PDA

View Full Version : Are all overheads noisy?

OcciferNick
17-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Hi all,

Having never owned an overhead before I have no idea if this is just a standard thing. I just purchased a Fin-Nor Marquesa 2 speed MA20II and I find it so noisy.
Are all of them like this? And do you get use to the noise? Lol

https://youtu.be/So3Y5N5AjAs

Cheers
Nick

ozscott
17-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Sounds like the fish alert is on...is there a button or lever to turn it off?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

scottar
17-07-2018, 07:49 PM
All ....no. Some....yes. It is normally the anti reverse pawls. I do recall picking up a Marquesa and thinking exactly the same thing

OcciferNick
17-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Only button is the one on the side that I clicked off in the video. No lever either...
‘I love the look and feel of the reel it’s just annoyingly noisy! Lol

EdBerg
17-07-2018, 09:51 PM
Most aren't or you may hear an slight click, but I vaguely remember that when I looked at a Marquesa it was quite loud and that it would annoy the hell out of me, so I ruled it out, it is probably the anti reverse pawls that are clicking as scottar mentioned above. A dollop of grease on them might quieten them down but I doubt it. I just went out to the shed and tried out about four different reels (all lever drags) and the only one (a Tica) made a slight tick but that was about it. Nothing compared to the Marquesas from what I remember.

I suppose that you would eventually get used to it. probably depend on the ambient noise levels on your boat and your hearing, but it wouldn't work for me.

OcciferNick
18-07-2018, 07:25 AM
Anyone want to buy a brand new Marquesa? Lol

reggy
18-07-2018, 02:03 PM
I have a Jigging Master PE5n that is noisy because it has 2 sprung anti reverse pawls(dogs)
I am glad the dogs are sprung and don't have the ears on them to make them silent.
The sprung dogs have been found to be more reliable, even if they do bark a bit.

Getout
18-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Some game reels are built that way on purpose. Pick up a Penn international and give it a wind. The ratchet sound helps the skipper work out whether that angler is gaining, or the fish is taking line. When I am game fishing is the only time I leave the ratchet on for retrieve. Otherwise it drives me crazy!