PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha T60hp High Thrust

Nibblin
21-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Hi All

New member and first time poster so thanks for any help

I have just bought a new Quintrex F440 hornet trophy and thought I would put a Yamaha T60 high thrust on the back of it. The reason being most of the time it will have a fair amount of weight in it so was chasing the extra torque to get up on the plane and push it along. The problem I have is when I put it in gear either (F or R) between 700rpm and 1100rpm its quite noisy like a rattle/vibrating noise coming from around the leg area. Its still quite new with only 8 hours on it. I've taken back to the dealer and they checked it over and said they can here the noise but couldn't find anything wrong with it and its just a characteristic of these high thrust motors and to put a few more hours on it and see how it goes. The thing is that this is my 4th Yamaha outboard I've owned and been fishing in plenty of boats over the years with Yamaha 4 stokes and none of them sound like this one.

So the question I have is does anyone out the own one of these motors and is it noisier than a normal Yamaha four stroke??????

Thanks Nibblin

Dignity
21-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Nibblin, is it a Yammy prop or did you have something special put on, Yamaha have a special anti thrust spacer/bush. I had another brand prop on mine although it was 150 hp and when put into gear I would get prop slap until the revs picked up. This could be the source of your noise, if it isn't the prop then it's in your gearbox and I be back at the dealer. Remove your prop and see if the noise is still there.

gazza2006au
21-05-2018, 08:44 PM
That's quiet strange Nib if the Yamaha dealer also hears the noise why arn't they doing something about it, IMO there is a satisfactory condition of a new motor and that doesn't include coming with rare or odd sounds try get all your work done while its still under warranty as they kiss u good bye once out of warranty

hard to find a good sales guy these days that will go out of there way to help each individual customer but they are out there just gotta find them

BigE
21-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Prop rattle is not uncommon on the high thrust legs.

I have had it on both a yammie 60 hp and a Merc 60 hp, you can sometimes lessen or get rid of it by using a different prop hub, the torque pro 3 hub worked best on the merc.

BigE

Nibblin
21-05-2018, 09:58 PM
G'day Dignity

I've tried a few different props on it to try and get the best out of the motor, The first one I tried that can on the boat when I bought it was a genuine Stainless polished Yamaha 13 1/8 by 14P but would was terrible only revving out to 4900-5000rpm. I also bought a spare alloy one (13 1/2 by 14) for when I put it in the river. I put that on and I went better revving out to 5500rpm, I've just tied a Solas Amita 13 3/4 by 13 and it get out of the water like a rocket now and revs out to 6000rpm but they all seem to make the noise when in gear at idle. The dealership has been good enough to let me swap props over and return them if they don't preform and also did say right from the start they haven't had much experience with the T60 motors as they normal fit F60 on there hornets, but I just find it a little bit odd the T60 and the F70 pretty much run the same gearbox but I've never heard of anyone complain that the gearboxes in them are a little noisy and that's why I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had the same issues.
Thanks for the reply and ill check it out.

Thanks Nibblin

Nibblin
21-05-2018, 10:08 PM
That's quiet strange Nib if the Yamaha dealer also hears the noise why arn't they doing something about it, IMO there is a satisfactory condition of a new motor and that doesn't include coming with rare or odd sounds try get all your work done while its still under warranty as they kiss u good bye once out of warranty

hard to find a good sales guy these days that will go out of there way to help each individual customer but they are out there just gotta find them

G'day Gazza

Yeah that's sort of what I'm thinking I've had Yammies all my fishing life and its just not the same as any other one I've heard but if it continues I will be taking it until they fix it. It will be up for its first service soon enough so ill make sure they check it again if I doesn't quiet down a bit. I was thinking of also emailing Yamaha directly and getting there thoughts so at least of got a log of it so that if something does happen down the track at least I can say I told you so.

Thanks Nibblin

Nibblin
21-05-2018, 10:13 PM
Prop rattle is not uncommon on the high thrust legs.

I have had it on both a yammie 60 hp and a Merc 60 hp, you can sometimes lessen or get rid of it by using a different prop hub, the torque pro 3 hub worked best on the merc.

