PDA

View Full Version : Ants in the boat

Scalem
05-04-2018, 11:07 AM
I'm currently going through the same tactics as you would if the pest control guys treat your house, laying ant rid baits down, dusting with permethrin but so far my efforts are temporary success. With this wet weather, i am sure the boat is the perfect dry and warm place for these nuisance insects to set up a highway into my pride and joy via any means they can. The neighbour had a cleanup and one palm frond was enough of a bridge to set up a super highway. Recently they climbed in via the padlock and chain i have around a post for security, ive found another place to use the padlock, but i feel its only a matter of time before they find another route. Depending on the species, i know they made a fine mess moving into timber joins of my outdoor pergola, cultivating thier own fungi and mold which they eat. I just don't like the idea of these guys moving into the boat and bringing dirt, ant cemeteries ( when they die you find the bodies everywhere)and setting up shop in my boat. What does everyone else do to move them on?

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Tracker
05-04-2018, 11:43 AM
I will be watching this post.
Those tiny black plicks have taken over around here.
So far all efforts to persuade them to move next door have failed.
They are all through the boat,house,and shed.
The only spray that seems to slow them down is a cheep pressure can form aldi.
When I spray the normal pest sprays they get the chairs out and have a barby.>:(

brett62
05-04-2018, 12:30 PM
I had the bastards move into our rock cave in the pool and also made a home in the boat climbing up the hull in through the drain in the anchor compartment. Declared war and got some insecticide from bunnings which you mix up in water and spray through the garden sprayer. Dries clear and killed anything that it touched. It was only about $25 for 100ml and 10ml to a liter of water. When a ant walks on it it carries it back to their mates and that's the end. Late in the afternoons you could not sit around the pool due to the bastards climbing all over you. I only did one application and with in 24 hours I was ant free. The pool area looked like a kill zone in the morning and they haven't come back in 12 months.

PixieAU
05-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Put a smear of grease around their path in and they won't cross it

Need to redo every fortnight or so

up the creek
05-04-2018, 02:06 PM
I had the bastards move into our rock cave in the pool and also made a home in the boat climbing up the hull in through the drain in the anchor compartment. Declared war and got some insecticide from bunnings which you mix up in water and spray through the garden sprayer. Dries clear and killed anything that it touched. It was only about $25 for 100ml and 10ml to a liter of water. When a ant walks on it it carries it back to their mates and that's the end. Late in the afternoons you could not sit around the pool due to the bastards climbing all over you. I only did one application and with in 24 hours I was ant free. The pool area looked like a kill zone in the morning and they haven't come back in 12 months.

there are a few ways that may work... but as brett says and its the way that works best is.. using the baits/sprays etc that go back and infect the nest, and more specifically 1 queen per nest and when she dies the lot move on or die i think,... also with the aid of the poison..

Dezzer
05-04-2018, 07:47 PM
there are a few ways that may work... but as brett says and its the way that works best is.. using the baits/sprays etc that go back and infect the nest, and more specifically 1 queen per nest and when she dies the lot move on or die i think,... also with the aid of the poison..Don't know if it's the same stuff that brett62 talks of but David Gray's termite and ant spray from bunnings does the job for me, I spray the nests and tracks and seems to stop them, until the next infestation anyway
https://www.bunnings.com.au/david-grays-500ml-ant-and-termite-spray_p3015755

perko
05-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Found crawly cruncher spray the best in the boat. But hard to find. Coles usually stock it.

ericcs
05-04-2018, 09:23 PM
i got some of the stuff the pest controllers use(termidor). mix it at 3% and whet the ants. had them in my caravan and boat, after a week there were thousands of dead ones everywhere. not 1 now, and it has been at least 6 months!

Feral
06-04-2018, 05:36 AM
Boat is generally undercover, so a squirt of surface spray around the hull does the trick for a few months at a time.

Scalem
06-04-2018, 05:37 AM
Don't know if it's the same stuff that brett62 talks of but David Gray's termite and ant spray from bunnings does the job for me, I spray the nests and tracks and seems to stop them, until the next infestation anyway
https://www.bunnings.com.au/david-grays-500ml-ant-and-termite-spray_p3015755

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile appPreparing for war using this one Dezzer, thanks for that. I suspect they are in the front windscreen frame, the Yalta is a perspex with warning stickers not to use chemicals on it, do you think it will still work if i paint into the gaps between the frame and the glass of the boat?

Dezzer
06-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Preparing for war using this one Dezzer, thanks for that. I suspect they are in the front windscreen frame, the Yalta is a perspex with warning stickers not to use chemicals on it, do you think it will still work if i paint into the gaps between the frame and the glass of the boat?

