PDA

View Full Version : what have you hit

Nabba1
19-12-2017, 09:22 AM
As the title suggests, what have you hit in your boat? Comes from an incident i had yesterday. Nothing major, well for me anyway.

Cruising from the seaway to Palmy yesterday morning about 5am and then bang, boat stops rapidly as if the motor fell off. Put it in neutral straight away. Turn around and look, motor still going and seems fine.

Head down the back and see a 3m plus shark bent around the motor shaft and then float down tail first into the water. It must have hit the hull as the motor didn't lift up or anything. Poor bugger was probably just relaxing on the surface after breakfast then boom!!!

That's a first for me.

On the fishing front, pretty slow for me up until about 2pm, just a couple of missed mack's and a baby dollie. Then we found a heap of billy's in 35m NE of the seaway. I went 5-1-1 on lures from 2-4pm. Would have been nice to stick the hooks in a couple more...

GBC
19-12-2017, 09:33 AM
A sheet of ply at 25 kts one night slowed us up pretty quick. It took some getting off too. We ran down an unlit tinny in Hervey Bay years ago with the trawler. It was nowhere near as exciting for us as it was for them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tracker
19-12-2017, 09:47 AM
back in the 70s hit a shipping container at full noise,v19 haines 150 merc..
hull ok but bottom of merc cactus
Early 80s rounding big island at port stephens in a 23 sharkcat hit a bloody foam matress. Not a great deal of damage but some bruises from stopping so quick.::).

Dignity
19-12-2017, 10:16 AM
In the Brisbane River about 20 years ago was going along and all of a sudden the motor started revving but not going anywhere. It was OK at about 4 knots but after that would rev high again, thought I'd done the bush in the prop. A little later when I pulled over so I could safely lift the motor a piece of timber about 500mm long x 20mm thick x 150mm high was stuck between the transom and the motor, cleared that and everything fine.

littlejim
19-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Nothing as exciting as the above entries, just several metres of fishing line round the prop, the line belonged to the bloke on the launching ramp pier who didn't believe in winding in for the boats launching and retrieving.

tunaticer
19-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Bribie Island on a mill pond early morning about 2am.......not even a wash along the beach......found Skirmish Point.
Hit a reasonable sized croc up north many years ago.

PixieAU
19-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Coming into Scarborough ramp. Muddy, choppy water out front as usual and a turtle decides to surface in front of me. Heavy thump, likely the hull but maybe the skeg. Looked out the back but no sign of it. I thought they were smarter than that.

TheRealPoMo
19-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Freighter wake @ 28 knots.
20 hours skippering under my belt.
Apparently they go some distance after the ship passes....
15 year old boy was impressed. .."we got like 10 feet of air that time Dad..."
I replied with "yep" and needed a beer and a smoke.
I learned.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

NAGG
19-12-2017, 08:36 PM
My worst was a rock bar at 40km / hr ..... brand new 70 yammi
I went up & down this particular creek at Hinchinbrook island for several days & a dozen times on a previous trip ...... my plots were virtually straight over the top of each other - but on this day .... I was marginally to starboard & the tide was a little lower . when I hit this boulder square on it literally brought me to a stop & I was horrified to look around (I was not expecting to see a motor there ) aside from a chunk taken out of the leg , slightly bent prop ..... & a change of undies - the rest of the trip went on
Shipping containers - I've come close twice ..... the bastards are barely visible .

Chris

ben475
19-12-2017, 09:19 PM
This is a good topic!

It sure gives you a surprise if you hit something with a bit of speed up!

Hit plenty of stumps and fallen timber in creeks and lakes when i was growing up fishing and duck shooting.
Oneday in a tinny with the old man we got stuck on a big stump, reckon it took 40 mins to get off the bugger.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Jsmfun
19-12-2017, 09:41 PM
I was heading towards the south passage bar through the rouse channel at 4am in winter last year and hit I think a dugong at 25knts Came to a screeching hault . I checked the skeg and no damage only this really dense material so put the motor back down and started no prob then continued on

Bremic
20-12-2017, 06:27 AM
I have been fortunate enough to not run into anything...yet. I saw this photo recently, thought it was a bit freaky. Only really dangerous for the shark though.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7315628.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/A-deep-sea-fisherman-kills-tiger-shark-stuck-in-propeller-in-Florida.jpg

Crunchy
20-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Nothing as exciting as the above entries, just several metres of fishing line round the prop, the line belonged to the bloke on the launching ramp pier who didn't believe in winding in for the boats launching and retrieving.