BigE

G'day BigE

Thanks Mate I'm actually waiting on a Solas Rubex prop and hub to come cause I want to try a 14 pitch in the solas as the blade shape is slightly different to the Yammie props but I wont hold my breath as it seen to do it with different props ive tried.

Thanks for the tips
Nibblin

Noelm
22-05-2018, 06:07 AM
I just reread your original post and noticed the shifting gears at 1,100RPM, why would you be doing that? That said, it is sometimes a feature of certain brands to clunk/rattle when put into gear, but there is often ways around it as mentioned.

Dignity
22-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Nibs, if you are running a Solas prop then I suggest you are getting prop slap as they are heavier than the Yammie prop, it is what caused it on mine, it's far more noticeable if you are running the motor in a tank. It has something to do with torque and catchup rates etc etc, too technical for me. Changed props and my problem went away.it only occurs in the low rev ranges but I just didn't like it.

Crocodile
22-05-2018, 08:29 AM
Hello Nibblin,
I have a 2 stroke Yamaha 60, which I am pretty sure uses the same gearbox as the T60.
No noise as you describe, just the usual healthy clunk.

From your post you seem to be an experienced operator but I need to ask, do you give the lever a solid shove to quickly get it engaged in gear or are you doing that newbie thing of gently moving the lever and hearing the dogs go ggggrrrrrrate into gear?

Does it make the noise when it is running on the muffs with the prop removed?
I read somewhere that you shouldn't change gears when running on the muffs but as test it is probably OK.

If this is a new motor I would be leaning a bit harder on the dealer.

This is an interesting post, keep us informed.

Nibblin
22-05-2018, 12:35 PM
I just reread your original post and noticed the shifting gears at 1,100RPM, why would you be doing that? That said, it is sometimes a feature of certain brands to clunk/rattle when put into gear, but there is often ways around it as mentioned.

Hi Noelm

Sorry i may not have worked my first post clearly enough, I don't shift in to gear between 700-1100 rpm (and I'm fairly confident it won't allow you to put it into gear above idle anyway on those 703 control boxes). What i was trying to say was If i put into to gear at idle (700rpm) and as i accelerate between 700rpm and 1100rpm while moving forward or backward it has a noise/rattle between that rev range while in gear.

I am fully aware that the cluck as you put in into gear is 100% normal and Yamaha do make a Talon SDS (Shift Dampener System)prop thats meant to help with the cluck noise when shifting in and out of gear but that doesn't bother me because i know its a normal noise.

Cheers Nibblin

Nibblin
22-05-2018, 12:43 PM
G,day Digity

Thanks Mate
I have another Solas prop on the way and it has a Rubex hub system which i recon might be a bit like the SDS Yammie hub and absorb some of the prop chatter if thats the cause. Solas claim it absorbs up to 10% shock, but the noise seems to be there with the different props I've tried and possibly some props were worse that others so it will be entering to see if the Rubex hub is a bit quieter

Cheers Nibblin

Nibblin
22-05-2018, 12:56 PM
G,day Croc

I realise the clunk into gear is 100% normal. I'm taking about a noise that comes into it once its in gear either going forward or reverse between 700rpm and once i hit 1100rpm it seems to go out of it. I can't hear the noise on the muff cause the exhaust is so loud out of water, i have a fast tail on the back so i haven't got anything on hand yet where i can put the leg in to try it, but i did back in the water and started it on the trailer and tried it and same thing its still there. I love Yamaha motors and have always had them along with a lot of my fishing mates but the noise in this thing in my option is a little unusual so thats why i thought i would throw it out there and see what other boater thought

Cheers Nibblin

gazza2006au
22-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Make sure u change back to the OEM prop before u take her back to the dealer u defiantly don't want a dealer giving u the full force of a size 10 boot you know where because u changed the propeller to aftermarket and void warranty than they blame you for user error

wouldn't that be harsh but in saying the above i don't know how warranty works on new motors and changing props

Dignity
22-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Definitely sounds like prop slap, you won't hear it on muffs if you engage the gears as there's no resistance on the props.

BigE
23-05-2018, 07:22 PM
prop rattle is not uncommon on these legs.

SS props seems to be worse than the alloy ones as well.

BigE