PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Craft 600 vs Seafarer Victory 6.0

Paul071978
20-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Hello Boating Fishos,
So I've narrowed down my next secondhand boat purchase to either CC 600 or Seafarer 6.0.
I'm very interested in hearing peoples reviews and experiences on these boats, especially owners.
The boat would be used 80% fishing out to 20nm and 20% skiing and squidding
I do very much like the Seafarer however after having a hull with a pod previously I don't want to go back. Yes I know it's down to the keel and not very long - but once bitten twice shy.
Also I'm guessing these boats would go over the 2T limit for towing?
Many thanks,

Noelm
21-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Flip a coin on those two, which ever one is in the best condition and is the right price and has the best motor will be OK, both boats are very similar with neither being far in front of the other.

Noelm
21-08-2018, 03:43 PM
I forgot to add, I would guess both boats ready to launch would be over 2T

catshark
21-08-2018, 08:40 PM
im thinking you would need at least 200hp on these bad boys, i myself have just started to think about the 6 mtr class so l watch this . before you narrowed down to two, was there a haines model in your thoughts. cheers

Paul071978
21-08-2018, 08:40 PM
Thanks Noelm. Interesting you mention both would be over 2T as I’ve seen half a dozen of both models advertised on second hand market and none have hydraulic or electric brakes

catshark
21-08-2018, 08:45 PM
l looked at a 6.0 mtr job yesterday with a 200 Hp , it was under two tonne so the trailer says, but im sure it was heavier.

scottar
21-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Plenty of these were sold on trailers that were sub 2 ton rated and are fine.............until you load them. Should never have been allowed to happen - shits me to tears when dealers pull stuff like this to keep a quote down. Both hulls will perform adequately with 150 horsepower. My Victory is powered with a 200 big block E-Tec and fully loaded will do just under 80Kph. A 150 powered craft will be high 60's low 70's depending on set up. Both hulls benefit in a large way from the addition of trim tabs and IMO suffer from excess transom weight if fitted with heavy 6 cylinder four stroke engines - assuming they will be used for offshore fishing. I run 12x12 tabs and a foil with the 200HO to give better planning at slow speeds when it gets snotty. The Victory isn't really a podded hull - the set up with the transom steps makes for a good hiding place for the trim tabs. Both hulls have their little bug bears - for me it's the scuppers on the Cruisecraft ( I really hate wet shoes) and the biggest with the Victory is the side windows draining at the lowest point on the inside (did I mention I hate getting wet) which I have predominantly fixed by dismantling and reassembling with copious amounts of silicone - quite a nerve wracking job when dealing with the curved glass screen. As Noel posted - both good boats and a lot will come down to the individual unit. As with any second hand glass / timber rig, do your due diligence in regard to transoms and floors.

Paul071978
21-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Thanks scot very informative reply.

Hey catshark funny you ask about Haines as I would be interested to know what the equivalent would be in Haines of the same era of late 90s early 2000s model. I currently own 565c really old but fantastic solid heavy stable boat as goes well with 200hp however definitely stern heavy. I bought the engine real cheap and fitted myself. handles the rough stuff amazingly. Just want something a little bigger to be safer and more roomy for my and my two young boys to fish

Noelm
22-08-2018, 06:15 AM
Thanks Noelm. Interesting you mention both would be over 2T as I’ve seen half a dozen of both models advertised on second hand market and none have hydraulic or electric brakes
yep, lots of boats go out the showroom door under 2T, but, "ready to fish" is a very different story, add (say) a spare tyre and carrier, fuel, fishing gear, esky, anchor and chain, battery/s and all the other stuff that finds it's way into a boat, and weight goes right above the cheap under rated trailer the salesman quoted, almost every boat owner I know that has taken their boat over a weighbridge is stunned by the result!

Paul071978
22-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Victory 6m Hull 1050kg, Engine 200kg, Trailer 500kg, Fuel 150kg = 1,900 then add Batteries (2 x 25kg) 50kg, Electronics, hyd steering, anchor and rope chain 50kg - 2,000kg without anything at all loaded into the boat……..this is cutting it waaaaay to fine.

If I'm going to electric brakes I may as well buy Vagabond - Does anyone launch and retrive their Vagabond or similar sized boat solo?

Watto79
22-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Seafarer victory 6.0......tick!

In the older hulls built by Lindsay Fry, there is a reason that these don't pop up all that often secondhand and when they do are snapped up pretty quickly and demand considerable dollars for their age..

You won't be disappointed, get one ;)

Noelm
22-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Yep good boat, but, certainly no better than the other option, it will come down to condition, motor and options, buying on brand "name" alone is not the way to go

Paul071978
22-08-2018, 12:16 PM
On further investigation I see the tow weight/trailer issue has been covered quite extensively on other threads. I'm still yet to see a secondhand Seafarer 6m on a trailer with electric brakes.

