suggesting anyone doesn’t get their boat on the trailer,,,,
Anyway, so if the boat isn’t 100% aligned can/would the latch engage ?

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

NAGG
03-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone this is interesting and thanks for all the information.
Blacklab, how do you go if you aren’t happy with how the boat aligns to the trailer when retrieving?
I’m relatively still a newbie with 3 years trailer boat experience and about 1 in 5 times I need to re-do the “drive on” whether it’s due to wind or tight spaces with a busy ramp.
Normally my boat self aligns onto the trailer but,, you know. Maybe you don’t, I’m not suggesting anyone doesn’t get their boat on the trailer,,,,
Anyway, so if the boat isn’t 100% aligned can/would the latch engage ?

Don't feel too bad about how long it takes you to get a boat onto a trailer - particularly solo . I've got 24 years of boat ownership under my belt - all my boats / trailers have been drive on / drive off ……. & yet there are those days where it all seems to go pear-shaped - for countless reasons. My excuses could range from wind , tide , current , ramp , boat traffic or a combination of all the above ….. in general though as someone who is solo 80% of the time - I get it right 80% of the time ……… & there is nothing better in wank factor launching / retrieving a boat solo quicker than the team next to you at the ramp .

It does have a lot to do with the trailer set up & getting the depth right . The Barcrusher with the bar catch has made life a lot easier …… drive up - listen for the "Click" , turn the motor off .... step over the front onto the spare tyre & drawbar ..... drive off (mostly without getting your feet wet).

Chris

RayLamp
03-12-2018, 05:47 PM
This video is damn close to how I do it. It really is easy and as long as your trailer is in at the right depth, the boat self centres well enough to always latch on. https://vimeo.com/195050123

blacklab
03-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Hi Evo,
Hey, I've put my boat on, so out of line, when my deckie drove us out, we had to back down and re do it.
Generally now, I get it pretty right, but it's only been by trial and era and knowing what to look for, but occasionally I will float back
then attempt it again. But the boat catch latches on pretty well whether the boat is perfectly straight or not.
I have been looking at that new big V product that there selling now, to swap out my front stop roller thingie !
they are suppose to guide the boat for that last foot or so. My roller up front is pretty worn anyhow, so I may fit that one up.

scottar
03-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Sounds more complicated than it needs to be! I just tie a line(bowline loops)from trailer to bowsprit(rope longer than trailer) reverse down till boat is in enough water to float transom, take off chain and winch reverse down a bit more and hit the brakes to let the boat slide off, remove rope from bowsprit or trailer, tie off and park car!

Some of us have trailers where the rollers actually...……..roll - deliberately even. Nothing complicated about a bit of rope the right length with an eye spliced in either end. Personally I don't drive on or off and use a controlled descent from the trailer via the brake knob on the powerwinch. If you just let her go, the shock loading when stuff comes tight isn't a good thing. Single handed where I launch simply means I leave the front of the boat in the roller cradle to stop the current taking it if I'm on a run out tide.

Boat catches of whatever brand, do their job well but IMO should never be relied upon for transit up or down the ramp. I am also not a fan of some designs as far as being a securing point for trailering either. The extra leverage due to the size of the hoop fitted to the bow opens it up like it's made of playdoh in an "Oh shit" moment - I've seen the results first hand.

Dignity
03-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Some of us have trailers where the rollers actually...……..roll - deliberately even. Nothing complicated about a bit of rope the right length with an eye spliced in either end. Personally I don't drive on or off and use a controlled descent from the trailer via the brake knob on the powerwinch. If you just let her go, the shock loading when stuff comes tight isn't a good thing. Single handed where I launch simply means I leave the front of the boat in the roller cradle to stop the current taking it if I'm on a run out tide.

Boat catches of whatever brand, do their job well but IMO should never be relied upon for transit up or down the ramp. I am also not a fan of some designs as far as being a securing point for trailering either. The extra leverage due to the size of the hoop fitted to the bow opens it up like it's made of playdoh in an "Oh shit" moment - I've seen the results first hand.
Scott, I rarely manage to get the boat all the way up on the trailer when driving on, now I notice that the trailer is probably not deep enough but to do as per Raylamps video the vehicle would have to have the rear wheels submerged where I launch. I recently retrieved the boat by winching it on as the ramp was so shallow I had no other choice, what I'm interested in is that you launch your boat by releasing the brake on your power winch, something I hadn't thought of as often I know I'm going to come back when the tide is going to be low. I keep meaning to throw the battery drill in the car to unwind the power winch as its so slow with the handle but keep forgetting.

