PDA

View Full Version : Have I done any damage ?

Tazmaniac
31-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Brain fade last weekend, thought I turned the battery switch to Battery 1, but turned off with the motor running. Didn't realize until motor went into limp mode, fuses blew in both radios, then motor stalled. Turned battery back on, motor started and ran fine all the way home (15 minutes). Replaced fuses and all seems good but haven't got back on the water yet. motor is 2004 F225 Yammy. What is the likelyhood of damaged voltage regulator or similar ?
Thanks in advance for yor replies,
Taz

Noelm
31-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Don't know why it would blow fuses in the radio, and if the motor is running OK I guess it should be fine.

scottar
31-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Don't know why it would blow fuses in the radio, and if the motor is running OK I guess it should be fine.

Because the voltage spiked when the load of the battery was removed from the charging output. A lot of radios use a zenor diode type protection circuit for overvoltage and reverse polarity. Usually the diode fails and creates a short thus blowing the fuse. As for the charge regulator - definite possibility it is toasted. Check the charge output to confirm. After starting should see the voltage come up to high 13's or so once a few revs are applied.