PDA

View Full Version : Plywood Flooring Replacement - 4.8M Aluminium Side Console

Rob010
02-10-2018, 08:42 AM
There are a couple of soft areas apparent in the plywood flooring in my boat and I am looking to have either just these particular sections or the entire floor replaced. Just after any recommendations as to a marine repairer that undertakes this type of work in the Brisbane Bayside/Redlands area.
Thanks in advance

gazza2006au
02-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Rob shops often cut corners on jobs like this due to time and money they wont cover the ply in lacquer or epoxy resin they'll just use marine ply and put carpet over it you'll be good for 2-5 years than it will go soft again

if u do it your self pull up the floor remove the carpet than lay the old plywood on new plywood trace it out cut it out than use lacquer or epoxy resin, sand than put on the carpet your floor will be better than new

Cox76y
03-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Rob,
make sure you find someone that is a qualified shipwright. Very good chance your stringers n bulk heads will need doing too.Whilst Im not disputing what gazza is saying I know some very good shipwrights who would never do what gazza is saying. The quality of there work however is reflected in their price. You would be very surprised in the amount of work that goes into doing something like this properly.

juggernaut
03-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Rob,
Very good chance your stringers n bulk heads will need doing too.

Not sure what stringers and bulkheads in an ali boat would need doing?

Anyway, I have replaced the flooring in my 5m Quinny. I used marine ply and coated it in Botecoat epoxy (2 coats). The first coat has TPRDA added which allows the export to penetrate into the marine ply. Light sand then glued down the marine carpet.

https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15

scottar
03-10-2018, 10:22 PM
Another option is to leave the carpet removable and to do the new floor with a decking oil. My last rig's ply floor (CD ply) was done this way and was rock solid at 18 years old done this way. It got half a dozen coats prior to installation and a quick reapplication any time it started to look worn. The beauty of a deck oil is that reapplication is literally a fifteen minute job and removable carpet makes it very easy to keep clean. It also prevents the carpet holding moisture against the alloy around the edges - a pretty common cause of corrosion in boats stored outdoors getting rained on.

Cox76y
04-10-2018, 02:49 PM
My bad,
didnt see that it was aluminium..
JC