TREVELLY
03-12-2018, 08:24 PM
I have used the boat catch for several years but do not count on it - I have a chain with quick release I connect to boat as well then I do not have to bother with winch strap or turn-buckle etc - very fast and very safe.

I did a trip in after camping Musgrave to 1770 as a storm approached on dusk - boat on trailer - 3 kids and adult onboard plus camping gear - halfway up the ramp the catch had not engaged the pin properly which is easily missed in the dark in a storm and the boat slid back pull up the catch on chain - it stressed the catch but did not let go. Would have been real ugly if it did. I have a bigger catch now

RayLamp
03-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Here is a video of a septic using a rope method on a bunk trailer. I still wouldn't trust it - i keep the safety, winch along with the L&R on until the boat is in the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajrwuv7aCLw

Chimo
03-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Re unwinding the powerwinch
I let the boat do the unwinding all the way to the end of the trailer so the hook is in place and ready to haul the boat on.
I still use the climbing eight as the brake and with it I can control the speed of the Vagabond rolling off the Timka multi roller trailer

In fact with one hand I can stop the bot part way down if I choose to. Certainly don't let it go full speed as it would end up on the other side of the channel,
The paynter then gets used after the powerwich hook and the "Eight" brake line is released.

I never drive on either and have minimal maintenance required on triler hubs rotors and brake pades etc which is just as I like it.

scottar
03-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Scott, I rarely manage to get the boat all the way up on the trailer when driving on, now I notice that the trailer is probably not deep enough but to do as per Raylamps video the vehicle would have to have the rear wheels submerged where I launch. I recently retrieved the boat by winching it on as the ramp was so shallow I had no other choice, what I'm interested in is that you launch your boat by releasing the brake on your power winch, something I hadn't thought of as often I know I'm going to come back when the tide is going to be low. I keep meaning to throw the battery drill in the car to unwind the power winch as its so slow with the handle but keep forgetting.

Like Chimo, I never drive on Sam - always retrieve by winch and using the knob on the winch results in a very controlled descent into the water - provided your rollers roll ……..and you don't undo the knob too far (learnt that the scary way). Back the knob off gradually and then adjust as the boats slides off to control the speed

catshark
03-12-2018, 08:53 PM
the boys dropped that barcrusher on purpose, makes for great television and shows how tough bar crusher is , think i might buy one .. some good tips here on solo launching from members too

blacklab
03-12-2018, 09:34 PM
I had never driven on/off before this current boat.
Unfortunately, if you don't here in Victoria, well, the natives get VERY restless.
Was a new experience for me, but second nature now, launching and retrieving time with driver is less than a minute.
Lack of ramps and conditions down here, generally means, unless during the week in winter, you have cues, with plenty of ramp rage.

Col

ranmar850
03-12-2018, 10:48 PM
the boys dropped that barcrusher on purpose, makes for great television and shows how tough bar crusher is , think i might buy one .. some good tips here on solo launching from members too
yeah, and landing on concrete give you a preview of the ride....;D

ranmar850
03-12-2018, 10:57 PM
I had never driven on/off before this current boat.
Unfortunately, if you don't here in Victoria, well, the natives get VERY restless.
Was a new experience for me, but second nature now, launching and retrieving time with driver is less than a minute.
Lack of ramps and conditions down here, generally means, unless during the week in winter, you have cues, with plenty of ramp rage.

