PDA

View Full Version : 75 E Tech ignition switch

Volvo
01-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Recently or should I say occasionally turn the key n no go in starting !!??. Today it just refused to start till I was about to call for a tow.
got it home n pulled the throttle assembly apart and ?? , how do you tell if the switch is nackered ?? So put it all together again till next week and make an appointment have it replacered or whatever ??.
Anyone point me in a direction of what I may try in the meantime would be appreciated :)..

scottar
01-09-2018, 07:44 PM
I would be be looking at your start in gear protection switch in your control as a likely candidate. Do the gauges light up but no crank or are the gauges dead when it fails?

Volvo
01-09-2018, 08:16 PM
All lights light up in sequence but when I turn key it wont start or should I say it sometimes does only.
This start in gear p r otection switch or whatever , replace , clean or how does one test to see if faulty ??.
That would be the one in ye little box with the little plunger whichprotrudes all the aay out when in gear ??.

gazza2006au
01-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Did u have the lanyard attached? it's often over looked... i once paid a marine mechanic to put my boat in neutral and start it.... couldn't believe my luck exactly what luck haha cost me $30 too which was the mechanics minimum labour time!!!

the small things are often not thought about with outboards but when u talk electronics it can be expensive all it takes is a multimeter but it takes hours of testing and looking up ohm readings and labour isn't cheap for marine mechanics or any trade for that matter

if your set on that its this switch u can remove it and use a multimeter to check the readings but since its an E-tec its computerized just hook her up to the laptop and sotware and run a scan, when i had a 75hp E-tec i bought my scanning kit from Ebay

Dignity
01-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Had a suszi that wouldn't start, took it to a mech and his first test was the starting sequence which incuded the dead man switch. It worked perfectly, the plug/contact was of a rubber compound and had shrunk just enough not to close the contacts. He only charged me for a new plug zbout $15. Its a process of elimination, work through the same steps and you should get a resolution.

scottar
01-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Did u have the lanyard attached? it's often over looked... i once paid a marine mechanic to put my boat in neutral and start it.... couldn't believe my luck exactly what luck haha cost me $30 too which was the mechanics minimum labour time!!!

the small things are often not thought about with outboards but when u talk electronics it can be expensive all it takes is a multimeter but it takes hours of testing and looking up ohm readings and labour isn't cheap for marine mechanics or any trade for that matter

if your set on that its this switch u can remove it and use a multimeter to check the readings but since its an E-tec its computerized just hook her up to the laptop and sotware and run a scan, when i had a 75hp E-tec i bought my scanning kit from Ebay

Unless things have changed, an E-Tec engine will start with the lanyard removed. If it is fitted and it gets pulled the engine will stop but if it gets lost, the engine (unlike some others) will still start and run fine. I confirmed this with my 200HO last trip when I got tangled up in the bloody thing (which I never use) and pulled it by accident - didn't bother refitting for the rest of the day.

scottar
01-09-2018, 09:06 PM
All lights light up in sequence but when I turn key it wont start or should I say it sometimes does only.
This start in gear p r otection switch or whatever , replace , clean or how does one test to see if faulty ??.
That would be the one in ye little box with the little plunger whichprotrudes all the aay out when in gear ??.

Not entirely sure which switch you are referring to but it will be in your controller. Should be easily checked by use of a multimeter and will read either open or shorted while in neutral and the opposite when in gear. Most of these switches are a sealed unit and simply get replaced if faulty.

gazza2006au
01-09-2018, 10:15 PM
Ah ok i never knew they worked like that on the Evinrudes quiet strange but i can see it being useful

Fed
01-09-2018, 11:24 PM
Won't start or won't crank?

Volvo
02-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Wont crank to start :). Made the mistake of taking it for a short run today and it kicked over to get us to spot A :), but thst was it!!. Didna want to start n get us back to the ramp lol

Fed
02-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Try holding the key in the start position and jiggling the controller handle at the same time.
Do you hear any clicks, clunks or wirring noises when it fails, listen very carefully.

Aussie123
02-09-2018, 01:25 PM
It could also be the starter motor or a dirty connection somewhere.

Volvo
02-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Try get it in to the Doctor tomorrow lol, put it on the computer n hopefully finger the problem.
May need a new part somewhere or other??.
Im guessing it will be either one of the switches mentioned above.

gazza2006au
02-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Getting the Dr to finger the problem? sounds like your getting a prostate check, Hopefully the Dr is a 5 foot tall Asian with small hands LOL

Volvo
03-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Ended up none of the above but the solonoid :).

scottar
03-09-2018, 02:40 PM
The jouys of fixing stuff on the internet. One minute you have a minor issue........nek minut she's stuffed and needs a rebuild 😂😂😂

Dignity
03-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Ended up none of the above but the solonoid :).

At least nothing major although with the prefix "marine" in front the prices suddenly go skyward.

Volvo
03-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Yep not wrong there lol , but peace of mind knowing its fixed ( fingers crossed ).

Chimo
03-09-2018, 06:44 PM
If the finger test works you probably have a well developed issue
Fast rise over a short time in PSA number should spark urgent action; keeping things electrical .................

gazza2006au
03-09-2018, 07:56 PM
All the solenoids i have replaced have either worked or not worked i have come across a lot of less than acceptable connections tho