Watto79
22-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Having been in both at that size range I beg to differ but just my personal opinion of course..

Both have pro's/cons but to me the victory was and is a better ride than the CC..

Watto79
22-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Paul, seen plenty of victory's on trailers with electric brakes over the years but usually those boats that are on a subsequent trailer from original..

These boats back in the day were sent out the factory on a Tinka trailer with mechanical brakes and a lot of them still sit on these to this day and probably why the ones you are seeing don't have electric brakes as I say they don't come up on the market all that often anymore..

Watto79
22-08-2018, 12:41 PM
Also Paul just my personal opinion again but i rate the victory 6.0 over the bigger brother vagabond also..

Paul071978
22-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Hey Watto, that's heartening news regarding upgraded trailers I guess I'll just have to wait till one pops up. I'm curious as to your reasoning behind you choosing Victory over Vagabond?

Just to clarify I believe the HH, CC and Seafarer are very similar in build quality. I'm just weighing up the pros and cons for ride quality, layout, and any other common issues for my intended use

Watto79
22-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Just been in both mate, and to me the victory performed as good as if not better than the vagabond..

Again just my opinion, there are so many variables that can affect the performance of any hull/boat as your probably aware..

I can only suggest you try and go for a spin in all the boats that you are interested in before putting down your hard earned so you can compare and ultimately be the judge.

I bought mine after going for a ride in a mates victory, never looked back..

I was thinking of selling mine due to having young kids and lack of use but have been chopping and changing my mind about it for a couple of years now..

I know if I pass her up the chances of getting another one especially in the nice,clean condition that mine is probably isn't good and I guess why I have been so hesitant!

greyfox
22-08-2018, 03:54 PM
I have to agree with all the positive comments about both boats. I own a Seafarer 575 Vega (Lindsay Fry era) and am quite happy with it. The 175 Suzuki 4 stroke gets it going well under any conditions and I can launch/retrieve on my own. Like the Victory, you don't see them for sale too often.

catshark
22-08-2018, 07:47 PM
The victory looks so nice, fast and sporty, ive never seen one for sale in the flesh, quick look on boatsales indicates that they command high dollars.

scottar
22-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Paul, seen plenty of victory's on trailers with electric brakes over the years but usually those boats that are on a subsequent trailer from original..

These boats back in the day were sent out the factory on a Tinka trailer with mechanical brakes and a lot of them still sit on these to this day and probably why the ones you are seeing don't have electric brakes as I say they don't come up on the market all that often anymore..

Depends on the age. Mine is 2006 and is on the factory trailer with a full Alko Sensabrake set up. Have another couple of mates with 6's with identical set ups of varying ages. A previous 5.9 (1994 model) company boat was on a 1990 Kg Tinka with mechanicals.

Paul071978
22-08-2018, 09:52 PM
That’s good news scottar. I’ve succumbed to the idea I’m not going to get away under the 2T safely especially as I would want a 4stroke too.

So I may as well consider a vagabond....??

shakey55
23-08-2018, 08:00 AM
I’m a fan and owner of a Seafarer. Have been in the others mentioned and they are good boats.

I’d be looking for the best boat/motor for the price and I personally would prefer a solid trailer with electric braking system.

Just my personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Noelm
23-08-2018, 06:31 PM
I thought I had stumbled onto the Seafarer Appreciation thread again.

Watto79
24-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Hahaha Noel, guess when you are genuinely happy with something it shows ;)

Paul071978
24-08-2018, 02:05 PM
Haha nice one Noel. I'm on the west coast and yet to see a CC 600, and for me as I'm mostly fishing over skiing/cruising I'm tending towards the Seafarer.

At the risk of changing the topic would there be any issues on choosing the Vag over the Victory? or the 6.0 over the 5.9?

(apologies if this has already been covered but couldn't find anything specifically addressing these choices)

Chimo
24-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Paul

I have a Vag with twin 115 HP and to be honest it not my ideal ski boat
Fishing and cruising not a problem but the bunks in the 6.0 Victory are longer than the Vag so if you want to sleep in it the Victory is better.
The Vag is heavier obviously
Both really benefit from trim tabs but this is true from just about all boats inc Al once your bigger than about 5.5 m long
A single motor say 200 HP or bigger on a Vag and you would have a passable ski boat but I believe the Victory would be more suitable.
All in all a better balanced all rounder is the Victory and remember I have a great Vagabond and I like having a spare motor along for the security it gives and the economy as the Vag is happy to cruise at low speeds in canal and river with one motor and the other trimmed up out of the way.
The 5.9 Victory is just the earlier version with the same hull as used on the Vermont which is another great boat with a 7 ft double bunk in a low cabin and it is potentially117631 a great ski unit too that flies .

Hope that answers your question117630