Col
I'd never done much of it until I fitted the L&R, just before our last trip to Exmouth. Launching in the local marina, dual ramp. EVERYONE local drives on. It all runs fast and smooth. When you get back to the ramp, you nose up to the jetty, drop off the driver, then back off and just mill around. The driver is the one who works out whose turn it is. See him backing down, start moving in, hit the trailer just as he stops. He gets out, guides you the last bit, hooks on the safety and winch cable( steep ramp), and off you go. Get a pair of old blokes in a tinny who want to winch on, and occupy the jetty finger while one backs in the trailer, and one ramp is just shut down for best part of 10 minutes.

ozscott
04-12-2018, 05:33 AM
Yep. Except not all trailers lend themselves to driving on....especially a lot of tinny trailers. Some ramps dont lend themselves to driving on either.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Chimo
04-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Have any of you guys who use the clutch on a Powerwinch 912 or similar ever looked at the actual size of it?

I had to replace one years ago, after I tightened it before turning on the power, instead of power first and then tighten it just enough to engage to drive the winch.

Just saying we can ask a lot of a gismo the size of a sixpence but with the surface area of a threepence when you subtract the hole !

ozscott
04-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Yep mate. Couldn't get mine off my tinny trailer quick enough. Have a 3 speed 1000kg on there now and can crank it up quicker than it took to set up the leccy and pull it up with the leccy before.

Cheers

Fed
04-12-2018, 06:59 AM
Have any of you guys who use the clutch on a Powerwinch 912 or similar ever looked at the actual size of it?

I had to replace one years ago, after I tightened it before turning on the power, instead of power first and then tighten it just enough to engage to drive the winch.

Just saying we can ask a lot of a gismo the size of a sixpence but with the surface area of a threepence when you subtract the hole !

I think you don't know how to use your winch Chimo.

gazza2006au
04-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D77NXfyWrw

ozscott
04-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Yep plenty of different versions of boat catching latches. Some work better than others. Cheers

ranmar850
04-12-2018, 10:44 AM
That's the L&R Boatlatch system, Gazza, same as I have. Works well, at the expense of having a big funny-shaped eye mounted to the retrieve point. Going on the video posted yesterday on page 2 of this thread, Cruisecraft are fitting them as well. They have the same weakness as most of them-once you are in Launch mode, you only need the boat to move forward a little on the trailer to have them disengage. Which is exactly what they are designed to do, so you need to A) leave them in Retrieve mode until you are in the water, and B) keep a safety on as well.
That mob must have fitted it as a promotional exercise on that Bar Crusher, they normally have their proprietorial Bar Catch system fitted,which works fine, very simple and basic, just relying on a bungee cord to operate them.

Chimo
04-12-2018, 12:08 PM
You were correct Fed and then I read the instructions and talked to their tech, so now I do.
Merry Xmas by the way!

ranmar850
04-12-2018, 12:13 PM
Powerwinch has to be the slowest of every method, full stop. They rely so much on low gearing that it is painful to watch. I can hand winch a 6 m boat a lot quicker than they can retrieve.
Let the arguments commence!

ozscott
04-12-2018, 12:20 PM
I used a high speed 4wd winch to get my Vaganond on. Other times I would drive on. That was a take no prisoners winch.

Cheers

scottar
04-12-2018, 12:46 PM
Powerwinch has to be the slowest of every method, full stop. They rely so much on low gearing that it is painful to watch. I can hand winch a 6 m boat a lot quicker than they can retrieve.
Let the arguments commence!

Lol. No argument and when it shits itself I won't get another one but the f#@$&er just won't die. Much like the anchor winch. Next winch will be home made.

Dirtyfuzz
04-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Lol. No argument and when it shits itself I won't get another one but the f#@$&er just won't die. Much like the anchor winch. Next winch will be home made.

Bit like these old evinrudes, I really want them to blow up so I can do a repower, i won’t get anything selling them and don’t see the point in getting rid of them until they give me dramas

ranmar850
04-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Quickest one I ever saw was done with a big diesel truck starter motor, running a belt drive. A cocky had rigged it up, now that thing was quick, just get out of the way!

John Buoy
04-12-2018, 03:43 PM

Here is my old invention iused I now have a Boat Catch best thing ive put on the boat !