LOL, yep on a low tide the channel out of Kedron Brook is only about 5M wide and you have to stay on the plane if you don't want to get stuck, sure by all means fish in the middle of that narrow channel if you want but don't cry like a little bitch if I come through and spool your reel cause your too lazy to wind it in!

GBC
20-12-2017, 01:44 PM
LOL, yep on a low tide the channel out of Kedron Brook is only about 5M wide and you have to stay on the plane if you don't want to get stuck, sure by all means fish in the middle of that narrow channel if you want but don't cry like a little bitch if I come through and spool your reel cause your too lazy to wind it in!
We've scored the odd dumbarse at the pontoon at 1770. They stare at you like it is a bet - bet accepted.

NAGG
20-12-2017, 05:23 PM
I was heading towards the south passage bar through the rouse channel at 4am in winter last year and hit I think a dugong at 25knts Came to a screeching hault . I checked the skeg and no damage only this really dense material so put the motor back down and started no prob then continued on

That reminded me of the time I hit a turtle on the way over to Hinchinbrook Island..... it blew out the prop and it turned what should have been another 20 mins into about 1.5 hrs. :( Had a spare with me though ..... don’t they make a bang when you hit one

chris

Noelm
20-12-2017, 06:32 PM
I ran into (or it ran into me) a Mutton bird one night, hit me right in the face.

scottar
20-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Sandbanks, rock bars, a turtle, a tree, a beacon (anchor pulled at night while having a snooze) ....did I mention sandbanks:P

PixieAU
21-12-2017, 05:48 AM
I ran into (or it ran into me) a Mutton bird one night, hit me right in the face.You've been quiet of late Noel

Barryl85
21-12-2017, 07:23 PM
My brother in law hit a whale in our old centre console just off Noosa at 25 knots. Ripped the two bottom engine mount bolts through the transom and killed the gearbox. 8k of repairs all up to boat and motor. Not sure how the whale faired.

Noelm
21-12-2017, 07:36 PM
You've been quiet of late Noel
Yeah, had a bit on, my son (well his wife) had twins at only 26 weeks, (only 600 grams) they were in intensive care at Canberra hospital for months, then transferred to Sydney, and finally home, between trips to Canberra and Sydney it has kept me pretty occupied, but they are going OK now.

Dignity
22-12-2017, 08:42 AM
My brother in law hit a whale in our old centre console just off Noosa at 25 knots. Ripped the two bottom engine mount bolts through the transom and killed the gearbox. 8k of repairs all up to boat and motor. Not sure how the whale faired.

We have come close ourselves off Fraser especially before dawn, you have to keep and eye out for the swell that's not moving the way other swells are, sleeping whales don't even move when you pass them by. Last trip out we found a few fast asleep at 8am in full daylight, at least easier to spot.

Marlin_Mike
24-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Ahhh, you're not a boatie unless you've hit a sand bank in Moreton bay at least once. ;D:o:angryfire:

Dignity
24-12-2017, 08:19 AM
At least I can say I did it with Dignity 😎

Lucky_Phill
24-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Yep, sandbank at WOT down the Goldie Broadwater. Managed to call up mate on VHF who towed me off, as tide was dropping.

In another boat that ran a sandbank... 30ft'er, so just waited until tide came in further, and off we went.

Managed to run square onto a post ( 4 x 4 ) and 2 meters long, that jammed between motor and transom on a 4mtr tinnie, midnight new moon, just about to cross a bar. No serious damage, except undies, of course.

Mate donged a Turtle in Moreton Bay that destroyed his skeg, prop and gearbox.

Picked up a plastic shopping bag in my little tinnie that actually set off the alarm. Completely wrapped up the water intake. , no damage.

