PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilds

Andy56
16-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Ok so the government and stockmarket have conspired to reduce my income so i have to lower my expectations, again.

I am now looking at older Haines hunters 16s and 17s. I dont like the transom layout and do any of them have under floor fuel tanks?. My mind is fixed on straightening the transom and modify for a 25" leg and possiblely a pod. Now i will probably be restricted to 60-90hp (probably old smoker too) so i figure maybe a jackplate will suffice instead of a pod.
Now at what weight figures does the bum look heavy? Is it still an issue if the transom is gunnel height?
Any owners or previous owners with info? Read all there is to read but that leaves more questions until i lay down the money and get quotes for the jobs.
What about a side console conversion? With good planning, it shouldn't ride on its side, no? The deepish V and concerns about being tippy would sway me against it. But i gotta ask the question.
The CC conversions look great too.

Noelm
17-03-2018, 04:14 AM
I guess you are talking about the "old" 16/17r? they are a pretty skinny boat and are often fitted with big motors, so, they all look stern heavy, even with a light 90 Yamaha 2 stroke they look down at the back, but, they go OK, can't say I have seen one with an underfloor tank from new, lots have them because the floor has been replaced. Rather than convert one to a centre console, just look for an original cc, you see them now and then.

Vromme
17-03-2018, 05:36 AM
Are you a member of Old School Haines Hunters on Facebook?
If not join up, there is a plethora of info and guys who have done just about everything to HH's. The 17's seem to go for a lot of $ comparatively even ones needing complete restoration.

You can also look at Sea Devils, though they also are premium $ even for older ones. Mind you the new CC Sea Devil looks sensational, but prob need $70k odd to get one kitted out.

If $ are a big concern Id be looking at other makes as well. May not have the same name (arguably a tad over hyped) but can get very decent boat when you compare costs.

rickmarlin62
17-03-2018, 07:45 AM
agree with vromme I have a 4.8 vsea 60ltr tank under well 90hp yammie 2st..sits well travels great lots on market at moment..more room than 16r wider more comfortable to fish in...19 deg deadrise reverse chines...far better boat for same size...but...im biased..luv my seafarer...rick

Andy56
17-03-2018, 08:04 AM
agree with vromme I have a 4.8 vsea 60ltr tank under well 90hp yammie 2st..sits well travels great lots on market at moment..more room than 16r wider more comfortable to fish in...19 deg deadrise reverse chines...far better boat for same size...but...im biased..luv my seafarer...rickThanks rickmartin62, but i just cant get my head over the looks on the vsea. And runabout style will suite my needs better. I may not be in the haines signature league anymore but man do i appreciate the freeboard.Thanks for the facebook reference, another one of those open secrets, lol.

Andy56
17-03-2018, 08:33 AM
I think one of the main issues with the bum heavy look is the location of fuel tank or lack there of. Locating a 60 ltre or more tank under floor further forward may be the trick. Of coarse that means a floor rebuild. And i get that the price range i am looking at may need a new floor.
i am open to suggestions on other makes but there isnt a lot of info to be had so i concentrated my search on HH and old HS boats. Lots of reasonable boats to be had for less than ten thousand dollars. Lots of junk too, lol. My total budget would be around $15,000-$20,000, including electronics and winch. Lots of very nice boats in the $15,000-$25,000 range but then you need to kit out and the price is then out of my range. We shall see, we shall see