Muzza
04-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Hey guys, boat catches certainly work and have their place, but since the thread is solo launching, should be mentioned, unless I'm wrong you still have to drive the car/trailer down, get in the boat, launch, moor the boat or beach it, get out of the boat, drive and park the car/trailer then return and get back in the boat, as you are solo.
I know it depends on ramp setup, mooring availablilty etc, but as I get older and my knees get worse, I get in the boat once and out once when I go fishing.
Drive down ramp, long bow rope, launch, float along pontoon, tie up, park car, get in boat untie and off i go if solo.
Coming in, pontoon, secure boat, car /trailer down ramp, sink trailer a bit so boat floats 3/4 up trailer, winch last bit / secure and off I go.
Totally different if you have two people, but solo, I wouldn't like climbing out of boat onto wet ramps to get back to my car.
Cheers
Muz

NAGG
04-12-2018, 05:43 PM
A mate has boat catch ..... that spring loaded hunk of stainless steel thing with a rope you pull to release - while it works the margin for error is large (small target driving on ) = not to mention that it is 800 big ones . I have to say I'm lovin the simplicity & effectiveness of the bar catch .

Chris

blacklab
04-12-2018, 05:44 PM
I think your getting confused with driving the boat on and off the trailer ? every other task is the same.
Either way you still have to climb out of your boat, drive on drive off, my feet don't touch the water, either launching or retrieving.
Yes, it may be a bit harder on old bones, but I climb up on my ute deck, step on to the bow, down thru the hatch, start up, pull the cord, drive the boat beside the jetty tie up, walk to the car and park it, reversal in driving on. with a second person, it becomes even easier. To be honest, drive on drive off looked completely alien to me 6-7 years back, having winched on for near 40 years, BUT, I am now converted, remembering back all those years, winching, boat getting thrown around at small town ramps with little protection, standing on a slimy ramp with the gumboots leaking !
I took myself down to a local ramp when I first got the boat and just sat there watching in absolute amazement at the sheer speed and simplicity of how they were doing it, no wet feet ( alone or with 2) trouble free loading !.
I was converted within an hour, but actually having a go for the first time, was a little nerving, but after a season of doing so, even this old dog cant see how anyone once seeing it done, could ever say winching was better.
Time to move with the times you crusty old bugga's !!!!
LOL

Nagg, after 2 attempts, my wife drives my boat on and off with a boat catch, she's never missed the catch yet.
You don't steer it at all, once you present the boat at the back of the trailer, boat is set, you just throttle on and the rollers guide it to the latching point, not you, the rollers are set to position the boat in place. If you actually did it once, got past the fear factor, it would all click into place. I haven't seen more than 2-3 people in 10 years winch a boat onto the trailer down here.
And as mentioned, 40 years of winching the silly way, best thing I've ever done.......

Col

Muzza
04-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Hey Blacklab,

Yeah if everything is setup right for sure. But if you don't have a ute to jump on or a boat that favors mounting at the bow and walking round to the helm, well, guess what I'm trying to say is every boat, car trailer setup is a bit different and may favour different methods.
To tell the truth I launch solo in my tinny but rarely in the platey so my deckies get to do all the work and I do drive on to the winch post if conditions are ok at times.
Cheers
Muz

Volvo
04-12-2018, 07:29 PM
With you there muzza :) , I have a remote power winch and power the boat off the trailer till it takes up at the end of trailer
Bow rope tied off at pontoon while I drive car n trailer to carpark n walk back , hop in boat , untie n motor off.
All done in reverse at days end and what makes it easier that with remote winch I can hold the boat against the back of trailer and with the remote walk up with it as its winched up n being an ATVwinch it motors on quite rappidly.
Mind you if theres a next boat I will try n have best of both world being a quick release as well as a power remote winch :)..

scottar
04-12-2018, 07:30 PM
not to mention that it is 800 big ones

Chris

Fark me. I'd want it gold plated. Expensive rope.

blacklab
04-12-2018, 07:41 PM
Hey Muzza,
Yep, that's true, not everyone uses a ute, the ones I've seen that don't have a ute, mount the boat up front, so yeah, the older we get the harder it becomes.
I was doing probably 75 % solo, mainly during the week, so had the ramps mainly to myself so I just took my time. I don't usually solo fish weekends, you would get a rocket fair where the sun don't shines, while you drove your boat to tie up. So normally 2 up, which then basically becomes less than a minute if the decky can back straight. We have a huge problem with the amount of ramps here in Melbourne, it's a serious issue, forget snapper season, you have sometimes up to about a 2 hour wait in line sometimes, and that's at 4.30 in the morning. I guess that's where a boat catch, is simply a must.

