PDA

View Full Version : Trailer / Bearings / Ax Capacities

Out-Station
25-04-2018, 06:59 PM
Just doing some browsing on internet and there are heaps of trailers rated as 3.0 up to 3.2 Tonne that are specified with 14" rims and electric hydraulics brakes and 45mm sq axles. My understanding was that to be 14's they would have to have ford slimline bearings in them and given axles the rating the max atm capacity would be 2800. Am I missing something or is there option to enable running parallel bearings in a 14" rim?

Jason Green
25-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Google trailer warehouse and look at there axle ratings for 14 inch rims with slimlines bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Feral
26-04-2018, 05:21 AM
1500kg - that is very interesting, they then go on to say bigger wheels reduces axle capacity? Got me stumped why that would be so.

http://www.trailerwarehouse.com.au/contents/en-us/d176.html

Dignity
26-04-2018, 07:29 AM
1500kg - that is very interesting, they then go on to say bigger wheels reduces axle capacity? Got me stumped why that would be so.

http://www.trailerwarehouse.com.au/contents/en-us/d176.html

Can't figure that one out either but if you check the tyres the dual rating is lower than the single axle rating, this one I understand.

Edit. OK had to think about it but, and this is with dual axles if I go around a sharp bend like the cul de sac at the end of my street or reversing into my yard both front and rears on the duals react differently, sometimes one leans in one direction the other often in the other, only slightly, I guess bigger rims more leverage on the hubs in these situations. Only a guess.

Noelm
26-04-2018, 08:14 AM
My trailer has the wheels set quite a long way apart, and when I reverse into the driveway, the wheels are at such bad angles, and the tyres are so twisted I try not to look at them, scares the crap out of me, I have those 600X9 Velox rims with Nankang tyres, that are getting pretty old, that's why I was asking the tyre service about 13" decent tyres because I am thinking of swapping over

Noelm
26-04-2018, 08:16 AM
OH, I forgot, I can't really see how the tyre size affects the axle rating either, but, maybe it does somehow.

DATCOL
26-04-2018, 09:45 AM
The duel rating on tyres refers to trucks with duel rear wheels it is clamed that because the road is cambered that the inside tyre caries more load than the outside one so the safety margin of about 9% load reduction is applied

COL

Jason Green
26-04-2018, 10:26 AM
You can run parallel bearings with 14 inch rims they just need to have a 84mm centre bore

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Dignity
26-04-2018, 07:14 PM
The duel rating on tyres refers to trucks with duel rear wheels it is clamed that because the road is cambered that the inside tyre caries more load than the outside one so the safety margin of about 9% load reduction is applied

COL

Unfortunately the certifier use the dual weight when measuring a trailer and working out its max GTM. I was told that the if one of the tyres blow the other one takes all the weight suddenly hence a lower rating. But I've been told a lot in my life and a lot of it is rubbish.

Dignity
26-04-2018, 07:16 PM
My trailer has the wheels set quite a long way apart, and when I reverse into the driveway, the wheels are at such bad angles, and the tyres are so twisted I try not to look at them, scares the crap out of me, I have those 600X9 Velox rims with Nankang tyres, that are getting pretty old, that's why I was asking the tyre service about 13" decent tyres because I am thinking of swapping over

I have a set of 5 13 inch rims and tyres for sale, less than 1000kms usage.

552Evo
26-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Just to add something else into the mix, don’t forget the springs.
I had 1 of the 4 wheels on my dual axle trailer go walkies (dramatic bearing failure) the port side weight was on 1 wheel.
13” wheels.
The remaining wheel handled itself ok for the cautious dash to the side of the road but the leaf spring on the remaining wheel must have been flat.
There were some sparks too.
Luckily only the underside of the trailer copped a grinding and not the boat.
All fixed under warranty with new bits.
Not a good look for a 2 month old trailer.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Noelm
26-04-2018, 07:55 PM
I have a set of 5 13 inch rims and tyres for sale, less than 1000kms usage.
Might be interested, are they early Holden pattern?

Dignity
26-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Might be interested, are they early Holden pattern?

Don't think so, I will check tomorrow and let you know via PM

Out-Station
26-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Thanks everyone, just looking at option to saving some $$, fair bit of difference between 14 inch rims with 10 inch discs versus moving up to 15's and 12's. 2.8T so 14's will work if I need to trim the budget!!

brett62
27-04-2018, 07:28 AM
Thanks everyone, just looking at option to saving some $$, fair bit of difference between 14 inch rims with 10 inch discs versus moving up to 15's and 12's. 2.8T so 14's will work if I need to trim the budget!!

