PDA

View Full Version : Esky

Goffiller
03-05-2018, 09:25 PM
I've been searching for a Esky of around 150L with a split lid configuration that will slide under my passenger seat frame. My current esky's dimensions are approx 500mm x 500mm which is a tight but good fit. Unfortunately it seems this size is hard find and after spending a bit of time searching the net and dropping into a few stores I seem to have only two options

1) Make / buy a custom box
2) Try and turn my existing esky into a split lid.

The second option sounds to me to be the simpler option so can anyone recommend someone that can cut and plastic weld my existing esky lid? Or happy to have a go myself if someone an put me in the right direction.

Southern QLD or Northern NSW area preferably

Thanks

Rob

The Mad Cat
04-05-2018, 07:19 AM
Icey Tek do a side opening split lid 70l and a 160l, if you search BigE's posts he put up some photos a while ago. I just had Evakool make me a custom split lid ice box because I wanted a certain size and wanted the lid to open from the end as in the hinges are one set in the middle and one set on the end. Evakool will do a split lid on any of there normal stock box also. Icey Tek had a ridiculous price rise a short while ago but still cheaper than the custom box.

TMC

BigE
04-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Hi Gofiller

I sourced some 160ltr split lids for Icey Tek, really happy with them and they do some other sizes as well the Icey tek guys are spearo's and understand fisherman's needs and were very good to deal with.

Cheers BigE

BigE
04-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Oh Yeah
they come in left and right types so make sure you get one of each. I have mine so they open outwards. anti bacterial liner rope handles and duel bungs. They fit big mackerel really well without having to put a fold in them.

BigE

BigE
04-05-2018, 10:18 AM
From the web site

This is what we call our Mini Mackeral icebox, although the you will easily fit a 15kg mackerel or jewfish laid flat on the floor and even 20 kg fish will fit easily with a slight curl. I have had 38kg yellowfin tuna in this box comfortably.
Popular with fishermen who target both pelagic and reef fish as there is plenty of storage space in here or you can even put a small container or tub inside the box for your food and drinks whilst keeping them separate from the fish inside.
Each 160L ice box is fitted with 4 Heavy Duty Injection Moulded Hinges, which stop just past 90 degrees. These are strong and prevent having rope inside the box to stop the lids from flipping back.
Our 160 litre boxes are made with a split lid for ease of opening. This means that there is a split in the middle of the lid, to allow you to open only half of the lid if needed, but also the ability to open the entire lid. The split has an extra rubber seal to maintain the cold temerature inside.
Length - 1290mm
Height - 525mm
Width - 530mm
Weight - 22kg
Internal Dimensions
Length - 1125mm
Height - 380mm
Width - 390mm
Lid height when open - 1055 m

jclay1773
04-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Wow they are expensive. Wish techniice did a split lid.

Goffiller
04-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys. I checked out the Icey Tek 160l but it is ever so slightly to large. Seemed like a good esky though. External 500H x 500W is about all I can squeeze. EvaKool dimensions don't seem to fit what I am after but will give them a call to see what they might be able to do for me. I don't want to go down to far on the capacity as it comes in handy from time to time.

tenzing
04-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Just do your own
A bit of fun too
If was doing again I would use piano hinge but these from bunnings probs more robust
Just cut with circular saw and scoop some foam out
I sealed cut with polyester resin then put some adhesive eva over that.
Need to save the old plastic hinge housing on one side.
Rubber closure thingy
Hey presto ( couple of bucks)

Slides completely under frame and rubber rear fee keep it there
lift and pull back to insert fish
110 litres

BigE
04-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Eva kool will do custom ones if you go see them in person.

BigE

Cobbo1
06-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Go talk to Evakool if you’re in SEQ, Alan is a champion and nothing’s too hard, I deal with him for work quite a bit.