Cheers
Col

scottar
04-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Quickest one I ever saw was done with a big diesel truck starter motor, running a belt drive. A cocky had rigged it up, now that thing was quick, just get out of the way!

I have fished with a couple of WA lads - one in Bunbury had a honda stationary engine that ripped a 25 footer on at a speed that needed extremely focussed user attention ( absolutely no good for SEQ during summer :o - Powerwinch is awesome in that regard ;D) and the other was a cow cocky in Peaceful Bay that used the PTO on his tractor - close attention also required. We did one for a company owned Victory that was well quick enough years ago with a commodore starter - that's pretty much where I will be headed.

552Evo
04-12-2018, 08:51 PM
I don't usually solo fish weekends, you would get a rocket fair where the sun don't shines, while you drove your boat to tie up. So normally 2 up, which then basically becomes less than a minute if the decky can back straight. We have a huge problem with the amount of ramps here in Melbourne, it's a serious issue, forget snapper season, you have sometimes up to about a 2 hour wait in line sometimes, and that's at 4.30 in the morning. I guess that's where a boat catch, is simply a must.

Cheers
Col

Sounds like I’ve been lucky then ha ha ha. I usually have to launch at Altona and boy oh boy you get a wide variety of the population spectrum there. I think I’m pretty efficient- that’s all that counts ha ha ha.
Nobody’s had a go yet.
Although I much prefer getting to the southern end of the bay and get outside the heads.
So far I haven’t stuffed anything up or taken too long - solo launch 100% of the time, usually between 4-5am on a Saturday or Sunday. At this time of year the main car spark is full by 4ish and the paddock area is filling up by then too. I’ll here must be 150 parking spaces at least.
By the time I get back 8-10 hours later that afternoon all the boy racers on their jetskis are there too. Crazy.
I think I’ll just stick to the old get in and get out method - while I’m physically able to at least. I wouldn’t trust even the best quality rope holding all that weight alone.

Think I’d rather save for a GPS motor guide than a $$$ latch right now.

scottar
04-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Think I’d rather save for a GPS motor guide than a $$$ latch right now.

Problem solved :LMAO:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Minn+Kota+self+launch+video&view=detail&mid=A810C63CC9150450EA6DA810C63CC9150450EA6D&FORM=VIRE

What could go wrong...……….

552Evo
04-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Very smooth, nice video but exactly like you say, what could go wrong. [emoji23]

Dirtyfuzz
05-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Very smooth, nice video but exactly like you say, what could go wrong. [emoji23]

Ha imagine if you dropped the controller

NAGG
05-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Fark me. I'd want it gold plated. Expensive rope.

looks silver plated

https://boatcatch.com/

jake187
05-12-2018, 08:18 PM
im with the boat catch guys i can launch by my self with my 5 year old quicker than most groups of blokes. i spent a day setting and adjusting trailer now once the nose of boats on the trailer, any monkey could drive it on self centers and hits the catch everytime. i wouldnt own a boat bigger than a tinnie with out one. and for a 6 m boat their only $550

catshark
05-12-2018, 08:55 PM
auto deploy, WTF is happening in this world, next it be voice command, "boat come here" and "boat go find the fish, wake me when you find bait ball"

NAGG
05-12-2018, 09:31 PM
im with the boat catch guys i can launch by my self with my 5 year old quicker than most groups of blokes. i spent a day setting and adjusting trailer now once the nose of boats on the trailer, any monkey could drive it on self centers and hits the catch everytime. i wouldnt own a boat bigger than a tinnie with out one. and for a 6 m boat their only $550

Actually $849 for 6m + direct from Boat catch

$599 for up to 5.9m vessels ……. .so these are not cheap

Realistically - you would want the big gun for a boat over 5m …… I looked at these late last year for a 5m Seajay side console & the bigger / heavier / wider unit was the go

