PDA

View Full Version : Bribe passage

Matthew jones
11-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Hello legends,
first time poster here.

Looking for a few tips. Heading up on the weekend to rent a boat for the day and fish the high/run-out tide.
Any tips where I could drop a sabiki jig to catch some small live bait? Wanting to fish near the bridge for some snapper etc...

Jeremy
11-04-2018, 07:46 PM
You should be able to catch a few livies under the bridge itself - pike and herring - but might be easier with a cast net than a bait jig. The bridge fishes well at times. Big tides this weekend so best on the turn of the tide. Anchor under the bridge and cast lightly weighted baits up current and drift them back towards you. When the run picks up it will be impossible to fish so you will have to go elsewhere. Hope this helps

Matthew jones
11-04-2018, 07:52 PM
You should be able to catch a few livies under the bridge itself - pike and herring - but might be easier with a cast net than a bait jig. The bridge fishes well at times. Big tides this weekend so best on the turn of the tide. Anchor under the bridge and cast lightly weighted baits up current and drift them back towards you. When the run picks up it will be impossible to fish so you will have to go elsewhere. Hope this helpsHelps heaps thanks. Will fish the flats when the run gets too much.

Any other types of bait I could use to catch some snapper etc?

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

tunaticer
11-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Drift from the bridge towards the jetty, plenty of rubble through there and some decent pan sized snapper can be found. I prefer yellowtail pike fillets about the size of your finger with just enough weight to reach the bottom.

Matthew jones
12-04-2018, 09:02 AM
Drift from the bridge towards the jetty, plenty of rubble through there and some decent pan sized snapper can be found. I prefer yellowtail pike fillets about the size of your finger with just enough weight to reach the bottom.Thanks for for the tips. Will post results from weekend. Cheers.

ovakil
14-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Don't leave crab pots unattended.
Mine got raided ,cut open and bait bags got taken.
Last Sunday.

Matthew jones
15-04-2018, 12:25 PM
Didnt put any crab pots down.

Got a 2 35cm bream at bridge at high tide. Runout tide got too much. Fished the flats up the passage with only little luck. Pumped plenty of yabbies and while i was there then headed up tp the wreckage. Caught a 43 cm whiting. Moved onto mouth of ningi and caught about 6 30-35 cm breams. Had a bit of fun catching the stings. Mate caught shovel nose sting - bigger then 1m.

Matthew jones
15-04-2018, 12:26 PM

Jeremy
15-04-2018, 07:01 PM
You done well there, particularly for someone who doesn't know the area well. Good feed.

bustaonenut
16-04-2018, 06:15 AM
Nice catch mate although you might need to learn how to use that ruler ;)

Matthew jones
17-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Nice catch mate although you might need to learn how to use that ruler ;)How am i meant to use it? Haha

Matthew jones
17-04-2018, 10:27 AM
You done well there, particularly for someone who doesn't know the area well. Good feed.Thanks. Obviously dont want to rent a boat everytime but looking forward to learning the passage and deep sea fishing in coral sea.

Dignity
17-04-2018, 11:25 AM
How am i meant to use it? Haha

Fishes nose against the upright section. I too was looking for the 43 cm Whiting or was that a typo and should 34cm Whiting.

Matthew jones
17-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Fishes nose against the upright section. I too was looking for the 43 cm Whiting or was that a typo and should 34cm Whiting.Jesus i feel like a gumby. 34 cm. Cheers

Haji-Baba
17-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Hello M.J. To my untrained eye I would suggest that two fish in that photo, second row down could be silver grunter.

Just as a precaution check your minimum size requirements.

I am probably wrong but may pay to check.

Haji-Baba

Matthew jones
17-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Hello M.J. To my untrained eye I would suggest that two fish in that photo, second row down could be silver grunter.

Haji-BabaHi haji, im always trying to make sure i identify the species to prevent that. Thought they were bream. Will be more cautious in case it was. Thanks :)

Matthew jones
17-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Hi haji, im always trying to make sure i identify the species to prevent that. Thought they were bream. Will be more cautious in case it was. Thanks :)

gunna
17-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Yep. Sure look like undersized grunter.

Matthew jones
17-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Yep. Sure look like undersized grunter.Will be more careful. Thanks :)

Dignity
17-04-2018, 10:37 PM

Haji-Baba

Thought there was a gunter in there, generally 30cm minimum size although they are too skinny for my liking. Also a nice tarwhine in there. Keep fishing Matthew

Homer_Jay
18-04-2018, 06:25 AM
Good on you Matthew. Sounds like an honest mistake on the grunter.
Fiah identification and sizing can be difficult, I know I have made mistakes in the past.

and good on everyone else for helping with teaching and not just loading up on the poor guy like some of the sh!t I see on the Facebook fishing pages.

ozscott
18-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Yep great thread gents. It's such a shame that this site is not as active with Friendface/Boastbook taking over.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk