PDA

View Full Version : Selling Haines Sig to get a Vindicator

jclay1773
15-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Who has a Vindicator plate boat or has been in one? Thinking of selling my 600f to get a 5.5m or 5.8m Half Cab. Anyone got any info on these boats?

Thanks, John

Volvo
16-01-2018, 07:55 AM
had i the $$ ide get one fer sure :)..

CT
16-01-2018, 01:12 PM
I'm intrigued as to why you're considering selling a bigger, likely smoother riding glass boat to go to a smaller platey. Aren't you going to be going backwards?

Watto79
16-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Unless they have improved considerably since I went for a ride in one, which was a considerable time ago I will admit.................keep the Haines!

jclay1773
16-01-2018, 06:55 PM
The 5.5 is 6m loa so as I understand it is the same size as the 600f. I understand that it might not ride as well but I can customise it to how I want, eg. fuel tank size, ski pole etc. And it should still be fine for offshore work, see plenty of plate boats out there.

Appreciate any more advice.

hungry6
16-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Got 2 mates who had them, and they both have since sold theirs, one word sum up the ride. BEAMY.

jclay1773
17-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the info. Vindicator is 2.45m. 600f is 2.43m. I know little about the make of a boat so can you explain exactly what BEAMY is. Thanks.

Watto79
18-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Yep, second that my experience was to put it bluntly scary!

Caught in a decent sea and it was a broaching machine, to the point where the guy that owned it had me to take the wheel while he hit the foetal position on the deck!!

Not saying it was all the boats fault but I have driven just a couple of boats in differing conditions and this and a JBS plate were there together on the bad end of the scale!

Watto79
18-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Why a vindicator, there are far better plate boats on the market in my opinion anyway?

jclay1773
18-01-2018, 07:07 PM
A mate has spent a heap of time in a 6.2. Rates it highly, much better than his 5.8 fisher. Obviously bigger boat though. What are the brands you would prefer?

Watto79
19-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Performance plate boats, AMM, Noble Super vee, Riptide they are a couple of the ones I have been in that were comfortable and I felt safe in and there are probably others but these ones spring to mind..

Surtee's although not a custom platey are pretty good too..

Watto79
19-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Rebel is another that I missed above..

Just my opinion of course as I said it was many years ago that I had my experience with a vindicator and a lot can change in that time!

Marchy001
19-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Not quite apples v apples but it might be of value to you.
I had a 5.8 Noble super v and now a 5.9m Seafarer. In winds over 15 knots the super v was a much nicer boat to be in however 10knots and under the Seafarer wins hands down. In good conditions the sportier feel of the Seafarer brings a big smile and in shite the sheer height of the bow in the super v along with the tank like construction was very confidence building.
Had 175 on them both and pull 5-6mph more out of the Seafarer.

hungry6
19-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Sorry for late reply, yes. The Vindicators were nice boat to fish from and had plenty of room for their size. But dont push the limit with them, Beamy is what a boat experience as pointed out by Watto79.
It's like understeer in a car, but the following wave is doing the dirty works and you're not in control.
Some people who owns boat don't realize their own boat bad characteristic. I pointed this out to one of my friend after a trip out of Fraser, initially he didn't like what I said, until he came out in mine and we had similar seas. It was an eye opener for him and consider himself to be an experienced boater.
I guess, you have to think about exactly what you want and the condition you fish in, if you dont go out if it blows up past 15knots, The Vindicator may be the right boat, but if you are one of those that calls a trip short notice, You probably be better catered for something like a Surtee or one of the other brand mentioned already.
Happy hunting...

Wayne

jclay1773
19-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info. All very helpful.

jclay1773
20-01-2018, 01:41 PM
Rebel is 16 degree dead rise. How do they ride?

ranmar850
20-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Seems to be a trend in plate boats in the last ten years or so to make as "big" a boat as you can for the length.Some of these things are near as wide as they are long. All the good design principles go out the door when you start doing this stuff--people want high freeboard, but they also want a self draining deck, so the COG gets high, which never helps in any situation. Then they want beam, for deck space,and "stability" ::) but that comes at a cost. You simply cannot design a good hull that has to transition from a nice entry to a wide beam over a short distance, as so many of these 5.5 metre boats seem to be trying to do. So you get a hard ride, and maybe also following sea issues as well. I certainly wouldn't be swapping a pretty good hull for a shorter platey, I think you will really regret it.

Fido
23-01-2018, 05:03 AM
I had a 6.2 Vindicator and it definitely did not broach, I had been in very rough conditions in it and always felt very safe and knew that I would get home in it. The boat was well built and very functional.

I bought a larger boat.

Lovey80
23-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Just buy a cat and get the stability, ride and huge deck space all in one.

Dantren
24-01-2018, 06:02 PM
No doubt the Vindicator will give you more deck space, even if you downsize a bit, but surely the narrower & heavier Haines will be a better performing sea hull.
What engines are you looking at?

jclay1773
24-01-2018, 06:19 PM
Fido I will send you a private message.

The Vindicator is slightly heavier. Looking at the Yam 150hp. Going for a run in the 5.8m soon.

Danstu
25-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Just went from a Seafarer Victory to a 7.1 Platey. The Victory wins hands down in the ride department. The new platey has the advantage of the bigger deck, bigger bow. Just got to get used to the different sounds the plate boat makes coming from the fibreglass boat. Go and have a look at Compass boats. I was very impressed with his build and rate them as good as a Riptide.

jclay1773
25-01-2018, 09:54 PM
Thanks. I have spoke to Ralph and also, Performance Plate and Rebel. Vindicator is big $$ for the boat. Trying to organise a run in a Performance Plate.

