PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium boat trailer question

ALMS2018
02-08-2018, 02:16 PM
im close to finishing my boat, its a 6m custom built alloy boat,approx 20 years old. Its a gullwing, with pods attached, and quite heavy. the builders didnt muck aorund with alu and used 4mm-6mm and 8mm over the boat. it has a 90l underfllor tank and a 175kg motor also, plus all the floors and extras,so quite heavy.

My question is, is it better on skids on a trailer or rollers ?. Current set up is 20 rollers, 10 a side, but im thinking id prefer skids and it would absorb the weight a bit better. Whats the best solution for a heavy alloy boat ?

thankyou

Chimo
02-08-2018, 06:48 PM
This vote is for lots of rollers and a winch to pull the boat on and an "8" to lower it into the water under total control.
Much easier on your brakes and bearings if you not drowning them.
Where are you located by the way?

Cheers
Chimo

brett62
02-08-2018, 07:14 PM
Go multi roller and never look back.

Chimo
02-08-2018, 07:20 PM
:lever = never ; we assume?

ALMS2018
02-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Located on the clarence river, oftne use Harwood,yamba,maclean and Durrington lane ramps.

brett62
03-08-2018, 06:32 AM
:lever = never ; we assume?

Thanks Chimo. Must remember to put the glasses on.

Chimo
03-08-2018, 09:57 AM
no worries..

hungry6
03-08-2018, 08:09 PM
I recently had a 5.6m built and got a custom alloy trailer to suit.
I had a long and har think about it and in the end went with teflon slider for entire trailer. I set it up in a way that it is easy to drive on, no missing the roller thing.
But the most important thing for me was maintenance, or should I say lack of it..
I went with slides as I will probably never have to replace them, where as the roller will wear in the usual spot and the retaining steel pin will rust out eventually regardless how how well you clean it.
The only thing I hvae to worry are axles, which has anodes in them. I hope they work... so far so good.

tunaticer
04-08-2018, 08:25 AM
The only thing I hvae to worry are axles, which has anodes in them. I hope they work... so far so good.

Presumably you have galvanized axles?
And you have fitted zinc anodes to them?
This will give you zero extra protection for the axles.
Fact.

hungry6
04-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Yes true, probably not, but I have notice is the boat take 30mins-1 hour to dry and the spring packs take 2-4 days. I might be wrong here, but while wet and with remaining salt in there, every little bit help.
Also another point I forgot to point out with slides is that from experience, a friend followed us to Stanage and when we got there, all the rollers were loose and drop down, god knows how long that boat travel along the dirt road flopping around.
I guess u could say tighten the rollers, and we did on the way out, made no differnce, corrugation has a way of loosening things.

seastrength
04-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Yes true, probably not, but I have notice is the boat take 30mins-1 hour to dry and the spring packs take 2-4 days. I might be wrong here, but while wet and with remaining salt in there, every little bit help.
Also another point I forgot to point out with slides is that from experience, a friend followed us to Stanage and when we got there, all the rollers were loose and drop down, god knows how long that boat travel along the dirt road flopping around.
I guess u could say tighten the rollers, and we did on the way out, made no differnce, corrugation has a way of loosening things.

Thanks for the info hungry6. I am planning my second trip to Stanage after Christmas and pleased to hear the slides are a better option than rollers on the corrugations. I went with slides and a boat catch on my new alloy trailer and I am pleased with the ease of solo launch and recovery for Moreton Bay fishing, although I will have a decky for the Stanage trip. Just wondering how you fitted anodes to the trailer axles and the zinc brand used. SS

hungry6
05-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Got one in the bottom side of the rear U bolt, That where I find it forever moist and last to dry.

gazza2006au
05-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Has anyone else found that poly bunk trailers the boats just want to fly off? i tend to find both alloy and glass on a roller trailer takes some omph to get it to move but that poly stuff on a aluminium hull is quiet a handful unless u winch on winch off