PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new boat trailer

lethal
23-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Can anyone give me any advice on setting up a new boat trailer to suit a fiberglass half cab please

thanks
Lee

Chimo
23-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Roller or bunk?

ozscott
23-07-2018, 06:33 PM
I have had 3 bunk trailers and 2 multi roller trailers. I would take multi roller with pivoting rear anyday. But a well set up bunk with Eziguide or similiar is also quite good for smaller boats, particularly alloy.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Dignity
23-07-2018, 06:45 PM
Roller or bunk?

Chimo was too kind, lots more info required, photos would also help.

Chimo
23-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Dignity is spot on IMHO

catshark
23-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Have the keel rollers take most of the weight, chine rollers to take a little weight but more to stabilise the hull. transom overhang from back of trailer approx 3 inches so to not to foul up the sonar. l like to keep my hull riding low on trailers with just enough clearance over the wheel guard, less trailer to dunk into the saltwater. Set your keel rollers, and adjust the rest, take a car jack with you. Always had roller trailers, rough, good and new, cant comment on bunk trailers but i think their simplicity and maintenence would be great . have fun.

gazza2006au
24-07-2018, 12:41 AM
Another thing is setting the boat up from front to back of late i am seeing boats on new trailers where the front rollers are positioned higher at the front and lower at the back i can only guess for easier launching on shallow ramps but those boats must just fall off at the ramp, i prefer a small amount of friction maybe 10 kilo's worth of pushing force to get the boat to move off

Hagar
24-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Hi Lee
Consider doing this . If your boat is still on the old trailer and you want to change it over it is easier to get a mate on a quiet day and take them both to the ramp . Borrow a workshop jack or similar and take a few blocks of wood. Launch the boat and set the keel rollers as close by eye as you can to the old trailer . Same for the multi rollers . Float the boat onto the new one and pull it out a bit and have a look . You might want to take load off the side rollers if they are taking too much . If close enough pull it out to the flat area and use the trolley jack to adjust the keel rollers and tilt cradle if it has one up / down to correct weight on them . Adjust the side multi rollers to get the boat level last . Saves a lot of grunting .

Hagar

chocolatemoose
24-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Do yourself a big favour and buy a boat catch

catshark
24-07-2018, 07:56 PM
second a boat catch too for a half cab. What brand of trailer did you get? Its a bit of a job setting up a trailer, my smallest boat/alloy trailer gave me more trouble than my bigger fibreglass boats did.

scottar
24-07-2018, 08:46 PM
The way the pro's do it - with the boat slung by a forklift so you can adjust the rollers to suit under it. As the average punter doesn't have one of these (at least not this average punter), it then depends on the trailer. Keel roller trailers are pretty straight forward assuming your boat has little to no shape to the keel - measurement and a straight edge as a start for the keel rollers and then adjust everything else to suit - as mentioned with the outer rollers or bunks playing more of a balancing role than taking significant weight. A full roller cradle trailer is a different kettle of fish all together with the keel rollers playing little to no part in supporting the hull once the boat is in the cradle. Doing these to the N'th degree involves knowing your weights, a bit of math and a set of scales - setting it so each roller is basically carrying its share. Roller placement revolving around making sure that none of the strakes end up on a roller or are likely to catch and guide the boat off centre during retrieval.

Boat catches are a great thing if you intend driving on. Personally I don't but if I was heading down the boat catch path, I would want a separate connection without the extra length/leverage for securing the boat to the trailer under tow. I have seen a boat catch that was involved in a traffic altercation - opened up like a jam tin.

lethal
25-07-2018, 08:11 AM
its a wobble roller trailer

lethal
25-07-2018, 08:19 AM
Thank you to all of you who contributed, you have armed me with enough information to work it out. I was also informed to keep around 80kg on the tow ball.

Thanks again

Lee

ozscott
25-07-2018, 08:27 AM
Lethal I work of 10 percent of loaded trailer and boat weight for towball weight. However I added a large AGM, a leccy and front fuel tank to my tinny and as a result the towball weight is 100kg vereus 700kg bost. So higher than 10 percent but it adds to stability of the trailer and if you have a live axle rear on your vehicle and assuming it can handle higher loads having significant downforce ie good.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Chimo
25-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Lee

With a wobble roller under the boat I hitch the trailer to the tow vehicle and then get under with a bottle jack that you can use under each roller set.
I was advised years ago to adjust the roller (sets) so that each roller is equally easy or hard to roll under the hull so your weight is evenly distributed across the entire trailer.

This method results in a boat the easily rolls on and off the trailer.
My Vagabond has to be held with a separate gismo or it will just disappear off the trailer at high speed when the "d" on the safety chain is released. Mind you it also come on easily too. I allow the boat to pull the winch cable (912) out to the back / rear of the trailer ready for retrieval as the boat rolls off.

Pic of the "eight" and climbing rope set up to release the boat with one hand in a controlled fashion.
The hook goes on to the tow bar and loop around the boat bow bollard and as the rope passes the "eight" (ex climbing) the boat speed off the trailer is controlled with one hand.

Hope this info helps now that I know (sort of ) what we are talking about.

Cheers
Chimo.117441

Fed
25-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Nothing to see here....