PDA

View Full Version : Self leveling trim tabs

copie
19-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Hi all just wondering if anyone has either Bennett or Nauticus self leveling trim tabs and if so do they do the job ok. both available from our local Brisbane boating chandlers and the online videos etc. appear to be convincing.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=135&item=36564&intAbsolutePage=

Mark

scottar
19-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Don't have them but from all the research I did they do work if you're simply after transom lift at lower speeds. If your rig has trim and tilt though, personally I think something like a permatrim gives a lot more flexibility as you have some control over the amount of lift at the touch of a button

ozynorts
20-09-2017, 07:42 AM
I had the Nauticus ones for a while. As scottar says they are ok if all you are looking for is some transom lift but because they are not adjustable on the move they are very limited. I removed mine after the the top of the rams rusted out and I would have had to buy new rams to fix the issue. They didn't last 2 years......

inveratta
20-09-2017, 07:52 AM
I fitted a set to an old haines 565l with a sterndrive with a permatrim.....Having replaced the sterndrive I left them on (nauticus). I thought they were pretty flimsy and well ..plastic..but they have done years..maybe 5-6 and are still functioning.They work just fine..but.....

They take more than a few seconds to fit...and its important too that you follow the guide to arriving at the right spring tension setting for your boat..

The one real difference between a permatrim and these that I could find is that the permatrim provides lift at the centre of the hull...and on a deep V boat that seems to accentuate lean in some conditions..these tabs being on the outer part of the hull seem to automatically neutralise lean almost to point where I havent noticed it at all.

They seem to suit my application which is round the coastal waters in Bass Strait ..Welshpool etc but I suppose they are not the Rolls Royce of trim tabs and that is reflected in price/value decision.