PDA

View Full Version : Safe Passage to Kooringal

ipswichfisher
25-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone

I am looking to take my family for an over nighter to Kooringal this Easter everything going well with the weather gods. I know from looking at some videos that the Rous Channel is used to access the anchorage. But i am not so sure about the best possible track in there. The boat is 31 foot and draws a metre of water and will be coming from the south. Any advice on the safest track in there would be appreciated.

soulfish
25-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Hi mate...I will probably be there at easter too..i will pm you a pic of track in with a few way points..best to have at least half a tide under you..i draw 450mm and would not contemplate it on a low tide..give me a couple of days ..cheers

ipswichfisher
25-03-2018, 08:23 PM
Hi mate...I will probably be there at easter too..i will pm you a pic of track in with a few way points..best to have at least half a tide under you..i draw 450mm and would not contemplate it on a low tide..give me a couple of days ..cheers

Thanks Soulfish. That would be awesome. I intended to follow the Nav screen and just keep a lookout and head in on the rising tide, but dont want to end the holiday early by getting stuck or doing some damage

Chimo
26-03-2018, 06:41 AM
Hi ipswichfisher

Have you checked out https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Boating-maps/Moreton-Bay-guides.aspx ?

Cheers
Chimo

soulfish
26-03-2018, 09:24 AM
you need to go in through black gutter...if you follow that map you will run aground unless its half tide or higher.
it is also a go slow which is a pain in the ass because sometimes you need to boot it to get higher out of water to get in and out

ipswichfisher
26-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Hi Chimo

Yeah i have got them copied out and have studied google nav aids also and it looks pretty sandy. So thats why i wanted some advice from anyone thats been in there.. I find the maps are pretty good, but preparation is my key to avoid too much anxiety. Thanks for the link