PDA

View Full Version : Shark Cat 5m 16ft advise

Chilly 07
19-08-2018, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

First post and requested advise.

I am looking for a boat to go fishing in the Plumistone Passage and out to sea.
This would be my first boat and I have seen this 16ft Sharkcat with pods for sale.
I would appreciate some advise and thoughts on this as a purchase.
It is running twin 70's.

Looking for something which is stable in the water. Can be launched etc by me. Carry more than four passengers for day trips etc.
The price seems good....$12000.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/murwillumbah/motorboats-powerboats/16ft-sharkcat/1192366506
Thanks
Chilly

Noelm
19-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Kind of looks like it's a home handyman rebuild, but I could be wrong, also not exactly 100% sure it's a Sharkcat, but again, I could be wrong.

Chilly 07
19-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Chap states it is a Sharkcat. Knows Bruce and Bruce has told him the full story!!
Peter

Noelm
19-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Anythings possible, but it sure looks like it might have been a Sharkcat once, but it's been cut off, or something, could be a great boat, who knows?

gazza2006au
19-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Price it all out he wants $12,000, the engines are worth $2000 each, that trailer looks home made very thin looking for that hull whats a twin hull trailer worth? $3500?, hull worth $3500?

it looks like a nice tidy sea worthy boat but i would look at that trailer a little better as that boat looks a little heavy for that box frame, just my opinion

Chilly 07
19-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Please explain why you think it has been 'cut off or smething'?
Can then understand and build my knowledge.Peter

Noelm
19-08-2018, 06:22 PM
I just have never seen an old model with pods, and the transom just looks non original, let's be perfectly clear here, we can only see a couple of photos, nothing beats seeing it in the flesh, but, as with all things second hand, it's a lucky dip, and the seller might be a great guy, I/we can only "best guess" what we see.

catshark
19-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Hi Chilly, looks like a good buy , lets break it down ( weight would be around 1600kg -1900 kg , check trailer GVM , trailer looks modifyed, homemade or under strength.. The motors appear the right HP for the size of boat, How many hours? looks a clean hull and but looks like the top deck has been a add on at some stage, could be wrong of course, with six clinker sides on a short boat, looks like the version of the 20 ft cat but this is shorter? Or has the transom been changed from a damaged 23 footer , just putting it out there . Should you buy it ? well if it floats and goes good on test run then i would think you got yourself a pocket game boat right there that you could launch yourself, and fish out with the big boys, yes this little boat could go to the shelf.

Chilly 07
19-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Hi Catshark,
Thanks for replying.
I will check trailer etc.
I am starting to understand about the clinkers on the sides...so will questions about repairs and modifications.
Great that it could go to the shed. What about shallow waters...what sort of depth do these require to float in?
Response to a few questions from owner....
'the motors are 1996 both in excellent condition good compression on both fuel capacity 120 liters has life jackets epirb deck lights cabin lights dual batteries separate filters live bait tank with pump 2 seats on boxes i used it every week out of tweed heads very safe little boat owned for 6 year'

Chilly 07
19-08-2018, 07:28 PM
Hi Noelm.
Thanks for the honest reply. Appreciate it.
I have asked for some more photos. (Especially as I am 3 hours away).
Need to ring and enquire more details.

Peter

catshark
19-08-2018, 09:31 PM
i would say sitting in the water , you would have up too 3 of the clinker in the water at the back, on the plane im guessing 2 clinkers draft in the water , does that make sense? Are you concerned where you are its shallow, most cats are on the heavy side so i would aim too have at least 3 ft of water minimum . perhaps better too have at least 5ft to be safe. You say this is your first boat, wow for the safety aspect it will be perfect for you , however twin hulls can be scary , when or if you test drive it , when you turn at a good speed , not too fast mind you but you will feel the hull want to lean over and feels like its going to tip, its that feeling that will determine if you can get used to it or not, it can leave your deck mates or family not wanting too come back out with you. However in saying that about that feeling . l can say that the cat is superior in all other aspects to the monohull, if you do buy it, then take your time in learning to drive it, as you wont master a cat overnight .

gazza2006au
19-08-2018, 09:39 PM
its that feeling that will determine if you can get used to it or not, it can leave your deck mates or family not wanting too come back out with you.

I have never been on a cat but i can picture that and offshore while doing it :o ;D take a pair of clean undies lol

catshark
19-08-2018, 09:48 PM
what are the chances , their is another cat for sale exactly like this one in hervey bay , better trailer and better motors only a couple more $$$, so that clarifys the odd looking transom.

catshark
19-08-2018, 09:56 PM
i can tell when one hull digs in on a big green hole, youll leave fingerprints on the grab rails, however l have also been amazed at how seaworthy they are and none of my prevoius monohulls could have gotten away with some of the conditions, so i dont know its a feeling, ive never felt more safer in a cat however my family said no way am i going out in that thing again, when she leaned over at 45 degrees thru the entrance, run out tide ha ha

gazza2006au
19-08-2018, 10:10 PM
i can tell when one hull digs in on a big green hole, youll leave fingerprints on the grab rails, however l have also been amazed at how seaworthy they are and none of my prevoius monohulls could have gotten away with some of the conditions, so i dont know its a feeling, ive never felt more safer in a cat however my family said no way am i going out in that thing again, when she leaned over at 45 degrees thru the entrance, run out tide ha ha

Haha i can picture that lol, They look like a nice floatable hull design they also look like it would be rock solid trolling or downrigging in the open sea however going faster than a following sea especially if u need to get back in a hurry and your not dead on strait over the swell you'd be crapping ya pants hitting it on an angle LOL

the platform would be huge in one of these over a V boat

Fed
20-08-2018, 08:17 AM
Don't buy it Chilly.