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile appThe solvent used is petroleum based so most likely wouldn't be wise to spray directly on the perspex, get them coming in or out of there though would work, as earlier they should carry the permethrin back to the nest

Dignity
06-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Preparing for war using this one Dezzer, thanks for that. I suspect they are in the front windscreen frame, the Yalta is a perspex with warning stickers not to use chemicals on it, do you think it will still work if i paint into the gaps between the frame and the glass of the boat?

Go to your local fibreglass store and buy a syringe (maybe you can buy them at the chemist but I get mine st local FG place) then carefully squirt into gaps, it is better if you also have a needle as this gets into really tight spots or if there are screws you can undo try in there. The problem with ants is that there are 2 types, the ones with a sweet tooth and those that prefer protein. Products like AntRid only stop sweet tooth suckers, I haven't looked around for baits that prefer protein, I might now have to do a Google search as I have several colony's around the place and for gotten what i useductive to use. There are things like David Grays as mentioned by Dezzer but haven't seen it at bunnings recently as it is quite toxic, produce merchants sell similar products and one produced at Acacia Ridge is Fortune 500 although this is not supposed to be sold domestically. Most of these you really should use a mask and gloves as they are extremely hazardous and very easily absorbed through the skin. Good luck on getting rid of them.

Scalem
07-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Go to your local fibreglass store and buy a syringe (maybe you can buy them at the chemist but I get mine st local FG place) then carefully squirt into gaps, it is better if you also have a needle as this gets into really tight spots or if there are screws you can undo try in there. The problem with ants is that there are 2 types, the ones with a sweet tooth and those that prefer protein. Products like AntRid only stop sweet tooth suckers, I haven't looked around for baits that prefer protein, I might now have to do a Google search as I have several colony's around the place and for gotten what i useductive to use. There are things like David Grays as mentioned by Dezzer but haven't seen it at bunnings recently as it is quite toxic, produce merchants sell similar products and one produced at Acacia Ridge is Fortune 500 although this is not supposed to be sold domestically. Most of these you really should use a mask and gloves as they are extremely hazardous and very easily absorbed through the skin. Good luck on getting rid of them.Found David Grays and had a good read of the label. I didn't leave bunnings without buying a mask and rubber gloves. Also wore longs and all the associated ppe. So i not only nuked the boat but the surrounds where i could see the ants tracking up pillars and brickwork around the house. I found a sprayer in the garden shed that enabled a better control of spray, so i was able to get in close to the base of the windscreen where i suspect they are hiding, without over spray. A syringe was a great suggestion and I have one or two already, but not because of any addictions, our cat was recently prescribed antibiotics for a cough. I'll use that when im next in the boat ( the syringe, not the cat as much as i am tempted) and start unscrewing dashboards and things to find where tje ants may be lurking. Thanks for all the replies fellas, the 1st treatment of David Grays has knocked them for a 6, we'll keep our eyes peeled for any more ants.[emoji4]

brett62
07-04-2018, 09:47 AM
Scalem I will look in the shed and get the name of the stuff I used if you don't have success. If you use something that lets them carry it back to the nest you will win the war.

robsue
07-04-2018, 02:24 PM
just spray surface spray or what others have recommended on any part, ie tyres, jocket wheel tyre, that are coming into contact with the ground.....no need to spray in boat after you have exterminated them onboard

Dignity
07-04-2018, 02:30 PM
just spray surface spray or what others have recommended on any part, ie tyres, jocket wheel tyre, that are coming into contact with the ground.....no need to spray in boat after you have exterminated them onboard

Oh no, not the tyres. The boss bought some moretein extra strong stuff, once sprayed I can't seem go get it off the tiles or walls easily, requires a lot of soap and scrubbing. With regards to tyres i would be a bit suss about spraying them, it might be just me, but I've seen what some of this stuff does to my concrete floor in the shed.

Volvo
07-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Little white plastic bottle of Ant Rid it may be called??, from the big green shed.
Find where they are comming in or few drops among em.
They will take it back to nest and problem fixed.
Always carry a small bottle in the Caravan as will Always have a visit by these little pests in some van Park or other and soon as I see their entry I squeeze a few drops among them and leave there.
Next day they are all gone!!. Works a treat.

scottar
07-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Oh no, not the tyres. The boss bought some moretein extra strong stuff, once sprayed I can't seem go get it off the tiles or walls easily, requires a lot of soap and scrubbing. With regards to tyres i would be a bit suss about spraying them, it might be just me, but I've seen what some of this stuff does to my concrete floor in the shed.

