PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu 30hp 2 stroke for trolling

SWRFisher
29-04-2018, 09:29 PM
I have on order a Stessco Catcher 409 Ltd tinnie and keen on the reliable and said 'bullet proof' Tohatsu 30hp 2 stroke outboard that I reckon will be a good match. Mostly lure fish saltwater but do a bit of dam work incl. trolling so am interested in feedback using this motor for preferably slow trolling lures and live baits. Cheers Graeme....

ozscott
29-04-2018, 09:32 PM
M8 I have the 40hp 3 cyl. Awesome. Trolling is easy. Oil injected and leans oil out nicely so doesn't foul plugs.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SWRFisher
29-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Thanks mate but the Stessco is only rated 30hp and I want to keep the rig weight down. But yeah I've had a 3 cyl 60 Yammie 2 stroke and no problems with slow trolling. Cheers!

scottar
29-04-2018, 11:00 PM
If it's anything like my 15Hp Merc-hatsu, it's bloody horrible. Goes like a cut cat but certainly does not want to idle dead slow in gear.

ozscott
30-04-2018, 05:24 AM
I thought they were both 3 cyl but I looked up the website for Tohatsu and the 30hp is a 2cyl, much smaller displacement, and a pre-mix motor...so yes not an ideal trolling proposition...

Cheers

Noelm
30-04-2018, 05:41 AM
My mate has the same motor, but a Merc, and as mentioned, goes great, but not exactly fabulous for a bit of low speed work, he does a lot of crabbing and it is pretty "lumpy" putting around pulling traps.

up the creek
30-04-2018, 08:50 AM
if your only doing a bit of dam work as u said, can you troll with a electric motor? and still have your bullet proof tohy mostly for salt water and higher speed runs, ?

SWRFisher
30-04-2018, 09:47 AM
if your only doing a bit of dam work as u said, can you troll with a electric motor? and still have your bullet proof tohy mostly for salt water and higher speed runs, ?
Thanks yeah got a bow mount elec minn kota - just thought for extended use on main motor would be good.:-?

up the creek
30-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Thanks yeah got a bow mount elec minn kota - just thought for extended use on main motor would be good.:-?

mate years ago when all 2 strokes were a little lumpy on idle we all managed to troll with em, its only now we got super smooth motors we complain lol, it will do ok, and tohy are the best atm i reckon... it will last 20 years if looked after.

scottar
30-04-2018, 06:39 PM
mate years ago when all 2 strokes were a little lumpy on idle we all managed to troll with em, its only now we got super smooth motors we complain lol, it will do ok, and tohy are the best atm i reckon... it will last 20 years if looked after.

They are a good engine but of all the 2 bangers I have used, the one I have now is the worst at in gear idle. The little Yamaha I had was like a sewing machine - even on double oil and my old 2 pot 40 Evinrude was happy for a few hours before it needed a squirt to burn the oil off the plugs. It's a noted thing with the 2 variations of the Merc 15 - want grunt - buy the Merc-hatsu, want to troll - get the US built engine. Personally if I was doing a lot of trolling I would be getting a 4 banger if the budget stretches - looking at the new Merc 20 as a possible replacement for the Merc-hatsu down the track myself.

Noelm
30-04-2018, 06:44 PM
When that's all there was we just put up with it, because we had no choice, but these days there is no reason to worry about rough and unreliable slow trolling.

rtp1984
30-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Hi mate.
I had a 30 tohy on my 4.2 stessco.
I do a lot of trolling. From BP dam chasing bass, to towing dead baits for spannos iff DI.
It idled rough, lumping, to fast, would conk out, but never once let me down. I loved it.

I replaced it it with a 40hp 2-stroke suk. Regretted it.

Have since replaced that with a 40hp 4-stroke suk. That is next level in comparison.

So I say go for it.

Cheers Rob

SWRFisher
30-04-2018, 09:25 PM
Hi mate.
I had a 30 tohy on my 4.2 stessco.
I do a lot of trolling. From BP dam chasing bass, to towing dead baits for spannos iff DI.
It idled rough, lumping, to fast, would conk out, but never once let me down. I loved it.

I replaced it it with a 40hp 2-stroke suk. Regretted it.

Have since replaced that with a 40hp 4-stroke suk. That is next level in comparison.

So I say go for it.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, yeah the mate is our local Tohatsu dealer (could have bought any brand though) and he says the later models are somewhat better than earlier Tohy 30's plus with some suttle tweeking of the mixture and use the best oil will go a long way to having them run smoothish. Top end performance should be fine plus the elec start will be nice. Manual tilt should be okay as my last 18 Tohatsu was only about 14kg lighter.
Cheers Graeme....

ozscott
01-05-2018, 06:35 AM
Graeme I switched a little while ago to Penrite Biomarine. Very good to use. Smooth, less smoke and biodegradable. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk