PDA

View Full Version : Power head gasket replacement

Alchemy
25-04-2018, 08:13 PM
I have a 30hp Johnson 2 stroke on my tinnie, 2005 year. The gasket at the base of the power head, where it joins the leg has failed. I have removed the power head, cleaned up the surfaces and ordered new gasket.

Should i I coat the gasket in anything prior to fitting. Eg oil (if so what type), high temp silicone? In a past life I would coat in oil for large refrigeration compressor gaskets.

Thanks,
Dave.

scottar
25-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Can't comment on your model specifically but the service manual for my E-Tec reads to apply Permatex No. 2 to the edges of the inner exhaust area on both sides and to leave the other areas dry. There is also a specific tightening sequence for the bolts. Might be worth trying to download a manual for your specific model / vintage. Also makes mention to achieve proper sealing and prevent gasket damage that the bolts must be re-torqued after the engine has been bought to operating temp and then allowed to cool.

ericcs
26-04-2018, 08:39 AM
As Scottar say's, use permatex if you have some. On advice from a long time OMC tech.,I personally use omc/bpr gasket sealing compound on all gaskets except for intake and head gaskets, and just as importantly, on all bolts instead of grease.
while you have the powerhead off, replace the bottom crankcase seal, it's easy to do!

gazza2006au
26-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Use the correct torque wrench mate i have all 3 sizes 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" specifically for working on small engines, have come across engines where guys use 1/2" torch wrenches on 10-12mm bolts and totally ruin the engines

use quality tools too

as for the gasket its a machined surface it shouldn't need any sealer unless specifically mentioned in the manual all you'll do is burn the silicone or spit it out the exhaust, when u torque the bolts it will mush the gasket and create a seal that wont leak under pressure from the exhaust