PDA

View Full Version : Expression of Interest - Dunbier Trailer Frame Only for Sale

Jerrers
22-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Hi Guys,

long story short I have a Signature 540F on a 5 year old Dunbier SRW5.3 trailer, because of the sarca anchor and rear door spare tyre on my Prado the trailer is too short. I can't open the back door and the anchor is mm's away from the tyre when doing U turns on flat ground, etc.

I can't more the boat back anymore as I'll decrease the tow ball weight too much, the axle assembly is as far back as it can go so I can't increase tow ball weight this way either. Extending the drawbar will reduce the tow ball weight and put too much stress on the trailer frame.

The only only option I can see to fix the trailer properly is to purchase a new larger length frame and change all components over. Obviously this the most expensive option and I would only go down this road if I can offset the cost by setting the current frame.

I'm curious to know would there be anyone interested in purchasing the frame only (without rear pivot assembly). The frame is in excellent condition and may suit someone who wants to replace a rusted or damaged frame or needs a starting point for a new trailer project.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers Jeremy

gazza2006au
22-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Jerr if it came with rego it would appeal to people

Dignity
23-08-2018, 06:55 AM
Have you tried an extended towbar, from memory they add 90 mm maybe more which might alleviate your problem. Whereabouts are you as I think I have one you can try out, I'll know for sure when I get home, if they let me out of hospital today.

Jerrers
23-08-2018, 09:46 AM
I'm using a extended tongue which has given me an extra 30mm already. I'm not willing to increase any further as it will negatively change the handling. Extending the tongue changes the leverage distance increasing rear axle load and decreasing front axle load.
I do a lot of towing and plan to keep the boat for a while, want to do the correct way first time.
Cheers.

gazza2006au
23-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Jerr are u able to move your drive train back? Almost all the trailers i have owned you can move the whole axle, springs and guards back to put more weight on the t-ball

Jerrers
23-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately not, the wheel assembly is back all the way. Dunbier trailers have a rear swing arm which effectively reduces the trailers frame length. I've pretty much thought of all ways to increase the tow ball weight but nothing is ideal (filling the draw bar with quick set concrete maybe?) ;D

shakey55
24-08-2018, 06:10 AM
If you intend keeping boat for a while, why not sell trailer as it is and put the money towards the perfect trailer for your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

gazza2006au
25-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Jerr where are u located?

wags on the water
26-08-2018, 08:08 PM
I had the same issue with my 21' boat and sorted the issue by stowing the anchor in the anchor well. I've just had the (dis)pleasure of replacing the trailer frame with a new one from Dunbier and been informed the new design actually allows for the anchor to sit in the normal position and having ample room between the spare tyre and the anchor. It is an inexpensive exercise if you choose to replace the frame rather than fork out many thousands for a new trailer.

bigfella23
11-10-2018, 02:07 PM
Ring Dunbier, they have long rear bars , that will get your boat back 300mm.