PDA

View Full Version : 4hp 2 stroke yammie owners?

up the creek
24-04-2018, 09:13 PM
hey gang,

just bought a 4hp 2 stroke 1999 yammie, gonna find the lightest little tinnie i can, 2 up esky and dog, dont expect to plane, or set land sea records, ha ha. but the question is in a decent tide like bribie passage will it go against the current, or will i have to go down tide etc or cross over and stick closer to banks, this is the 1st small motor ive bought and i know ill find out in a couple of months when im ready to go, but keen to know peoples thoughts. thanks...

Scott Ashe
25-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Hi mate,
i had a 10 foot savage and brand new 1996 4hp Evinrude for my first boat when I was 17. I would suggest to buy a 10 or 12 litre external tank to go a bit further as the internal tanks on the top don't hold too much fuel. I used to go from Victoria point to Macleay etc. I'd stick close to the banks to answer your question.

fishizzle
25-04-2018, 09:01 AM
I have a mercury 4hp 2 stroke on a 10 foot vnose punt. It does 5 knots flat out with me, an eskie and some rods and tackle box. I’m just over the hundred kilo mark. If I chuck my 2 kids in as well too speed drops to about 4.5 knots. But they’re only little tackers.
So I reckon you’ll be ok, but be prepared to take a while.

scottar
25-04-2018, 09:07 AM
You'll be fine. We used to run around all over Pumicestone passage out the front of Toorbul with an old 4hp Evinrude with up to 3 teenagers in a 10 footer.

gazza2006au
25-04-2018, 11:43 AM
My very first boat when i was about 17 was a small 3.2 meter tinny i weighted around 50kg i was skinny back than haha things change anyhow with 4 of us in the tinny with a 4hp Evinrude it struggled than when we got back to the wharf i took it for a spin by my self the little boat got up on the plane and cruised along went at lease 4 times the speed, try and add a thin home made hydro foil to your motor from maybe some 3-4mm aluminium sheet it should help alot

up the creek
25-04-2018, 02:39 PM
thanks lads,,, as thought its only a baby motor and i am happy to take a while to get up the passage,,, beats rowing lol,,, i just want to get out on the water, i know i liked all your posts but i liked them ha ha, ill look at a hydofoil,,, i would like if just me and missus small amount of fuel and small esky could plane without dog etc,,, so we can go a little further on adventures up creeks etc, so ill use all your tips,

fishizzle
25-04-2018, 02:57 PM
I doubt it’ll plane. But I reckon it’ll get you there. Where do you plan on launching? And where do you want to fish?

up the creek
25-04-2018, 06:46 PM
fishizzle, launch anywhere in se qld, if it just gets me a few kms away from any launch spot to feel like im gettin ms out and about ill be happy. :)

scottar
25-04-2018, 07:08 PM
No chance it will plane with 2 adult POB. Might just get there with one if you shift weight forward but unless you are a light weight probably not. Perfect size outboard to do a bit of trolling for flathead if you aren't in a hurry and if you have the option of getting an 11 or 12 foot cartopper over the 10 footer, take it. Especially with the pooch on board the extra room will be a good thing and the small amount of extra weight will make stuff all difference to the speeds achieved.

catshark
25-04-2018, 07:27 PM
thought about a canoe with outrigger? slim line , cutting thru water easily with minimum HP . What about the 3metre polycat from spindrift, they have also a 4 metre plastic cat with positve floatation.

up the creek
26-04-2018, 03:41 PM
would an older 2 cylinder 5hp have much more power?

fishizzle
26-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Not really, and you’ll have to register a 5hp whereas a 4hp doesn’t require registration. If you’re going to pay registration imo you’re better getting a 15hp or the like.

fishizzle
26-04-2018, 04:26 PM
If you’d like to try out your 4hp on my 10foot punt to give you an idea on how it runs shoot me a pm

up the creek
26-04-2018, 06:25 PM
thanks for the offer fish, i got a little work to do to motor new prop service etc, ill hopefully have a boat b4 i need to run it, and yeah bigger motor would be good i had a tohy18 which was plenty of power, had to sell it for car repairs, so to save cash i got a box trailer already, and thought cartop, small motor, small boat no 2nd trailer/rego and just until i get back to work, ill putt around until i can afford somethin a little quicker..

fishizzle
26-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Good idea, I got my little 10 footer as a car topper and went with the 4 hp to save on rego as we have the other boat & trailer as well as the camper. It all adds up. There’s loads of places in and around Brisbane you’ll be able to use it.