Watto79
29-01-2018, 03:49 PM
Sam at Performance plate is the go if your looking for value for money bud, good luck let me know how you get on..

Lucky_Phill
29-01-2018, 07:01 PM
A FYI on the " beamy " situation.

My 2000 model Pacific Sport Fish Super Vee 6.2 centre cab had this issue, not bad, but definitely there.

Finally fixed it with weight distribution. Seems she likes a heavy ass . :) We would place the eskies at the transom for our following sea run home and no broaching any more.

This can also be countered by trim. Too many people are not pro-active with their trim while traveling.

Always compare apples with apples.... hull mm's, deadrise, true length ( waterline ), max HP and also the Centre of Gravity by way of targa's etc, plays a role in their handling. And where the fuel tank is positioned.

There is no such thing as the perfect boat, only the perfect boat for you. :)

cheers LP

jclay1773
01-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Watto do you have a Performance Plate?

Thanks Lucky Phil. Regarding the fuel tank, I have noticed some at the back and some move it forward a bit. What is the best position?

Watto79
01-02-2018, 03:58 PM
No mate, just been out in a couple and a good mate of mine does the fit outs on them for Sam.

I own a seafarer victory myself.

If you want to go for a ride in one, get in touch with Sam he is a good bloke and I am sure he can organise a run in one for you.

SWANY22
01-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Must say been out in some cracker Plateys but seriously u won't get a better ride than fibreglass .
I own a 680 encore Haines!!
down fall deck space could be bigger
Been caught out in 20 plus That's when I realised why I own a Haines fibreglass 👍 Loved it
But must say mates Noosa cat
Is a weapon to in the puss .

hungry6
01-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Noosacat are nice big soft riding boats, but not everyone cup of tea. But awesome boat nontheless.

soulfish
02-02-2018, 05:53 AM
Seems to be a trend in plate boats in the last ten years or so to make as "big" a boat as you can for the length.Some of these things are near as wide as they are long. All the good design principles go out the door when you start doing this stuff--people want high freeboard, but they also want a self draining deck, so the COG gets high, which never helps in any situation. Then they want beam, for deck space,and "stability" ::) but that comes at a cost. You simply cannot design a good hull that has to transition from a nice entry to a wide beam over a short distance, as so many of these 5.5 metre boats seem to be trying to do. So you get a hard ride, and maybe also following sea issues as well. I certainly wouldn't be swapping a pretty good hull for a shorter platey, I think you will really regret it.

sounds like a 5.2 kevlacat would fit the bill nicely..light to tow..economical..twin engine for safety..self draining deck..superior ride and stability..huge deck..no waiting time for build..can customise to owners specifications...not plate but..for around 40k for one that needs a bit of loving to 80k for one that's had everything done already..it would be hard to go past..it would leave your current boat for dead in every aspect exept accomadation...
A lot of people buy plate so they can customise..ive never had a glass boat that I havnt been able to customise with a good fibreglasser....just my 2 bobs worth..everyone has different needs & wants I guess

Lovey80
02-02-2018, 11:55 PM
sounds like a 5.2 kevlacat would fit the bill nicely..light to tow..economical..twin engine for safety..self draining deck..superior ride and stability..huge deck..no waiting time for build..can customise to owners specifications...not plate but..for around 40k for one that needs a bit of loving to 80k for one that's had everything done already..it would be hard to go past..it would leave your current boat for dead in every aspect exept accomadation...
A lot of people buy plate so they can customise..ive never had a glass boat that I havnt been able to customise with a good fibreglasser....just my 2 bobs worth..everyone has different needs & wants I guess

And my 5.2 Kevlacat Black Marlin is going for sale very soon too!

BigE
03-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Or you could have Ali deck space and Glass ride and save some serious $$ over a ""name"" brand, dead set mate have a close look and a ride in a Yalta 2200 fisherman. Just been through this exercise and this was the best outcome for me. happy if you want come around and have a sticky beak.

just my thoughts.

BigE

BigE
03-02-2018, 11:32 AM
let me know if you want some deck measurements, really happy with the Suzuki as well.

BigE

Bremic
03-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Big E

I would be interested in the deck width between the pockets and the measurement from the transom to your eskies. Would you be able to sleep in the cabin?

Thanks in advance

BigE
03-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Hi Bremic

Have upgraded from the orange eskies (110ltr) in the picture to some new white 160ltr split lid eskies that are a treat.

From the eskies to the transom is 1900 and the width between the pockets is 1700 (feet fit nicely under the pockets) fishes 4 easy and 2 up it's a ballroom. Have slept 3 for two days in the cabin and there is a toilet in there as well.

added a pic with the cabin and new eskies.

BigE

BigE
03-02-2018, 06:21 PM
I'm on the nth side of bris if you want to have a look.

BigE

Bremic
03-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Thanks BigE. Those eskies look the goods.

I am on the Sunshine Coast, next time I am heading down I will check in and see if you are busy.

BigE
03-02-2018, 07:22 PM
I'm at D'Bay so just down the road.

BigE

jclay1773
04-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Thanks BigE. If I was going to go glass again I would either keep my Sig or get another Sig as it has been a great boat. I'm going plate just got to work out which one.

BigE
04-02-2018, 06:53 PM
no worries J

fish with a mate who has a 6.7 Bar Crusher (175 Suzuki) and it is pretty good for a plate boat , they like HP but cut the water nice for tin. really like the way it sits at rest the ballast tube work well but it is noisey at rest lots of sloushing sounds if it's joggley. not much of a cabin if thats important.

BigE