PDA

View Full Version : 88min video boat rescued off botany Bay in Sydney

gazza2006au
23-09-2018, 05:13 PM
88min video of that rescue a few months back, my family and friends play poker with these guys on the boat

This is why all cavities under my floor will be foam filled and i will be installing deck drains

Check out joes bilge pump it is pumping hardly nothing and its a 50k boat 7.5m twin honda 135hp the only thing keeping it a float is that pod

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.facebook.com/7newssydney/videos/2209234382434016/&ved=2ahUKEwjDnM3dpdDdAhUC_GEKHUGvDiMQwqsBMAF6BAgJE Ag&usg=AOvVaw0O8ct7OGhyoU87aq74mj1S

Luc
23-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Lucky boys.

What was the problem?

stevej
23-09-2018, 05:54 PM
price has nothing to do with it
proper fit out does, just adding a mof hose length can half a pumps output then add voltage drop and under 13v when the engines not running and so on
a 20mm hole 50cm under water will let more water in then a 2000l pump can pump out

nothing pumps harder then a man on a sinking boat with a decent manual double action bilge pump.
my 5.5m cruscraft had
2000l on a auto switch
2000l on a manual switch
and a double action hand pump that could be used from either skipper or passenger seat

gazza2006au
23-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Lucky boys.

What was the problem?
Big crack in the weld on a seam

gazza2006au
23-09-2018, 06:35 PM
price has nothing to do with it
proper fit out does, just adding a mof hose length can half a pumps output then add voltage drop and under 13v when the engines not running and so on
a 20mm hole 50cm under water will let more water in then a 2000l pump can pump out

nothing pumps harder then a man on a sinking boat with a decent manual double action bilge pump.
my 5.5m cruscraft had
2000l on a auto switch
2000l on a manual switch
and a double action hand pump that could be used from either skipper or passenger seat
Price means something when u mention "fit out" because "fit out" comes at a cost and it cost these guys $50,000 where there should have been sufficient bilge pumps fitted to the boat

catshark
23-09-2018, 08:08 PM
hard work keep bailing , 30 k of engines let down by a $100 bilge, probably should have to install two bilges or have a manual stick pump, its tough but what do you do , how far do you go. in hind sight what could you have done with floatation to save the engines.

scottar
23-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Thing is with pumps - where do you stop. Doesn't matter what size pump you fit - you can always manage a hole big enough that no pump will keep up with it. Bannana had a transducer come free from the bottom of his last rig - it put 500 litres into the boat in a matter of seconds. The only thing saving it was the fact the water was contained between bulkheads. No pump that could ever be fitted to a trailer boat would stand a snowballs chance in hell of keeping up. Sometimes shit happens. That's why you have comprehensive insurance.

gazza2006au
24-09-2018, 12:56 AM
I'll get the link to the other video later in the day, the split seam looked 3-4 inches, maritime had passed the a petrol pump in the above video but the must have left the fuel turned off of the choke on for to long as the pump started than stalled had they kep the pump running they would have kept the engines above water, the pump was passed to them while the boat was still powered by the hondas but i can only assume they later hydro locked both engines
There are a very few close calls where either back corner of the boat almost submerges with 2-3cm above the water these guys were so lucky

gazza2006au
24-09-2018, 01:58 PM
https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/07/12/20/30/botany-boat-rescue-father-and-son-rescued-after-taking-on-water

Back In Black
25-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Thing is with pumps - where do you stop. Doesn't matter what size pump you fit - you can always manage a hole big enough that no pump will keep up with it. Bannana had a transducer come free from the bottom of his last rig - it put 500 litres into the boat in a matter of seconds. The only thing saving it was the fact the water was contained between bulkheads. No pump that could ever be fitted to a trailer boat would stand a snowballs chance in hell of keeping up. Sometimes shit happens. That's why you have comprehensive insurance.

I thought it was because bannana kept yelling at Moejoes to bail faster;D

Dignity
25-09-2018, 09:12 AM
I thought it was because bannana kept yelling at Moejoes to bail faster;D

That's why with that in mind I canned going on Mojoes maiden voyage this weekend. 😂😂😂.

Back In Black
25-09-2018, 03:23 PM
That's why with that in mind I canned going on Mojoes maiden voyage this weekend. .

Nah, its all good Sam, I have intel Moejoes bought bigger buckets;D

scottar
25-09-2018, 07:36 PM
That's why with that in mind I canned going on Mojoes maiden voyage this weekend. .

She's all good now Sam. Oversaw the design and installation of the new transducer tanks personally. If they pop out now, there will be no need for a bucket...…….can't say the same for lifejackets though ;D

Dignity
26-09-2018, 06:43 AM
She's all good now Sam. Oversaw the design and installation of the new transducer tanks personally. If they pop out now, there will be no need for a bucket...…….can't say the same for lifejackets though ;D

Ah! I might defy doctors orders yet but knowing Mojoes he'll invoke the weather gods again and she'll blow a storm again.⚡

gazza2006au
26-09-2018, 08:00 PM
Dig u can borrow my arm floats

Dignity
26-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Thanks Gazza. Would really like to go regardless, good company, good times, wouldn't miss it except that health comes before play. The problem is I have no pain from the surgery so no way of identifying if I'm going to do damage, weirdest spot I've ever been in, reckon I could run a marathon or build a house but not allowed to do either. Also 2 months in Europe, come home and a month and a half recovering from surgery I've lost all muscle tone, doubt if I could pull a small fish in.

gazza2006au
26-09-2018, 10:01 PM
Bugger Dig i hope u make a full recovery, my mother had 2 prostetic hips installed and a 3rd hip muscle operation she has lost around 70% of her mobility just 2-3 years after the operation just walking from the car to the front door is a struggle, surgery sucks big time

scottar
26-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Surely Rob would let you use his electric whiting rig Sam ;D

Dignity
27-09-2018, 06:58 AM
He was but the brand spanking new upgraded garfish rig he was going to let me use had blown a poofer valve so not working, hes sent away for a replacement circuit board. Seriously Scott it's more a case of encountering the possibility of heavy seas otherwise I'd be out there now.

gazza2006au
12-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Just heard old mate paid 35k was insured for 70K insurance paid out 70K than sold the boat back to old mate for 6.5K hes loving life