Chris

NAGG
05-12-2018, 09:40 PM
auto deploy, WTF is happening in this world, next it be voice command, "boat come here" and "boat go find the fish, wake me when you find bait ball"

honestly with boat ramps getting busier …. & a lot more inexperienced boaties …… this is the stuff that makes a big difference . I've watched 2 & 3 blokes make an absolute meal of retrieving a boat because they had to rely on the old method of holding & winching . There is definitely something to be said for drive on trailers & a catching mechanism . Other boats I have owned relied on me driving the boat up to the keel roller - leaving the boat in gear & then stepping over or leaning over the bow to hook up the winch - then tightening before turning off the motor Not so comforting when you are inexperienced .

Chris

jake187
06-12-2018, 06:03 AM
have to disagree with you nagg regards you would want the bigger one for a 5m or bigger ive ran mine on my 5.5m bost for 5 years and its been great.and their insured for up to 5.9m bloke wouldnt do that if it wouldnt work. and i no they cost a bit but with everything else people spend money on boats 600-800 for sonething that last as long or longer than you'll own the boat for the ease and time saving and the way the Melbourne boat ramps can get chocked up, if you can just drive straight up and on worth its weight in gold

NAGG
06-12-2018, 06:40 AM
have to disagree with you nagg regards you would want the bigger one for a 5m or bigger ive ran mine on my 5.5m bost for 5 years and its been great.and their insured for up to 5.9m bloke wouldnt do that if it wouldnt work. and i no they cost a bit but with everything else people spend money on boats 600-800 for sonething that last as long or longer than you'll own the boat for the ease and time saving and the way the Melbourne boat ramps can get chocked up, if you can just drive straight up and on worth its weight in gold

Not disagreeing with the effectiveness as I came close to buying one earlier this year ( that's why I know a bit about them & the price) …… The only reason I didn't because I was looking into a new boat that had a catching mechanism already . Regardless it's not cheap solution.

Chris

BigE
06-12-2018, 07:07 AM
L & R catch is the best investment i've made on my BMT.

I probably fish twice as much as i use to just because i can launch and retrieve solo safely and quickly.

Have a 6.7m boat as a garden gnome is a very expensive exercise. The L N R catch is undoubtedly the best money I have spent on my boat. everything else on the boat is worthless if i couldn't put it in the water because i lacked a deckie at short notice.

It is amazing how many 2-3hr solo trips i have done just because i can. I would never have another boat (big) with out it.

BigE

TREVELLY
06-12-2018, 07:43 AM
L & R catch is the best investment i've made on my BMT.

I probably fish twice as much as i use to just because i can launch and retrieve solo safely and quickly.

Have a 6.7m boat as a garden gnome is a very expensive exercise. The L N R catch is undoubtedly the best money I have spent on my boat. everything else on the boat is worthless if i couldn't put it in the water because i lacked a deckie at short notice.

It is amazing how many 2-3hr solo trips i have done just because i can. I would never have another boat (big) with out it.

BigE

Yeah I do the solo stuff using boat catch on a 6.25 plate boat - works a treat

seastrength
06-12-2018, 12:16 PM
I go solo all the time in my 6M CC Performance platey with boat catch. I was confident to launch and retrieve solo from day one with limited experience after a quick intro from Sam. Not sure I would use boat as much without boat catch for early morning excursions.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Dirtyfuzz
06-12-2018, 02:35 PM
When solo I Personally can’t see any benefit in a boat catch for the set up I have, I always launch and retrieve beside a pontoon and would still get out as often, as I would still be keeping the safety chain on going up and down the ramp!

seastrength
06-12-2018, 05:06 PM
I keep the safety chain and winch

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

seastrength
06-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Oops. Tapped wrong button. I keep safety chain and winch shackle on at all times until boat is in water or ready to be driven back up ramp. Never rely on boat catch only on any ramp.

scottar
06-12-2018, 08:19 PM
When solo I Personally can’t see any benefit in a boat catch for the set up I have, I always launch and retrieve beside a pontoon and would still get out as often, as I would still be keeping the safety chain on going up and down the ramp!

