PDA

View Full Version : 7 Meter Plate Boat Hard top - Formosa or something else

sancho69
29-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Looking at upgrading my 5.5 meter plate boat... to something around the 7 to 7.5 meter mark.
I'm planning to do a bit of offshore work in Victoria and i enjoy getting out in the colder months when the boat ramps are empty as well.

I've had a look at the Bar Crushers and Surtees, but the decks are very narrow and coming from a wide boat, i find them too narrow.

I know that the ballast systems on the Bar Crusher and Surtees provide a better ride in rougher conditions, compared to a Formosa Tomahawk or a Stacer Seahawk, but really how much better are they - and they do come at a considerable extra cost. I understand you get what you pay for, but i'm after a SAFE hard top boat... also considered the Mclay and Stabicraft, but the statecraft is probably out of my budget (100k with motor, no electronics)

I liked the layout of the tomahawk offshore 700/740 hardtop. Could go Honda/Suzkuki/Yamaha or been very adventurous and get a Evinrude ETEC G2...

Looking for some feedback and people's ideas..

RayLamp
29-07-2018, 10:14 PM
I have heard that these are well regarded http://richardsonmarine.com.au/2016/03/09/seacruiser-6300cc-2/

chocolatemoose
29-07-2018, 10:55 PM
soooo many choices in plate boats.
have a look at ozseas plate boats
are you looking new or 2nd hand

Noelm
30-07-2018, 06:52 AM
Yeah agree, so much choice out there, by the way, the ballast system is not there to improve ride, (kind of) it fills with water when stopped to help stability. Your choice might be budget driven, if that's the case, then the mass produced boats will be much cheaper (Quintrex/Stacer) but, not as good as a full custom builder, the "semi" mass produced (Barcrusher/Surtees) fit between those two, in my opinion only, please Barcrusher/Surtees/Quintrex/Stacer owners, don't roast me, it's just how I see it! On Saturday I was talking to a friend of my son who just got a big Stabi hardtop, with a Honda, very expensive boat when it is ready to fish, and (once again, only my opinion) not exactly a great looking boat.

sancho69
30-07-2018, 09:02 AM
soooo many choices in plate boats.
have a look at ozseas plate boats
are you looking new or 2nd handNew... Or very near new.. I want something with motor warranty if I'm going to spend that kind of money

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Noelm
30-07-2018, 11:22 AM
My local dealer has a near new Quintrex Yellowfin for sale, 6.5m? but only has a Bimini, not a hardtop, they had a ripper hardtop for sale a few months ago, but it's gone now.

gazza2006au
30-07-2018, 03:23 PM
How narrow are these HT boats? in NSW we have a 2.5 meter width limit anything over needs a permit to tow that is maybe why these boats are narrow but long

Jason Green
30-07-2018, 04:22 PM
How narrow are these HT boats? in NSW we have a 2.5 meter width limit anything over needs a permit to tow that is maybe why these boats are narrow but long

Bar Crusher 730 Ht and 780 HT 2.45m beam

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Noelm
30-07-2018, 05:11 PM
They are pretty skinny when fishing in them.

BigE
30-07-2018, 05:35 PM
but they sit down nicely in the water and are stable at rest.

not a plate man myself but i do rate the 6.7m crusher i have fished from. the ride is good (throw some spray) and they settle nicely to fish from , the bloody bloop de bloop noise from the ballast tube annoys me and shits me to tears if you need to kip on an overnight trip.

BigE

Dirtyfuzz
30-07-2018, 08:10 PM
There would have to be some custom builders in Victoria that would come within budget? OMM here on Sunshine Coast make a nice boat and could possibly deliver! was about to get one built myself if I didn’t decide to take on this Kevlacat refurb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottar
30-07-2018, 08:41 PM
but they sit down nicely in the water and are stable at rest.

not a plate man myself but i do rate the 6.7m crusher i have fished from. the ride is good (throw some spray) and they settle nicely to fish from , the bloody bloop de bloop noise from the ballast tube annoys me and shits me to tears if you need to kip on an overnight trip.

BigE

Alloy hulls with the big reverse chine that comes up out of the water forward are painful too if you are a light sleeper. Foam filling may help but I wasn't game to try when I bought my own rig.

gazza2006au
30-07-2018, 11:28 PM
2.45m explains a lot it still retains a trailer boat but is pretty much at its width limit wise, i donno how permits work weather u get one for a long period like a year it would really be annoying if u need a new permit each fishing trip just to own a boat over 2.5m wide but seems like the manufacturers are staying within the max width for towable trailer boats

when your getting up there 7-7.5m x 2.45m that would look really odd

i have never been on a big boat over 5.6m other than a Sydney ferry

chocolatemoose
31-07-2018, 10:00 AM
would you be towing it mostly in Victoria?

myusernam
31-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Not sure about vic but in qld there is a special bulletin that covers you up to 2.9m wide with an ordinary car license. Just some flags and signs/ not overly restricted. Biggest issue is the vehicle to tow the weight.

chocolatemoose
31-07-2018, 10:36 AM
here in victoria you can tow up to 3mt wide without a permit , 2.5m+ you need corner flags and oversized banner "no big deal"
i think any 7mt boat should be at least 2.5 wide or more if you want a decent stable ride. "wild generalization i know"

RayLamp
31-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Just sell lefty and get one of these :)

https://youtu.be/b3GQHMw_adw

ranmar850
01-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Alloy hulls with the big reverse chine that comes up out of the water forward are painful too if you are a light sleeper. Foam filling may help but I wasn't game to try when I bought my own rig.

if overnighters are big on your list, you'd better have another good reason to want a platey. All ally boats are noisy at rest, period, no matter how big they are. I've spent many a night at sea in large ( to 50ft) plate hulls, and preferred to swag it on the deck rather than endure the constant slap down below.

sancho69
06-08-2018, 10:30 PM
Ended up buying a Surtees 700 Gamesfisher.... after looking at the Formosa and all the other entry level plate boats like Yellowfin and Stacer, there is a massive difference in built quality, especially around the quality of welding and paint finish. Also it seems that the Surtees is the softest riding plate boat on the market at the moment.. Comfort is a big factor.

chocolatemoose
08-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Yeah groovy boat mate. did y ou go enclosed wheelhouse?

Ended up buying a Surtees 700 Gamesfisher.... after looking at the Formosa and all the other entry level plate boats like Yellowfin and Stacer, there is a massive difference in built quality, especially around the quality of welding and paint finish. Also it seems that the Surtees is the softest riding plate boat on the market at the moment.. Comfort is a big factor.

sancho69
10-08-2018, 12:18 AM
No, its a 7mt gamefisher, hardtop - i'll get removable plastic clears made up behind the seats. The hard top is nice, but its another 10k+.... and it takes more space away...

Plastic clears will keep the wind out and any spray if the weather gets really bad...