PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using under $100 GPS trackers?

gazza2006au
26-10-2018, 06:25 PM
My neighbour who is known for B & E's has been watching me repair my engine over the last couple of days i am worried that some unlikely person that knows the neighbor will try tow it away, i don't have any security on the trailer at the moment

i was thinking about buying a GPS tracker for under $100 are there any good 12volt models out there?

this is for my small boat it currently sits in the driveway outside the gate, my only security is 2 infared home camera's one pointing on the boat

what kind of security are u using? i know i should go full insurance but boat is over 20 years old

Noelm
26-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Chain to the fence, wheel clamps, trailer lock, electric fence, any of these, or combination will help.

catshark
26-10-2018, 07:44 PM
take the wheels off ....... or let the tyres down , they do this in the suburbs

gazza2006au
26-10-2018, 08:33 PM
I was thinking of getting one of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kovix-Alarmed-Trailer-Lock-KTR-18-Tow-Ball-Hitch-Alarm-for-Caravan-Camper-Treg/272981983518?epid=16009767633&hash=item3f8efe811e:g:cKYAAOSwCeRa8l6v

scottar
26-10-2018, 08:41 PM
118046One of these although at the moment I'm sort of doubting it's effectiveness ::).

In all seriousness though Gazza - trailer lock and wheel clamp as a minimum but the harder you make it the better.

Dirtyfuzz
26-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Downrigger shop has the SIM card enabled ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gazza2006au
26-10-2018, 10:45 PM
I have 4 dogs Scottar only 1 is very agressive and a mean mf he is built like a brick toilet lol, 1 will lick ya another just doesnt care he is cool and chilled 14 year old collie, than my little alarm bell that stays inside english staffy

3 of them stay out the back but the boat is out the front the big boat is in the way so i cant put both out the back

NAGG
27-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Use anything that makes it difficult ….. so that means some kind of hitch lock & wheel lock . In essence anything that requires more than a pair of bolt cutters.
Sadly the higher the value the higher the motivation

Chris

Noelm
27-10-2018, 07:56 AM
I guess what it amounts to is the "professional" thief will take it, no matter what deterrents you have, locks and so on stop the opportunist thief who is just after a quick dollar and can't be bothered messing about, because he/she is simply too lazy.

brett62
27-10-2018, 09:01 AM
With so many battery tools now it really doesn't take much to remove any device from the trailer. I had a trailer stolen from me up north and it's not great getting back to the ramp and suddenly realise no trailer. It was taken during daylight.

Back then it was unheard of and I didn't have any devices at all so pretty easy to steal. Certainly has changed over the years and is certainly a high chance it will happen if you leave the trailer at the ramp for a couple of nights. It's just about at the stage of having someone drive the trailer home and bring back when returning. Some ramps have a pick up and lock up and would do well out of it.

I was down at the Bribie ramp about 12 months ago just having a look and some poor boaty came back to find that all his rollers and pins had disappeared. Lucky it was during the week and working hours so he drove off and got new rollers while I held the boat on the ramp for him as he was on his own. Could have been worse I suppose they could have taken the complete trailer.

I feel for those who need to store their boat out on the roadside at home, must be a pain in the ass always worried some piece of garbage could come along and head off with the rig.

Gazza I am thinking seriously of getting a GPS tracker also as another measure. I see they notify you if the trailer is moving and also can program several different contact numbers. Trying to conceal it may be a little hard. Security cameras don't seem to deter them now either.

Triple
27-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Old smart or iPhone with cheapest sim deal wired to the battery does the job with find my phone style apps.

gazza2006au
27-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Brett the GPS unit i was looking at u set your boundaries like your yard and if it leaves it gives u a warning on your phone

Bremic
27-10-2018, 12:55 PM
The boss has put them in all of the work vehicles. Amazing he well they track. We paid $105 for each tracker, and can't fault them, so yes, your under $100 tracker is likely to do a great job.

It would be ideal if the tracker isn't easily spotted by any potential theft, otherwise they could tear it out and leave it behind. Easy to do in a car, maybe not so much in a boat.

gazza2006au
27-10-2018, 01:00 PM
was actually thinking about hiding it in the control box

brett62
27-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Brett the GPS unit i was looking at u set your boundaries like your yard and if it leaves it gives u a warning on your phone

Gazza what brand ?

I assume that it will then display a tracking map

gazza2006au
27-10-2018, 05:58 PM
I am looking at this particular one Brett https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/The-DEFENDER-3G-GPS-Tracker-for-Car-Boat-Truck-Motorbike-Caravan-Trailer/173152212230 i like how it comes so u can wire it up, ebay is flooded with models u need an additional adapter otherwise they are to be removed for charging on six day cycle, the one i linked works all the time

Bremic
28-10-2018, 12:36 PM
The ones I referred to have an alarm if out of region. The track is overlaid on Google earth, easy to see where the vehicle is.