And like GBC, have made contact with various boats at a certain boat ramp at 1770 :)

good subject :2thumbsup:

cheers LP

ovakil
25-12-2017, 07:11 AM
Ahhh, you're not a boatie unless you've hit a sand bank in Moreton bay at least once. ;D:o:angryfire:

Yep that's me.

catshark
25-12-2017, 07:56 PM
just skimmed a queen size bed frame once and also just missed a Sun fish once just under my boat , didnt know they were that big..scary

scottar
25-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Forgot to mention - as part of one high speed lack of displacement related incident in Day's Gutter in the pre speed restriction era, I hit a sea anemone. It left green marks on the lower unit paint that were still there when I sold the boat .........some 15 or so years later. Not sure what the hell is in them but it sticks way better than any outboard paint I have ever come across.:confused:

alleycat
26-12-2017, 12:36 AM
Hit a dugong at Donnybrook 2 years ago and multiple sand and mud banks, have you ever tried to come back from the Pin to Jacobs well in the dark?, so many lights and sometimes so little water, several years ago I was trying to head just north of the hanlon light at Peel island in the dark when I started seeing white under the boat, turned out to be reef and I had quite a push to find deeper water, also anybody trying to use the Nudgee Creek channel to the bay will hit the bottom heaps at low tide.

jackson4300
03-01-2018, 02:22 PM
We glanced off a whale off the goldcoast, breached in front of us and managed to get off the throttle and pretty much slide down its back, scary stuff....
Seen a bloke run into one of the markers at wellignton point, he ducked inside the cab and the boat went straight for the marker. He got back to the wheel fairly quick and didn't hang around to check any damage.

shaungonemad
03-01-2018, 06:18 PM
Crab pots, sand bars and I have crunched a few to many pontoon's.

TheRealAndy
03-01-2018, 08:57 PM

I call it running the gauntlet... "I think there is enough water there at the moment" as the outboard starts to complain. Rous channel, meh, we can cut that corner! Days gutter, there is enough water to get in there from the South Passage side....

I know the bay quite well, but I still manage to find them.

beaglebasher
18-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Been boating for over 20 years now. Hit a couple of sandbanks in my younger days but wised up.
A bit

Red October
19-01-2018, 02:12 PM
116688 A few of these nasties in the floods as well as whalesX2

rickmarlin62
01-02-2018, 04:02 PM
hit n killed a 6ft hammerhead in lake Macquarie two yrs ago no damage to boat..shark was stone motherless dead...had flying fish 40cm long hit me in the chest doing 30knots...ouch nice bruise..rick

BigE
03-02-2018, 11:55 AM
A 40 year old barmaid but I was young,drunk and horny and it was dark.

BigE

Billy C
05-02-2018, 06:41 PM
The reef on the north side of peel island. Heading straight into the sun about 6am one morning and couldn’t see the sounder properly. Ouch. About $3000 worth of damage to evinrude.

Crunchy
06-02-2018, 07:47 AM
The reef on the north side of peel island. Heading straight into the sun about 6am one morning and couldn’t see the sounder properly. Ouch. About $3000 worth of damage to evinrude.

Hmmm me too (I was lucky no damage), I thought people were just being freindly waving to me but no they were warning me about the reef, after that episode I bought a mapping GPS!

shaungonemad
06-02-2018, 04:25 PM

BigE

Um ok I think you missed the story line a bit lol.

myusernam
13-02-2018, 07:06 AM
Travelling by Yacht off Bali just before dawn only to realise there were hundereds of unlit sailing canoes laying out nets all around us. Picked up a rope on the keel and had to jump over in the pre dawn in 1500 ft of water and cut off.

Barracuda wrapped around gearbox causing Cavitation

upstart
19-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Was it in Creek 3, Missionary Bay?

tug_tellum
20-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Um ok I think you missed the story line a bit lol.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/metro/orange/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by BigE http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/metro/orange/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=1639811#post1639811)

BigE
I would really like to hear that story! So long as it was a barmaid and youre sure it wasnt a barman
tug

ThePinkPanther
02-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Doing a night rescue with VMR Victoria Point many years we hit and mortally wounded a dugong!

