PDA

View Full Version : what will plane easier

up the creek
23-06-2018, 01:54 PM
hi lads.

i got a 3.55 glass dinghy, its solid and im imagining heavier then a 3.55 tinnie, but under the same load/weight onboard, which will plane easier, as although the tinnie would be lighter, but with a decent load it will sink lower, where the fibreglass has a sealed lower deck, which will i thought cause the boat to float a little better under the same weight.. i know it may be either way close, but anyone got any thoughts or owned similar setups, and just for reference the glass boat had a 9.9 which went ok but i was thinking of with a 15hp..

thanks.. 8-)

Flex
23-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Sealed lower deck won’t make the glass boat float any higher at all. Only if the boat is actually full of water will it make any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Chimo
23-06-2018, 03:44 PM
fit pods and either one will plane more better.117312117311

scottar
23-06-2018, 09:09 PM
With the same hull design the lightest one will plane the easiest. As mentioned, nothing internally as far as design or construction is concerned (apart from variations in weight)will have any bearing on how deep a vessel sits in the water.

Andy56
24-06-2018, 01:29 AM
Only physical thing governing how easy a boat planes is the amount of friction that needs to be overcome. The two main sources of friction would be weight and surface area in contact with water. Weight determines how much water the boat has to push because the heavier the boat the lower in the water it sits. Surface friction is how much the boat is in contact with the water. The less contact, the easier to push. So an icypole stick will plane much faster, lol.

up the creek
24-06-2018, 12:14 PM
kool lads. i thought cos the glass boat has a section of air between the floor and bottom of boat that the air would help it float... by the way you lads are replying i guess not lol.... think ill break out the 15hp for it then its a heavy little dinghy...

gazza2006au
24-06-2018, 03:13 PM
kool lads. i thought cos the glass boat has a section of air between the floor and bottom of boat that the air would help it float... by the way you lads are replying i guess not lol.... think ill break out the 15hp for it then its a heavy little dinghy...
Both boats have the same air pocket inside of the cockpit so they would have the same buoyancy other than the fibreglass dinghy might weigh a little more to the alloy boat's construction, i would go alloy over glass in this size boat but the glass boat would be much more durable

i once hit a sand bar going flat tack in a small tinny around 3.5 meters 4 people on board i never knew how to read bouys untill i got my license a bit of a rebel lol anyhow chopped up toes and sore knees seen us spring a leak the boat was taking on water we were a good i would guess 8km's from where we put the boat in fun times...coke bottle to the rescue to bail the water

had this been the fibreglass dinghy it would have sailed strait over the sand bar and kept going lol

gazza2006au
24-06-2018, 03:15 PM
I done some reckless dumb s... as a kid lol

up the creek
24-06-2018, 10:31 PM
funny as gazza.. we hit a sandbank in a 15foot 115hp halfcab at 1am flat stick we slid for about 4 feet but felt like a dead stop lol about 10km from anyhting lucky as you said it being fibreglass we pushed it off no damage and away we went again flat stick..

Muzza
25-06-2018, 12:02 AM
Up the creek, If someone can help me I may be able to show you , I have a video of a 15 hp 2000 model merc on a 3,5m tinny ontake off
Let me know how to post it or I can send it to you mate. I now have a 2017 merc and it is quicker on the plane. In the first video I am 110 kilos plus full fuel - 12 litres and a car battery up the rear end

Cheers

up the creek
25-06-2018, 04:01 PM
hey muzza, all good mate, i know its plenty for a tinnie, my glass boat is easy over 100kg its a heavy little thing me 95kg missus and dogs, so thats why i asked, i know its plenty for me misus and basic gear, just dogs will push it over,,, misus wont like it but maybe ill have to source a cheap 20-25hp ;D