PDA

View Full Version : haines signiture SVD hull

catshark
26-08-2018, 05:52 PM
hi guys looking for info about the concave hull shape, dont know nothing about haines at all, what i need to know is are the SVD hulls stable at rest or are they less rocky roller than the older haines models where i think they had the deep vee running all the way thru. you see for years i was told this and that about haines and never even went close to one, its one of three choices now in my next upgrade and would like to know peoples thoughts. Model in question would be around the 5mtr mark in a cuddy setup around the 00-06 years , haines signiture. cheers

Andy56
26-08-2018, 06:46 PM
hi guys looking for info about the concave hull shape, dont know nothing about haines at all, what i need to know is are the SVD hulls stable at rest or are they less rocky roller than the older haines models where i think they had the deep vee running all the way thru. you see for years i was told this and that about haines and never even went close to one, its one of three choices now in my next upgrade and would like to know peoples thoughts. Model in question would be around the 5mtr mark in a cuddy setup around the 00-06 years , haines signiture. cheers

Strability issues? Nah mate,They are the BMWs of the water world. The more power the better. Trimtabs help a bit. A lot more space in the back than others and rated for more people if your into group speak, lol.

catshark
26-08-2018, 07:12 PM
bmw of the water world you say . wow you got my attention, once i bought a bmw for the Mrs and i can tell you i couldnt get the smile of my face until i took it back to the car yard, i said ill take it....... lately all i see at the ramp are signitures, so they must be allright. ive never been in one and you feel like a twat if you ask someone at the ramp how good are they.

reelally
26-08-2018, 08:38 PM
I have been lucky enough to test a few Haines signatures across the range and all I can say is they all work well! From a mates 4.6m tiller, the new 497, 580br, side console and the most impressive 788! To answer your question- yes they are stable. We fished 3 up offshore in the 4.6m tiller with no issues. They are a heavy boat compared to other brands but this is one of the main reasons why they work well and are strong and well built. Definitely the reason why there are so many at the boat ramp.

catshark
26-08-2018, 08:52 PM
i get the impression they are well built and finished nicely, just learned they are foam filled, i know i know . im late on the haine train..

Smithy
27-08-2018, 09:51 AM
I reckon it works well and similar concept to Noble Super V and NZ pontoon boats etc, super dee V flattening to big square chines. My personal experience, they can get a bit slappy in the front shoulders. Trim tabs can eliminate that. Bloke in our game club has a 602F. He really rates it. Best downsea boat he has had. Now this is a bloke that whilst I have known him he has had a 6.2 Kevlacat, an Edencraft 6m and 20' Yalta. He bought it with a 140 Suzuki and put a 175 Suzuki on shortly after and trim tabs. Of the old Haines Hunters, I can only compare to a couple of V19Cs I have been on. They certainly go through the water nice. I can live with a bit of rock and roll for the ride though as I have good sea legs. The old school gunnels and rear quarter seats would do my head in though. Your toes were sort of against the hull too. No under side pocket toe rail or the gunnels didn't protrude wide enough. Modern boats are better. That said, the ergonomics of the HS650F at the boat show or whatever it was, was atrocious. Mate of average build and height had to straddle the steering wheel with a knee each side of the display one on Friday.

swof63
27-08-2018, 09:07 PM
I’ve got a 543rf and really like it, I’ve had a few 6m+ boats and it’s surprising how well the little sig goes when it cuts up. Stability at rest is no problem, it seems to sit down on its chines and is very stable. As stated above, due to the concave shape at the front it can slap punching into a chop coming from either 45. Roll it away from the chop with the tabs sorts it out. I like how signature don’t fall into the normal Aussie boat builder trap of blowing the beam out on small boats. The smaller ones are relatively narrow and so ride well.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

scottar
27-08-2018, 09:09 PM
I reckon it works well and similar concept to Noble Super V and NZ pontoon boats etc, super dee V flattening to big square chines. My personal experience, they can get a bit slappy in the front shoulders. Trim tabs can eliminate that. Bloke in our game club has a 602F. He really rates it. Best downsea boat he has had. Now this is a bloke that whilst I have known him he has had a 6.2 Kevlacat, an Edencraft 6m and 20' Yalta. He bought it with a 140 Suzuki and put a 175 Suzuki on shortly after and trim tabs. Of the old Haines Hunters, I can only compare to a couple of V19Cs I have been on. They certainly go through the water nice. I can live with a bit of rock and roll for the ride though as I have good sea legs. The old school gunnels and rear quarter seats would do my head in though. Your toes were sort of against the hull too. No under side pocket toe rail or the gunnels didn't protrude wide enough. Modern boats are better. That said, the ergonomics of the HS650F at the boat show or whatever it was, was atrocious. Mate of average build and height had to straddle the steering wheel with a knee each side of the display one on Friday.

Mate of mine noticed that and pointed it out to me as well Smithy - wheel was ridiculously low.

bden
28-08-2018, 05:48 PM
I suggest the vdh strongest point is it’s stability at rest. I head out with many different boats and find I tend to go a little slower punching into the wave. Side on and with a following sea it really handles exceptionally well.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

catshark
28-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys awesome advice, i hear a lot how the little sigs can carve up and punch above their weight. good to hear the the finer points, i was curious how the hull might perform in a beam sea. cheers

catshark
28-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Also men , as im close to putting the hammer down, on a 493f, can this little bad boy handle a fourstroke yammie at 165kg in a 80 HP power plant. ive yet to test drive the boat. , im anticapating it to be bum heavy. thoughts

bden
28-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Also men , as im close to putting the hammer down, on a 493f, can this little bad boy handle a fourstroke yammie at 165kg in a 80 HP power plant. ive yet to test drive the boat. , im anticapating it to be bum heavy. thoughts

I would agree seems heavy. Never been a smaller version if you could stretch to 530, 540 I think you get amongst the classics. My mate bought a 493 after being in mine and he was not complimentary about the handling and since sold it. I have no first hand experience so really can’t add to this

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

catshark
28-08-2018, 10:07 PM
yes ideally a 530 plus, however the price leaps as well. just discovered that the smaller sigs had lower splash wells, and couple this with a big motor, wet feet alert .

RogerRamjet
30-08-2018, 08:01 AM
I have a 493f with a df70a Suzuki - same motor as the 80/90/100 so the hole shot is great and the 70 tops out at 30kts, the 90 would give you about 35kts I think. The Suzuki motors are 155kg and while this works ok I'd try to avoid anything much heavier. It's only a 2m beam so there's not as much floatation as say a 2.3m beam boat to hold the motor up at rest.
The 493 is great in chop, the hull works well as others have said before and feels like a bigger boat than it really is. It only has a 20inch transom so you feel closer to the water than a 25inch transom. If you're thinking offshore then step up to the 525f or new 545f that have the 25inch transom.
For a 5m boat the 493/495 is great - fish 2up, tow tubes, get over to Moreton wrecks etc any day of the week. I'll sell mine in a few years but only because the kids keep getting bigger!

GBC
30-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Had a 542 CC for a fair few years. Great hull. Well matched with the 135 hp we had on it. I'd be careful about extra engine weight, they are extremely sensitive to trim - which is a good thing.

catshark
30-08-2018, 10:01 PM
excellent info about the beam differences and transom heights, puts things in a clear perspective.

robothefisho
30-08-2018, 10:27 PM
I'm surprised no body has mentioned how wet they are. Agree with them being stable and riding pretty well. Also a tendency to porpoise slightly. They do love running fast over small chop. When you slow them down in rougher water they become a very wet boat.

Smithy
31-08-2018, 06:32 AM
Bloke came out with the other day who had HS543F with a 150 Yammie 4 stroke on it. Pretty heavy motor for a small boat I thought but he said it went good. Oodles of power of course and he had trim tabs but he still backs up into current and wind to fish 3 up so can't be too bad or he would be wearing them over the back all day long.

swof63
31-08-2018, 01:26 PM
Yep, got a merc 150/4 on my 543rf. Almost the same weight motor as the yammy. No problems with the weight, in fact I prefer the feel of it in bumpy water to the zuk 140 I originally had on it, bounces around less and feels softer. Lands better too if you get air. I wouldn’t be shy about putting a motor on that’s not the lightest, certainly from my experience getting close to the max rating is no bad thing. It doesn’t appear to sit noticeably lower in the water at rest either.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

catshark
31-08-2018, 08:14 PM
:oyes i watched a review video of the above mention model and with 3POB and a 4stroke , the motor cowling cover was dunking half under water. YIKES

Andy56
31-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Bloke came out with the other day who had HS543F with a 150 Yammie 4 stroke on it. Pretty heavy motor for a small boat I thought but he said it went good. Oodles of power of course and he had trim tabs but he still backs up into current and wind to fish 3 up so can't be too bad or he would be wearing them over the back all day long.

I never had any issues about motor weight or bum heaviness with my 543rf 130hp etec. only gripe i had was that i didnt get the 150.
Neither did i have any issue with getting wet. wasnt an issue.