PDA

View Full Version : Cut Transducer cable

Swordfish56
06-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Bit of a problem here guys,
recently purchase a new boat fitted wit a 585 Foruno sounder. The wiring behind the dash is a spaghetti nightmare. while attempting to wire in a new radio I accidentally cut the transducer cable.
my question is can this cable be repaired by soldering them back together or should i take other action?

Shark Poker
06-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Yes.Yes you can.

Swordfish56
06-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Thanks Shark Poker, do you have any advice as to how to do this. I guessing that the aluminium shielding could be important.
Cheers

catshark
06-11-2018, 07:53 PM
cant you order one from Whitworths marine, you dont want to go down that path do you, it will only be a bandaid solution. that reminds me i forgot to wrap the piggy cord protector around my transducer cable. to stop fish hooks penetrating the cable. DOH..

Dignity
06-11-2018, 07:55 PM
Very carefully, you'll need to cut the shielding and insulation back a bit as you will want to heatshrink all your joints ts. I also find staggering the joints works well as you don't end up with a bulky job. Get some dual wall shrinking that goes over the lot, stagger your joints, solder, slip the heatshrink over it (I would like a dollar for everytime I've forgotten to do that ) move to the next cable until all done, get some alfoil and overlap it with the shielding, it's main purpose is to prevent induction from power cables. Slip over the dual wall and finish the job.

A tip for soldering, get some cable offcuts with fine copper wire, take one wire and when you have the 2 ends together wind this fine wire around the joint, it saves the joint parting and frees your hands up. Don't over solder.

Volvo
06-11-2018, 07:57 PM
I had to cut the trany cable on an old black n white sounder on my quinny to fit a new Lowrance.
In the meantime I gave the old sounder to a young fella who didnt have a sounder in his tinny n found some helpfull info on rejoining trany cables on youtube.
Have a squizz there n see if you can suss out what you want there , and yes the sheilding is important not to cut or remove.

Dignity
06-11-2018, 08:54 PM
Also the length of cable can't be shortened by much as this is calculated in the return signals the unit receives.

tunaticer
06-11-2018, 09:59 PM
Shortening the cable or extending the cable makes no difference to the readings, if you do get any discrepancy it will be a connection issue.
My transducer cable in my kayak is 60cm long, originally 6 metres long, zero difference to depth or picture.

scottar
06-11-2018, 10:04 PM
No issue with joining. Main thing is to make sure there is zero chance of a short cicuit beteeen the various wires. Soldering will work - as would a junction box with a terminal strip. The foil shielding isn't critical.

Swordfish56
07-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Thanks for your sage advice guys. I shall do my best to save the patient, yes I would like avoid the expense and embarrassment of having to buy a new one. I will give YouTube a look before I proceed.

Cheers

screaming reels
08-11-2018, 08:41 AM
G'day Swordfish, mate sounds like a braided cable - similar to a RG6 cable they use in T/V and Foxtel wiring in new homes today - I would either contact a T/V antenna guy or purchase a male and female joiner and crimp together then I would purchase a small length of resin heat shrink and put that over the join.

scottar
08-11-2018, 09:45 AM
G'day Swordfish, mate sounds like a braided cable - similar to a RG6 cable they use in T/V and Foxtel wiring in new homes today - I would either contact a T/V antenna guy or purchase a male and female joiner and crimp together then I would purchase a small length of resin heat shrink and put that over the join.

No. They are a multicore with a bare wire that is in contact with an aluminium foil shield.