NomadNoosa
26-04-2018, 07:41 PM
thought about a canoe with outrigger? slim line , cutting thru water easily with minimum HP . What about the 3metre polycat from spindrift, they have also a 4 metre plastic cat with positve floatation.

Theres a bloke in Noosa with a setup like that. Homemade outrigger connected to about a 10ft - 11ft canoe with a 4hp mounted on the back crossmember between the outrigger and the canoe. It fairly hooks around with him and his dog in it. Looks like it pulls apart pretty easy as well. Cheap boating

up the creek
26-04-2018, 10:57 PM
Theres a bloke in Noosa with a setup like that. Homemade outrigger connected to about a 10ft - 11ft canoe with a 4hp mounted on the back crossmember between the outrigger and the canoe. It fairly hooks around with him and his dog in it. Looks like it pulls apart pretty easy as well. Cheap boating

it would be a kool little setup and it should hook, only problem for me is, missus missus missus lol, she wont get into a canoe ha ha,

gazza2006au
27-04-2018, 01:54 PM
UTC I'n NSW your allowed to drive a boat without a license so long as the boat is registered and u don't go over 10 knots my mates use this rule on a Quintrex Bow Rider 5.3 meter boat with a 130hp Yamaha we have been pulled up at lease 7-8 times by police and maritime check your regulations in QLD it may be similar, i have my license so if they say my mates cannot drive for some reason i pull out mine

tug_tellum
27-04-2018, 04:44 PM
I have a 3hp Yamaha on my 10 ft. cat
It does 5knots. Wont plane. Pretty sure Qld rules are : up to 4 hp no rego. Up to 6hp no lisence
My motor is now seized,looking for another one if you hear of anything let me know. Im in Redcliffe ,Brisbane northside.
tug

TheRealPoMo
27-04-2018, 05:52 PM
In QLD I always thought it was under 10hp OR non planing and INCAPABLE of 10 knots - not just doing under 10 for no license.
Could be wrong as always.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

scottar
27-04-2018, 06:03 PM
In QLD I always thought it was under 10hp OR non planing and INCAPABLE of 10 knots - not just doing under 10 for no license.
Could be wrong as always.

When I first got into boating, it was anything over 4hp or powered and launched at a public ramp required rego. Anything over 6 Hp or capable of over 10 knots regardless of horsepower required a license. I had a quick look at the rego/license requirements the other night and the 10 knot reference seems to have vanished - probably too hard to police.

TheRealPoMo
27-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Well 10 years ago it was definitely under 10 hp no license. Was rego'd tho. Dealer gave me instructions for deristricting the 9.9 Mariner back to a 15hp...when I got a license of course. ...

up the creek
27-04-2018, 08:44 PM
When I first got into boating, it was anything over 4hp or powered and launched at a public ramp required rego. Anything over 6 Hp or capable of over 10 knots regardless of horsepower required a license. I had a quick look at the rego/license requirements the other night and the 10 knot reference seems to have vanished - probably too hard to police.

dealer told me other day,he eluded to even under 4hp ,,,, if launched at a boat ramp still needed rego... spose they want amenaties paid for, there is some confusion over this as u said scotta stuff we all thought is not exactly stated online..

fishizzle
28-04-2018, 07:43 AM
In qld 4hp and under doesn’t require rego, regardless of where you launch.

up the creek
28-04-2018, 01:47 PM
yeah thats what i thought fish, but as said people still aint sure.

up the creek
28-04-2018, 05:28 PM
I have a 3hp Yamaha on my 10 ft. cat
It does 5knots. Wont plane. Pretty sure Qld rules are : up to 4 hp no rego. Up to 6hp no lisence
My motor is now seized,looking for another one if you hear of anything let me know. Im in Redcliffe ,Brisbane northside.
tug

tug i pm you, re want a motor.