PDA

View Full Version : why I rarely read the sunday/courier mail

Dignity
02-09-2018, 06:56 PM
Somehow ended up with the SM today and read on page 75 where a bribie retiree enjoyed eating "female muddies" in Nth Qld Bowling Green Bay. So it's one of 2 issues, 1) they got their facts wrong, 2)they were correctly reported but then didn't check their facts. Probably won't read another xxx Mail for a long time again.

Noelm
02-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Remotely possible crabs caught in NSW and sold in QLD? pretty long stretch though.

Dignity
02-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Statement read the angler (his name stated) put in 4 "safety" pots and spent over an hour extracting the meat.

Noelm
02-09-2018, 08:05 PM
OK, that leaves my theory out then!

Moonlighter
02-09-2018, 08:50 PM
Yep saw the same report, stated clearly the crabs were caught in NQ and the pots were full of females, which were then peeled and eaten !!

I just shook my head.

Did no-one on editorial staff proof read this report?

I bet Fisheries have already been talking to them.....

Dignity
02-09-2018, 08:54 PM
I wonder if they'll print a correction buried somewhere deep where no one reads.

scottar
02-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Yep saw the same report, stated clearly the crabs were caught in NQ and the pots were full of females, which were then peeled and eaten !!

I just shook my head.

Did no-one on editorial staff proof read this report?

I bet Fisheries have already been talking to them.....

One would hope so.

tug_tellum
03-09-2018, 04:21 PM
I cant understand why it isnt illegal Australia wide to take Jennys. Its not that hard to tell the difference and there would be a lot more crabs and a lot more Happy Bucks (If you know what I mean) to mate with them.
Just my opinion but to me it makes sence. Is there a reason why its legal in some states and not others to take female crabs?
Mick

Jeremy
03-09-2018, 05:01 PM
I read that too and shook my head. I was pretty disappointed that the full page fishing reports have been removed and the big Sunday Mail crossword also.

Dignity
03-09-2018, 05:09 PM
I read that too and shook my head. I was pretty disappointed that the full page fishing reports have been removed and the big Sunday Mail crossword also.

I had noticed the format change, found the cartoons in the TV times section. I guess they need something to justify the price they charge for lots of advertising content and very little objective reporting.

GBC
05-09-2018, 09:17 AM
That stupid 'Aussie Salvage Squad' on 7 mate last night showed them catching jennies, cleaning them and eating them - in the Whitsundays. If there isn't a prosecution in there then questions need to be asked of fisheries.

Dignity
05-09-2018, 10:04 AM
That stupid 'Aussie Salvage Squad' on 7 mate last night showed them catching jennies, cleaning them and eating them - in the Whitsundays. If there isn't a prosecution in there then questions need to be asked of fisheries.

Question has been asked, Boating and Fisheries are investigating both reports.

Sheik
05-09-2018, 07:19 PM
I reckon the SM is a great paper; nothing lights my pot bellie stove better.

rayken1938
06-09-2018, 06:25 AM
I reckon the SM is a great paper; nothing lights my pot bellie stove better.

Is it the truth or did you read it in the sunday mail?
For my combustion stove i use fire starters and the bullshit does not clog the chimney
Cheers
Ray

bondy99
06-09-2018, 10:18 PM
Some time back there was a survey put out by Agriculture and Fisheries if Qld Rec anglers wanted to take Jennies from Qld waters provided the jennies was at least 17cm plus as their sexual funicity is no longer. A lot of people voted yes, well over 3,000 people, then another survey came out and 400 people was against the idea. Once again the minority over ruled the majority. Simply stated Jennies are a no take.

Some of you recreational fishers would have seen or partook in this survey, if not, then you have a bad memory. It was here on Ausfish few years ago now.

Bondy

Bremic
07-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Some time back there was a survey put out by Agriculture and Fisheries if Qld Rec anglers wanted to take Jennies from Qld waters provided the jennies was at least 17cm plus as their sexual funicity is no longer. A lot of people voted yes, well over 3,000 people, then another survey came out and 400 people was against the idea. Once again the minority over ruled the majority. Simply stated Jennies are a no take.

Some of you recreational fishers would have seen or partook in this survey, if not, then you have a bad memory. It was here on Ausfish few years ago now.

Bondy

My understanding is that they have a 3 - 4 year life span. If that is true, I would have no problem with them being taken when they are nearing the end of their natural life, assuming they are still good eating at that age.

Dignity
07-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Agree but at the moment we have to stay within the law. Trouble is I have trouble finding bucks in the northern end of Pumistone Passage, part of the problem is sharing my pots with unknowns.

BigE
08-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Get some popcorn and hang on.

Having lived more than half my days in NQ i can tell you the next bag of Jenny shells found in the grass near the "Mexican" free camps will by no means be the last by a long shot. ( I know the CM said a Bribie resident but all NQ folk know anything south of Capricorn is Mexico ;D)

do feel for the genuine "grey nomad" ( my inlaws are some) that get the despise of the locals because of some of the more greedy souls.

Just remember journalistic excellence of the CM is what makes a Trump Tweet sound creditable ;)

BigE

bondy99
09-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Yep, I can relate to that.

Dignity
09-09-2018, 03:38 PM
A correction published today I believe whereby the crabby emptied lots of jennies and kept 9 bucks, I understand the SM took responsibility for the error.

scottar
09-09-2018, 07:14 PM
A correction published today I believe whereby the crabby emptied lots of jennies and kept 9 bucks, I understand the SM took responsibility for the error.

LOL. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story hey.