Noelm
20-08-2018, 09:52 AM
You know something??

Fed
20-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Nothing specific Noel I just think it's not a good boat for a first timer and way too modified for my liking.
I had one for the best part of Twenty Years and found there was only a tiny window of say 10% of the time where it would have been better than the 17' Viking I currently own.
I know you have an 18 footer which I can't comment on (never been in one) but back when I had the 16' it was all about the 'Sharkcat' hype.
Cost, handling, weight, fuel, wet feet all spring to mind but on the upside get that 1 day in 10 and it's like being on a magic carpet, you know the deal.

Noelm
20-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Missed the bit about first boat, probably would be OK, but certainly not my pick for lakes or rivers, but like most things, it's a compromise, how much enclosed water V how much outside, how many people, what to tow it with, what sort of ramps, lots of things come into play, especially a first timer.

super56r
20-08-2018, 02:45 PM
I can’t see a single axle trailer being legal for that boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

gazza2006au
20-08-2018, 02:51 PM
I can’t see a single axle trailer being legal for that boat.

I was made aware a single axle trailer can carry 2 ton i was surprised too

super56r
20-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Yeah not that trailer.

Dirtyfuzz
20-08-2018, 05:25 PM

Leaned over but I bet it came back! That’s the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noelm
20-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Hi Chilly, looks like a good buy , lets break it down ( weight would be around 1600kg -1900 kg , check trailer GVM , trailer looks modifyed, homemade or under strength.. The motors appear the right HP for the size of boat, How many hours? looks a clean hull and but looks like the top deck has been a add on at some stage, could be wrong of course, with six clinker sides on a short boat, looks like the version of the 20 ft cat but this is shorter? Or has the transom been changed from a damaged 23 footer , just putting it out there . Should you buy it ? well if it floats and goes good on test run then i would think you got yourself a pocket game boat right there that you could launch yourself, and fish out with the big boys, yes this little boat could go to the shelf.
the 23' didn't have clinker sides (neither did the 20) but, there was a few non genuine 20's made with clinker sides (I had one) but it was not a Sharkcat, similar mold though.

gazza2006au
20-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Yeah not that trailer.

I reckon that trailer would be rated 750kg GVM

gazza2006au
20-08-2018, 05:50 PM
old mate said in the add he had owned it or 6 years can't be to bad of a boat

Bremic
20-08-2018, 07:03 PM
Please explain why you think it has been 'cut off or smething'?
Can then understand and build my knowledge.Peter

That transom and pods don't look like original shark cat. Not necessarily anything wrong with that. Many boats get a new transom due to water ingress rotting the timber and are good to go again.

Jason Green
20-08-2018, 07:23 PM
I was made aware a single axle trailer can carry 2 ton i was surprised too

More than likely it would have had 12 inch electric brakes a breakaway system and Landcruiser rims as a pair of ford rims are rated to 1900 kg on a single axle trailer I am pretty sure and Holden are less I think

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

swof63
20-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Yup suss on the trailer. I’ve got a 1700kg single axle easytow, looks waayyyyyy more heavy duty than that one.

catshark
20-08-2018, 09:11 PM
the 23' didn't have clinker sides (neither did the 20) but, there was a few non genuine 20's made with clinker sides (I had one) but it was not a Sharkcat, similar mold though.
my mistake about the clinker sides, ive mixed up different cats . ive googled the depth of the waterways chilly wishes to fish and seems 80 percent of the pumicestone passage is under two metres deep ? if thats the case just get a tinnie because of the sandbars .

Chilly 07
21-08-2018, 08:17 AM
In terms of depth. Trying to gt an understanding of how much water i required.So the 3 and 2 clinkers makes sense and the depth suggested is a great help!
Being new to boating I was expecting to take some time to learn how it drives.

I am also asking for beach landings and getting off again.

i would say sitting in the water , you would have up too 3 of the clinker in the water at the back, on the plane im guessing 2 clinkers draft in the water , does that make sense? Are you concerned where you are its shallow, most cats are on the heavy side so i would aim too have at least 3 ft of water minimum . perhaps better too have at least 5ft to be safe. You say this is your first boat, wow for the safety aspect it will be perfect for you , however twin hulls can be scary , when or if you test drive it , when you turn at a good speed , not too fast mind you but you will feel the hull want to lean over and feels like its going to tip, its that feeling that will determine if you can get used to it or not, it can leave your deck mates or family not wanting too come back out with you. However in saying that about that feeling . l can say that the cat is superior in all other aspects to the monohull, if you do buy it, then take your time in learning to drive it, as you wont master a cat overnight .

Fed
21-08-2018, 10:19 AM
The trailer frame looks pretty right they were a frame that sat on a frame it would be good to see a lot more pictures.
I think there's been the best part of a foot cut off the back if you compare where the water gutter thing finishes on the original.
Raising the windscreen has raised the seats to be able to see but it's put the steering wheel too low.
Mentioning 'new to boating' I meant you don't know what you're getting yourself into rather than lack of driving skills, they come with time on the water.
Have you looked at any monos in the 17'-18' range?
Check the length against the end of where the water gutter finishes in the first picture.
(The raised section extending back from the cab.)

Noelm
21-08-2018, 11:34 AM
That green one with the curved motor wells is an oldie, I seem to remember the first 20 was built from that design, just 3 foot cut off, they had the fuel tanks above decks, one on each side standing upright, just behind the helm position, pretty good old boats back then, motors were usually the biggest Mercs made at the time.

catshark
21-08-2018, 08:30 PM
l tell you that biege color cat looks strange with the cut back look, honorable mention to the caravan annexes in the background, and the signwriting on the hull , nice bit of free hand signwriting. Also need extension laddder to get into the cat.