PDA

View Full Version : Sun protection

Paul071978
21-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Hi has anyone tried the adapt a cap?

I’ve pretty much had enough of applying toxic chemicals to my skin. Would like something that covers neck and face and doesn’t blow off to easily when cruising at 30kn

gazza2006au
21-11-2018, 12:05 PM
I've got one mate who is a crack up he wears any hat he can find one time he wore one of those mexican straw hats those huge things was funny as lol

GBC
21-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Hi has anyone tried the adapt a cap?

I’ve pretty much had enough of applying toxic chemicals to my skin. Would like something that covers neck and face and doesn’t blow off to easily when cruising at 30kn

Had them for years. Those and frill neck ute's if they are still available? Good hats for centre consoles.

Paul071978
21-11-2018, 04:03 PM
On recommendation of a fellow tackle store worker and fisherman I’m going to try a headsox in combination with my regular baseball cap

TheRealPoMo
21-11-2018, 04:37 PM
I have one.
The brim is very big which caused much derision from the sun loving wife...something about Daffy Duck as I recall. It also caught the wind at 26 knots but it is a very effective sun shield with the incorporated neck and face appendages. I also got a legionnaires cap from Whitworths which protects ears and neck but face gets burnt from reflected glare. Then I got called Beau Gest or something. ..can't win.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PixieAU
21-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Something similar to frilled neck plus neck/head sock plus long sleeve and high collar fishing shirt plus wrap around sunglasses. Plus sunscreen under all of that.

Just a small part near cheek bone which gets only sunscreen

And when I take it all off at end of day it feels like I've stepped into air conditioning

catshark
21-11-2018, 07:50 PM
i just got the helmsman cap from whitworths, snug fit and covers the ears from crisping up. there was also the sou'wester hat but looks like it blow off your melon . straw hats are good but im sick off choking from the neck cord when taking off and being called a mexican isnt right , hell just give me that taco. senoir

inveratta
21-11-2018, 08:00 PM
Lol...the original premise that ordinary sun cream is toxic is laughable...but we live in a post scientific age.....

tunaticer
21-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Same murmurings were heard with thalidomide.....

Medical science evolves daily, no form of treatment today is the holy grail.

Look at treatments for headaches, siphilis, pneumonia etc. Changes as much as you change your jocks.

stevej
21-11-2018, 11:06 PM
making sure you dont need it to begin with will only make what you do apply more effective wouldnt it

to take the piss out of someone trying to avoid skin cancer is a bit well shit

GBC
22-11-2018, 05:22 AM
As I age my skin reacts to it more.

NAGG
22-11-2018, 07:05 AM
I have an Adapt a cap & a Naturehike version.
Both spend their time in the sock draw :(

The adaptacap …. is a problem with the big duck like peak - when underway ( it's a pain) & you still need sunblock for your cheeks .

The naturehike is too busy - snaps , draw cords , chin straps …. but it allows you to use it more ways incl covering the nose which is vented . The peak design is better being smaller and has built in hinges (allowing the peak to bend) - That said it has one major flaw ..… a big gap in the back (like a traditional baseball cap) not good for a bald bugger like me.

In the end - for the money paid , they barely make the grade -
If you need to go down this pathway - look for the "Araphat" ….. from what I have seen it looks better & the design is a bit better (but you will still need sunblock on the face)

OK …… after all these years - my go to is still a "buff & baseball cap" - It takes a little getting used to but no issues with wind , cover as much of your face as you like , on those hot days put it on wet - nice . The only real downside being that your sunglasses can fog up if the buff is over the nose.

Chris

Paul071978
22-11-2018, 08:03 AM
My dad has stage 4 cancer due to melanoma and going through chemo. I’ve also had a few basal cell carcinomas removed so I’m very wary of the damage sun can cause and would prefer to cover up than to continually lather my self with “safe” chemicals every three hours to every inch of my body exposed to sunlight which is my current routine

efc
22-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Recently I’ve gone for the test cricketer look. Long sleeve and long pant in cotton. Wide brim white floppy hat with a neoprene chin strap attached. White head-sock after 9am and results are pretty good so far. The white cotton really reflects the heat well.

i also had a bad experience with a brand of sunscreen that tried to melt my nose off.

scottar
22-11-2018, 08:05 PM
I don't do the sunscreen thing - just hate the shite. I use an Adapt a cap. I tried the whole buff thing but found it a PITA for fogging up my sunnies. The cap doesn't do it to the same extent as it's open down below even with the draw string pulled tight to cover my nose. In between the hat and sunnies, nothing is left exposed on my face. Long sleeves and long shorts or pants, shoes and open palm sun gloves when it's really hot.

shakey55
23-11-2018, 06:19 AM
Paul - sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he is doing okay

Sun cancers are the real thing in this wonderful country. I unfortunately have fair skin and as I age I burn very easy. As a young lad (now on the other side of 60) I would be at the beach nearly every day especially in weekends. Thus the damage has been done.

Like it or not everyone needs some sort of protection, creams, lotions, hats, caps etc.

Cover up and look after yourself

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

TREVELLY
23-11-2018, 07:11 AM
I always keep 2 of these on the boat

GOSO sunhat

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=goso+sunhat&rlz=1C1GCEU_enAU821AU821&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=XtZhtys9C6ke9M%253A%252C9YK60VvhM_8mTM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRlTnofHXMM-fqep_3aXy3ihnpr2w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwju_8TJ9OjeAhUHSo8KHVpYCKsQ9QEwBnoECAQQD g#imgrc=XtZhtys9C6ke9M:

TREVELLY
23-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Don't muck around with sun cancer - here is one spot on my hand I did a few months back and my neck had an operation with a six inch long cut one inch wide that required 30 + stitches

I have hit near 20 spots of BCC this year

Paul071978
23-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Yep trying to cover up the best I can mostly with clothing then sun cream. I had a bcc removed from scalp last year 23 stitches mostly to avoid skin graft. All under local anesthesia ☹️

ranmar850
23-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Never been keen on sunblock after my wife spilt some on the centre console of our Patrol, new back in '95. How do I know the plastic is brown under the interior grey?--because the sunblock stripped the bloody paint off, that's why.

Paul071978
23-11-2018, 11:23 PM
Wow so it also doubles as paint remover?