Yes price goes up more than you expect. I had to go 15" rims and 12" rotors to comply with ADR for trailer braking. The 14" was never going to make it. I used 50mm axles with 70mm drops with a landcruiser hubs for a manufactures rating of 2.2 tonne per axle.

Dignity
27-04-2018, 10:41 AM
The other thing that you need to be careful of is that the rims are a registered trailer rim, many an insurance claim has been voided by people using car rims.

Dignity
27-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Don't think so, I will check tomorrow and let you know via PM

Noelm, PM sent

gazza2006au
27-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Noel that is a bit of a worry, i have 6 of those 6x9 wheels all mine are alloy rims they could become fragile when twisting on dual axle trailers, my dual axle trailer u guys have probably noticed my wheels are really close together maybe for this twisting reason?

Noelm
27-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Noelm, PM sent
No PM received....yet!

Noelm
27-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Noel that is a bit of a worry, i have 6 of those 6x9 wheels all mine are alloy rims they could become fragile when twisting on dual axle trailers, my dual axle trailer u guys have probably noticed my wheels are really close together maybe for this twisting reason?
I think they are strong enough, they have been made for years and I have never seen a broken one, had them on a few trailers over the years, and I have seen them on big caravans too.

Dignity
27-04-2018, 03:09 PM
No PM received....yet!

I shouldn't have ignored some cryptic message about leaving the page, resent.

Dignity
27-04-2018, 03:18 PM
I think they are strong enough, they have been made for years and I have never seen a broken one, had them on a few trailers over the years, and I have seen them on big caravans too.

Scared the crap out of me the first time I got a dual axle trlr, now I don't look at them except to line them up with the traffic bollard so I know I have the correct clearance in my carport. The closer they are together probably stops them trying to fight each other either that or the lead wheel blocks the view of the one behind 😉

Noelm
27-04-2018, 03:34 PM
Not too sure about the "correct" spacing for duals, I know when I replaced my springs recently I had to get them from a place in Sydney because they were the only ones that had them long enough, either that or get them custom made.

wags on the water
29-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Can't figure that one out either but if you check the tyres the dual rating is lower than the single axle rating, this one I understand.

Edit. OK had to think about it but, and this is with dual axles if I go around a sharp bend like the cul de sac at the end of my street or reversing into my yard both front and rears on the duals react differently, sometimes one leans in one direction the other often in the other, only slightly, I guess bigger rims more leverage on the hubs in these situations. Only a guess.

Morning Sam, I had asked the same question when enquiring about re-rating my CT with 17" Prado rims - Apparantly 15" rims are able to be rated higher than 17's - I'm baffled by this, so my best option is to strength my drawbar (currently 75x50mm) with a ladder (20mm roundbar construction).

tunaticer
29-04-2018, 09:12 AM
With regards to varying ratings with increased wheel diameters it comes down to leverage forces on the bearing and axle.
The bigger the diameter, the more leverage and increased forces.

Hence why most extra heavy transport trailers run far smaller diameter wheels at the expense of running the wheels at higher rpm.

wags on the water
29-04-2018, 09:23 AM
With regards to varying ratings with increased wheel diameters it comes down to leverage forces on the bearing and axle.
The bigger the diameter, the more leverage and increased forces.

Hence why most extra heavy transport trailers run far smaller diameter wheels at the expense of running the wheels at higher rpm.

I remember that jargon. The other bit of tripe I remember hearing was that I needed to be a certified welder to modify my CT - mind you I did build it from scratch myself - but that's not the issue old mate wanted to hear. I think he wanted my business.

Dignity
29-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Morning Sam, I had asked the same question when enquiring about re-rating my CT with 17" Prado rims - Apparantly 15" rims are able to be rated higher than 17's - I'm baffled by this, so my best option is to strength my drawbar (currently 75x50mm) with a ladder (20mm roundbar construction).

Mike, it is easier to rerate your trailer than you think. How close is your rego due, as time comes comes closer give me a buzz and I'll let you know how.

wags on the water
06-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Mike, it is easier to rerate your trailer than you think. How close is your rego due, as time comes comes closer give me a buzz and I'll let you know how.

Sam, we'll catch up for a chat after you return from 1770.