Same for me. If my local ramp didn't have a pontoon in the middle or had a pontoon away from the ramp, I could see the benefit. Would I fork out 800 clams...……...probably not - I suspect the bit of rope and a cleat beside the window would be where it's at. As it stands now, I'd be climbing in and out of the boat more to use one, dunking the trailer a lot further and in the grand scheme of things saving little to no time. Driving off on our local ramp would actually involve a longer wait under some circumstances should you be solo - can't allow the tide to take you sideways unless you don't like your prop and if there were boats on the pontoon behind you, you would have to wait for them so you could back out - only to then have to try and come along side the pontoon into the current ….. or take your chances with the shallow side of the ramp and the pylon retaining frames for the pontoon - only played that game once. Horses for courses I guess.

Vromme
07-12-2018, 06:21 AM
Re Glass boats:

Have a 6.5m 2.5t boat and a properly set up bunk trailer. Drive on/off solo all the time very simple and quick. Find it as easy if not easier than my little 4m glass tiller.

Only reason I would have a roller trailer is for shallow/beach launching (as I do with the tiller steer). If all typical ramp use then bunks are the go. Better on hull and only need to get the bow between the skids (even at 45dgrees) and let the bunks centre boat and drive on. Cross wind/tide not a drama. Often amazes me how long it takes some ppl to launch and retrieve.

Also cant believe blokes too lazy to wind on a winch. Good bit of exercise (but only a little in reality.)

ranmar850
07-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Re Glass boats:

Have a 6.5m 2.5t boat and a properly set up bunk trailer. Drive on/off solo all the time very simple and quick. Find it as easy if not easier than my little 4m glass tiller.

Only reason I would have a roller trailer is for shallow/beach launching (as I do with the tiller steer). If all typical ramp use then bunks are the go. Better on hull and only need to get the bow between the skids (even at 45dgrees) and let the bunks centre boat and drive on. Cross wind/tide not a drama. Often amazes me how long it takes some ppl to launch and retrieve.

Also cant believe blokes too lazy to wind on a winch. Good bit of exercise (but only a little in reality.)

well, a "properly set up" roller trailer will always self centre , too. Why are "all bunks" so superior? have a look at the trailer below.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Boat-build/i-9MZLK7H/0/eac3123e/XL/20180622_095506-XL.jpg

There is skid/bunk material (white) on the four transverse centreing frames, which make the boat centre down onto the concave rollers. Centres itself really, unless you put the trailer in too deep. Rear bunks . This carries a 6.4m glass boat. You say your 6.5m boat weighs 2.5tonne? Surely you mean boat/trailer weighs 2.5 t?

TREVELLY
07-12-2018, 01:23 PM
You say your 6.5m boat weighs 2.5tonne? Surely you mean boat/trailer weighs 2.5 t?

Full of fuel, bait, fishing tackle and fat deckie - sure

BTW I have fully rollered trailer but centering skids similar to yours - pair at front and pair at back - I can approach the trailer at 45 degrees and it will centre and align the boat even in a cross current - works a treat

The boat has to be aligned for the boat-catch to work

Vromme
08-12-2018, 06:08 AM
well, a "properly set up" roller trailer will always self centre , too. Why are "all bunks" so superior? have a look at the trailer below.
There is skid/bunk material (white) on the four transverse centreing frames, which make the boat centre down onto the concave rollers. Centres itself really, unless you put the trailer in too deep. Rear bunks . This carries a 6.4m glass boat. You say your 6.5m boat weighs 2.5tonne? Surely you mean boat/trailer weighs 2.5 t?

Didnt actually say one was superior over the other, just wouldnt choice a roller these days for normal ramp launching over skid for larger glass boats. The trailer pictured is setup more like a skid (even has skids on sides), my trailer on my little tiller is very similar to it. Works a treat for beach launching and still great on ramp. I also have a 5.2m glass boat with full roller trailer under, good for beach launchings but larger 6.5m boat is def easier to launch retrieve solo. Pretty standard roller trailer that came with boat so prob could be setup better but would be a lot of stuffing around.

Re 6.5m boat - bare hull only 1.6t, 500l fuel tank, 300hp yam, add bimini/seats/SS/hardware etc no change out of 2.5t. Recon with guys/ice/gear etc would be over.