Some of it's not great on silicone either. Missus bought some from Aldi and when I sprayed it along the window sill of the kitchen bench, the silicone bead that sealed the bench to the window track curled up it's toes and died big time - instantaneously.

Dignity
07-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Little white plastic bottle of Ant Rid it may be called??, from the big green shed.
Find where they are comming in or few drops among em.
They will take it back to nest and problem fixed.
Always carry a small bottle in the Caravan as will Always have a visit by these little pests in some van Park or other and soon as I see their entry I squeeze a few drops among them and leave there.
Next day they are all gone!!. Works a treat.

Doesn't work on a lot of ants around my place unfortunately. The protein loving ants can be quite small, really tiny and they totally ignore ant rid, I have some invading light switches in the shed that cheese me off, every now and then turn the light on and zzzzz zzzzz , the buggers have gotten in again and i usully have to strip the switch, spray every where and wait for them to come back. To get rid of them I need to make a paste of peanut butter and boric acid (honey and boric acid is basically the same as an rid at a fraction of the cost), just can't get around to it. I do have a new product I want to try next time as a surface spray, I'm told even the Asian geckos don't like it.

Scalem
08-04-2018, 01:37 AM
Doesn't work on a lot of ants around my place unfortunately. The protein loving ants can be quite small, really tiny and they totally ignore ant rid, I have some invading light switches in the shed that cheese me off, every now and then turn the light on and zzzzz zzzzz , the buggers have gotten in again and i usully have to strip the switch, spray every where and wait for them to come back. To get rid of them I need to make a paste of peanut butter and boric acid (honey and boric acid is basically the same as an rid at a fraction of the cost), just can't get around to it. I do have a new product I want to try next time as a surface spray, I'm told even the Asian geckos don't like it.

Yep - I agree. The ant rid in the little bottle has been ignored, I bought ant rid baits - they are the plastic square ones with 4 entrances, designed to give them a feed and take them back to the queen. They are not interested, I placed them in 3 different locations throughout the boat and watched them over the next few hours. The ants must be vegetarian or something.

brett62
08-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Some of it's not great on silicone either. Missus bought some from Aldi and when I sprayed it along the window sill of the kitchen bench, the silicone bead that sealed the bench to the window track curled up it's toes and died big time - instantaneously.

Scott what is it called as I could use some of that ;D

Dignity
08-04-2018, 06:51 AM
Yep - I agree. The ant rid in the little bottle has been ignored, I bought ant rid baits - they are the plastic square ones with 4 entrances, designed to give them a feed and take them back to the queen. They are not interested, I placed them in 3 different locations throughout the boat and watched them over the next few hours. The ants must be vegetarian or something.

Vegan ants 😂😂,next time you open your peanut paste jar smear a bit somewhere and if they swarm to it you'll have your answer, I just don't have any in the cupboard and it never ends up on the shopping list.

Dignity
08-04-2018, 06:52 AM

Your asking Scott to reveal a trade secret here.

Chimo
08-04-2018, 08:07 AM
Use the same stuff that you use for termites.

Termidor or similar (fibrinol AI) termites don't notice it and hence avoid it and seems ants behave the same. They get it on their bodies and take it back to the nest and kill the queen which is what you want to do. Takes a little time but the result is worth it; a lot like foreplay!

scottar
08-04-2018, 08:38 AM

Can't remember off hand Brett. Only recall it was Aldi supplied. It would have been their own brand as such as it was a few years back begore they started stocking any name brand stuff.

mal555
08-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Tried most things, but Bayer Wasp and Ant Dust, follow instructions of course, stops them completely.

Giveitacrack
08-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Temprid 75. It is what the pro's use. A little expensive at around $70 for a litre but it will be enough for your boat and to do your whole house around 10 times with a 5 litre spraypack
My pest control guy put me onto it for a do it yourself . Apparently the ants go back to nest poisoning it...it also takes care of most other pests..

Scalem
09-04-2018, 09:39 PM
Dave Gray verdict? Knocks them dead for a few days.. then discovered today the little sh!ts found a new access ramp via the jockey wheel, up the wynch post and in. Hit them again, need another to try, I feel its only a matter of time and they'll do an Arnie.

brett62
10-04-2018, 07:04 AM
Dave Gray verdict? Knocks them dead for a few days.. then discovered today the little sh!ts found a new access ramp via the jockey wheel, up the wynch post and in. Hit them again, need another to try, I feel its only a matter of time and they'll do an Arnie.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app (http://Ausfish mobile app)

Feel the pain. I looked through the shed and I can't find what I used. May be if the wife looked she will find it as for some reason their eyes are much better. I am heading down to Bunnings to pick up some project materials and will get some more to have on hand. Once I see it on the shelf I will remember.