PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Caribbean Tiara 150hp HPDI, pre purchase advice???

millzee
23-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Hi, I'm looking at the mentioned boat to service our needs of water skiing with a young family and giving me a boat that will be mor comfortable than my 4.5m tinny for fishing on the bays in Melbourne. I've been researching a lot and have come to belive that this will suit our needs well enough but I'm interested to hear from anyone that may have had some experience with one of the boats or engines. We'd love a bar crusher 615BR but thats a few years away so I'm trying to stay in the $30k ball park so we can have it this summer / snapper season. The boat is at a dealer - boat yard, should I need to get it checked out by someone else or just take the dealers word??

Noelm
23-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Make sure you get the HPDI motor checked out by someone who knows them, and look for a service place near you that knows them too, very good motors, as long as the are looked after by someone who knows them well, run them lean, or shabby fuel, and you're in for some pain.

millzee
31-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Just been checked out by a Yamaha dealer, engine come back saying only 194 hours use and mostly low to mid rpm. Should be a great boat after a couple little superficial corrections. Cheers

gazza2006au
31-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Millzee they are a great looking engine and from one of the best if not the best manufacturer Yamaha but if u do some reading those HDPI engines can be less than reliable they sometimes have a short life compared to other engines i forget all the info but i looked into them a few months back

millzee
31-08-2018, 07:03 PM
I read that some of the earlier ones had an issue with the lower ring on the piston slipping down or something to that effect, other tha that it seems that if you keep the fuel clean and replace the filter often enough they are pretty good. The report today didn't show any history of error reports so I guess now I'll be just hoping for the best out ot a 14 year old engine.

gazza2006au
31-08-2018, 07:44 PM
I recall reading about the fuel needing to be super clean and fresh also i think it was this model that ran the 8mm possibly 6mm fuel filters people were complaining they were clogging up and a lot of people thought it was hard to change them but really any home handy man could possibly change them

there was one of these motors for sale on Ebay i think it was a 175 or possibly 200hp i can't really remember but from my research i found more of them blown up for parts than those in running condition on the used market

few people were also confusing them for four strokes as they look alike lol

catshark
31-08-2018, 08:06 PM
hi mate that carribean looks very nice, i had a geeza at it. i didnt know barcrusher done a bow rider hull, interesting seeing a family/hard core fisho combination. takes a while to comprehend the mix. As for the fuel mention , there should be a good quality micron fuel filter available, shouldn't there.

millzee
31-08-2018, 09:06 PM
I recon there would have to be, a lots changed in the last 10-14 years, I hope if it's made it 194 hours without an error code, I might get a few hundred more without too many issues. The bar crusher 615 BR is a beast but 80-90k depending on how you deck it out, Maybe this Caribbean will do until I get the 670HT.

upstart
04-09-2018, 03:23 PM
I had a 150hp HPDI and it was an awesome engine. I had it until around 250 hours and then sold the boat. Regular fuel filter maintenance is a non-negotiable on all new tech engines no matter what the brand I reckon.

scottar
04-09-2018, 06:15 PM
If you read long and hard enough you will find complaints about every series of engine ever made. None of them are flawless and every new tech engine made since the utilisation of the fuel injector needs to run good clean fuel or they will have issues - nothing brand specific in that. Second hand is always a gamble but if you like the rig and your outboard mechanic has given it a clean bill of health, take it for a run and then decide whether you love it enough to jump in.