He was way, way out from where they normally are and as they swim along on or below the surface it's nigh on impossible seeing them sometimes, especially at night!

We followed the poor bugger into the shallows thinking if "we could save him" but he looked pretty bad so we all went back to Base really upset, demoralised and one of our lady crew members broke down and howled, that only made it worse for us!

I still like to think it looked worse than it actually was and he or she made it through the night!

ThePinkPanther
02-03-2018, 07:16 PM
You can pick a Boatie who uses Moreton Bay by his prop, always nice and shiny with the occasional dent or chunk missing!

No Excuses
10-10-2018, 03:06 AM
Not me but a mate cut the corner at inskip point in the old savage and beached her lol.

therapy
10-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Traveling behind Big Woody years ago in my old 17 foot Seajay, 50 HP tiller, and I hit a patch of rock WOT. Just a small patch and I was running where we just saw the ferry go through. Must have been just a little off course but I never locked the motor down again when going forward! Same trip, had a good arvo session catching Tailor and trevally at the wreck on the back of Fraser on chromies. Went back to Hervey Bay, picked up a couple of the boys and went to go back on the same course. Found out why it is called the Great SANDY Straights! Had to wait for 4 hours until we had some water to push it into the channel about 30 meters away! Learnt allot that trip!

TH..

ThePinkPanther
30-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Pretty well most every sandbank in Moreton Bay at some time or another!

You can always pick "experienced" Moreton Bay Boaties by their shiny props - like a right of passage or something ...........................

ozscott
30-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Doing a night rescue with VMR Victoria Point many years we hit and mortally wounded a dugong!

He was way, way out from where they normally are and as they swim along on or below the surface it's nigh on impossible seeing them sometimes, especially at night!

We followed the poor bugger into the shallows thinking if "we could save him" but he looked pretty bad so we all went back to Base really upset, demoralised and one of our lady crew members broke down and howled, that only made it worse for us!

I still like to think it looked worse than it actually was and he or she made it through the night!Nearly hit one the other day. They aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. I'm surprised they have lasted as a species. Sharks would easily take them out and they like surfacing right in front of a boat on the plane. Dodo's with fins. Pretty cute though and their call is lovely when the bay is quiet.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Watto79
31-10-2018, 10:37 AM
I am going to take a punt and say it has little to do with them lacking some grey matter but more the speed in which they move!

Coming up against a boat moving at 50 km/hr plus, they are a little under gunned..

Hence the go slow zones in known habitat areas that they frequent, least gives them a bit of a chance..

ozscott
31-10-2018, 10:59 AM
I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Having said that surely they can sense the direction of an oncoming boat from a long way off and do the maths. While dolphins are much quicker they appear to do all the relevant calcs. When I nearly hit one I had been on the plane with a 2 stroke on a straight bearing for about 200m before it suddenly surfaced right in front of me.
Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Watto79
31-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Yeh cool, sort of gathered that bud.

No idea, possibly but you would need to ask a marine biologist what their senses and possibly hearing are like..maybe poor compared to that of a dolphin..

Dolphins are a different beast for sure, they swim at lightning speed and certainly appear to have the necessary skills to stay out of harms way..

TomTom22
23-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Few years ago was attending a bucks party out on the Condamine river, my mates outboard had stopped working so he asked if he could borrow mine. no problem. load the 7hp honda on his little punt and off him and a few lads went to check some lines. about 40min later they come back around the bend in the river using an esky lid as a paddle. turns out the leg on my motor was a bit longer then his and hit a submerged tree that he had run over at least 10 times the past couple of days. knocked the motor up off the transom and into about 4m of water, which apparently took a few dives to get back. but we put it on the tail gate of the ute and dropped the oil and gave the carby a clean and everything a good spray of WD-40, new oil and fresh fuel and it was back on and running better then before. i think he thought i wanted to choke him but it was pretty hard to be angry when there was a young lady who seemed to of lost her clothes bringing me cold beers the whole time.