PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever welded there propeller?

gazza2006au
03-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Mine is bent around the edges I'm thinking about hammering it back to shape and welding any cracks or chunks but I'm not 100% set on the idea yet because of the rubber bushing and the heat

has anyone done this if so did u use a MIG or TIG or even oxy?

Marchy001
03-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Stainless doesn’t transfer heat that well so I don’t expect the bush to be a issue.

But Solas do bloody good work and It’s so much less stress than messing it up. I had a 4 blade fixed that looked like it spent 12 months as a wheel on a mine truck. Was only $140 from memory and I was dead set convinced they swapped it for a new one it looked that good. I dropped another couple up there last week for the same treatment and am confident they will be like new.

scottar
03-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Making the assumption this is off the 30 Merc and is probably an alloy prop, it depends how bent. If it's too bad you will probably just snap the blades. Worst case scenario $150 for a new one or less for a good second hand one - which if the old ones banged up would possibly be a better idea anyway. If you get the old one out of balance (which without the right gear there would be a pretty good chance of IMO) you run the risk of causing bigger issues

Steeler
04-10-2017, 12:14 AM
Just grab a new Solas from the states. Grab 2 for the price of 1 local and then you will have a spare..

Moonlighter
04-10-2017, 12:16 PM
These guys at Southport have been around for a long time and do great work, I have had several refurbished by them and they come back like new. Many mates had the same experiences. Lots of dealers send props to them for repairs and adjustments.

http://www.propellerrepairsaustralia.com.au/

gazza2006au
04-10-2017, 01:13 PM
Here's the prop the old owner done the damage he must have left the motor down coming up the ramp or reversing down but i have also forgot it as well in the drive way but nothing has bent on me just a bit of dirt on the prop

my prop is a 9.9x13 i think will have to check again, i was looking at going with a new prop if this one is to much to repair, i asked about the prop a few months ago i was looking at a 10x10 prop they are often used on life rescue boats in this size

such a shame looked as if it was a brand new propeller too

i have a mig spool gun and now a AC tig welder so if u guys thought it was repairable i was thinking of giving it a go