PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Locks

SCTSCT
21-12-2017, 08:54 PM
Is this a good lock to get and is it a good deal??

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171221/975b7b9d0316a37f7c293c4506ab3a57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tropicrows
21-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Only as good as the padlock you use. Seen them around the $24 mark.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Crocodile
22-12-2017, 06:31 AM
Hello SCTSCT,
that is what I have been using for the last 25 years or so and the boat is still here.

Remember, locks only keep the honest people out!
If the crims want your boat, car and stuff badly enough they will take it.

Dogs, surveillance cameras (or at least the stickers), 12 gauge shotgun are alternatives
Even parking another vehicle in front of the boat is a good idea.
It is all about making your stuff less attractive an easy so that the crims will be deterred and look for easier targets.

Moonlighter
22-12-2017, 08:59 AM
There are many like that one and you can get them for low $20 price range.

It is a pity that the original “locked-it” coupling locks are not available any more. I still use mine, they are made of HD hardened steel, much more sturdily built than the current ones, and use a really solid lock that is totally contained within the body of the coupling so there is no way it can be cut off with bolt cutters.

At the end if the day as others have said, they are just deterrents. If someone really wants to steal your trailer, they will. But if you make it significantly more difficult to steal yours than the next one along, then they might pick that one instead.

rayken1938
22-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Not much can protect you against a battery powered angle grinder if someone really wants your rig but a substantial lock may make them look elsewhere.No matter what you use a determined thief can beat coupling locks,wheel clamps amd chains.
Cheers
Ray.

ben475
22-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Not much can protect you against a battery powered angle grinder if someone really wants your rig but a substantial lock may make them look elsewhere.No matter what you use a determined thief can beat coupling locks,wheel clamps amd chains.
Cheers
Ray.Yep cordless grinder makes real quick work of locks.

I use one of those locks on my trailer when parked at the ramp ever since i heard of guys having their trailers knocked off.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Cape Crusader
22-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Also replace the pin that secures the tow hitch with a locking one, otherwise someone can just pull the split pin, slide out the pin and then slide it into their hitch receiver and away they go
Cheers
Rod

billfisher
23-12-2017, 12:11 PM
The lock is well protected on this type of coupling lock, so they are quite effective as far a they go. Portable grinders make a lot of noise, but thieves could just chain tow it or replace the coupling. It's best then to combine it with another measure like a wheel lock or chaining it to something solid. Also if you have made this sort of effort and it still gets stolen it might mean you have a lower insurance excess to pay.

PS: GPS tracking devices are worth consideration (pretty cheap too).

dnej
23-12-2017, 03:21 PM
It also helps if you back in, and make sure the trailer wheels are hard up on the kerb. Makes it very difficult to get the trailer out, with all the pressure on the tow ball. Also if they did, then getting it past your vehicle is another issue, especially if you are along side other vehicles.
Those type of locks , as stated make it hard to reach the padlock.
David

dnej
23-12-2017, 03:36 PM
https://www.kovixaustralia.com.au/product/ktr-18-alarmed-trailer-lock/

This one looks the goods. Try the link to a video.
David

SCTSCT
24-12-2017, 02:04 PM
https://www.kovixaustralia.com.au/product/ktr-18-alarmed-trailer-lock/

This one looks the goods. Try the link to a video.
David

Yes. Looks nice. But I cannot figure out if you can use it while trailered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCTSCT
15-01-2018, 01:34 PM
I was at a boat ramp carpark recently and I noticed that most people do not have locks on their trailer and trailer hitches.

NomadNoosa
15-01-2018, 07:31 PM
I know I am kidding myself but when I have locked my trailer up, only if I am going away for a few days, I push the safety chain through the hitch handle and padlock it to the holes in the towbar, not so tight that there is heaps of tension on the chain to give an angle grinder easy purchase but tight enough so the hitch handle wont lift and it can't slide out of the receiver. I also use a small padlock to try and keep the hitch handle locked down...........As I said I know I am kidding myself but it would be considered reasonable care and if it sends a would be thief to the trailer next to mine because its not locked then it has done its job.

Triple
15-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Check your insurance policy with what sort of security device you require also...

ovakil
21-01-2018, 09:28 AM
Bit off subject,buy if you came back to boat ramp and your trailer gone missing.
What would you do to get boat home ?

dnej
21-01-2018, 10:12 AM
A tilt tray would do it, but it could also do some damage if the bottom was not protected some how.
David

Moonlighter
21-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Bit off subject,buy if you came back to boat ramp and your trailer gone missing.
What would you do to get boat home ?

Depends where you are.

Many years ago i was fihsing with a mate, came back into Spinnaker boat ramp near Bribie, another boat pulled in beside us. Anyway to cut a long story short he soon realised that his trailer had been stolen.

He was lucky enough to find that the marina beside the ramp was open and arranged for them to retrieve his boat on their forklift and store it in their yard on blocks while he sorted things out with his insurance company. I dont know whether insurance picked up thetab for that or not - you would hope so!

Without access to a marina etc you would have to try to borrow a trailer from someone, or hope you could at least tie it up to a pontoon behind someones house, or otherwise get the boat to some kind of secure area or try the tilt tray option as mentioned baove, while sorting out something with insurance. Wouldnt be fun at all.

gunna
21-01-2018, 02:10 PM
There was a great story on here a number of years ago where someone came back to the ramp to find his car and trailer gone. Reported to the police then arranged for mate to bring a trailer to him. Mate said meet you the next ramp down river. Got there - Lo and behold - there is his car and trailer.
He had forgotten he used a different ramp to usual !!

stevej
21-01-2018, 03:20 PM
a trailer hitch is useless on its own as you can tow a trailer just with chains wrapped around tow ball (crims arnt really concerned with safety now are they)
can even use the safety chains and a shackle to dragg quite heavy boats away

most insurance companies want two forms of lock and a chain with padlock is not acceptable as a form of antitheft device

I use a shackle lock one of those bright yellow ones and a wheel clamp
boats are expensive good locks arnt in comparison