PDA

View Full Version : outboard vs inboard/outboard

Funchy
31-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Interested to hear you lots thoughts on outboards versus inboard outboard motors. Are they better on bigger boats vs small? Hole-shot performance. Maintenance etc

I am just curios in a broad sense. with no particular boat in mind.

Thanks in advance for your contribution

Noelm
31-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Much smoother in a big boat, same as a car to fix, but, you have an engine in the boat, plus a leg as well, and they tend to be pretty high in maintenance cost and time, outboard for me, unless it's a big shaft drive diesel.

Andy56
31-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Maintenace costs and too many fire stories for my liking. Inboards take up a lot of room in small boats. If you have a big boat and the money, sure an inboard would be ok.

ozynorts
31-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Inboards are cheaper to buy though than an outboard especially as the hp goes up.

Crunchy
31-08-2017, 02:58 PM
After watching my mate burst into tears every time he filled up his twin v8 petrol mercruisers if I was going to have inboards I would want diesel

Vromme
31-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Some larger trailer boats handle better with the more centralised weight of inboards.
But at higher costs, loss of deck space and not as good name for reliability people tend to convert them to outboard boats. Dont think too many people convert the other way.

TheRealPoMo
31-08-2017, 05:00 PM
I reckon the boat looks better...yeah I know....
I have an American "lake boat" so it sort of fits the theme.
Plus I love having an old school engine to play with now that my cars are all super high tech. Would have loved a chevy V8 like some of my old cars but had to settle for a V6. At least it has a Holley.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

brett62
31-08-2017, 06:00 PM
The old outboard vs inboard, had both like many and all come with good and not so good points. The big bang theory of inboards is still alive and kicking and the old carburetor motors would be probably the highest risk in my opinion. The fuel injected motors are pretty safe these days and if installed correctly helps also. I certainly found the fuel burn better and also the toque with the inboards but the four stoke outboards do very well if you see some of the figures thrown around by those who have them. Outboards are easier to work on where inboards can be a little hard if the engine bay is small. You do lose some deck space but I use this area for a bait board and also as a seat so you can work around the the issue. Certainly better if you need to do some repairs on the water with the motor right where you want it. I have found the parts for inboards are easy to get and the cost is not that bad considering everything marine is dear anyway. The boat I have now is the first inboard vessel I have owned and toke sometime working out if I really wanted to go down that road until I went for a run and all concerns were gone. Its only 7 m and having the weight forward and low really gives the boat a nice ride. I also found it to be quieter than the screaming 2 strokes I always had, I am sure the 4 strokes are much better in that department now. Your drive on a inboard can be a very expensive item if you don't treat them well and service regularly costing just as much as a rebuilt motor if you really stuff up. I think it really comes down to what the boat designer has designed the hull for and some have changed from inboard to out board and sure those that have made the change would say its the best thing they have done. Someone said you don't see people going from outboard to inboard and they must be correct cause I haven't heard of it either but one reason would be its a hell of lot more work going the other way having to install engine beds and such.

Flex
01-09-2017, 05:16 AM
owning an inboard is like the guy in the 4x4 down the beach with an engine swap/mod. Always broken down and needing help:)

TheRealAndy
01-09-2017, 07:57 AM
All depends on if you are talking about inboards with legs (ie mercruiser) or inboards with prop shafts...

Biggest seller for me is how easy it is to maintain an outboard, plus it leaves more room in the boat. Also inboard legs are known for there problems, although I have been told the modern versions are much better.

Noelm
01-09-2017, 09:01 AM
True, modern stern drives are much better than the "old" ones, but are still pretty troublesome, add to that most are on moored boats, so that makes maintenance a major issue.

inveratta
01-09-2017, 12:05 PM
happiest day of my boating life when the inboard went out and the outboard put on...There are some good parts to owning an inboard ..just as long as its someone else!!

TheRealPoMo
01-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Interesting that if all outboards are so reliable, why all the threads about how Honda/Merc/Yamaha/Etec are so much better than Honda/Merc/Yamaha/Etec?
I'll get me coat...

brett62
01-09-2017, 07:28 PM
happiest day of my boating life when the inboard went out and the outboard put on...There are some good parts to owning an inboard ..just as long as its someone else!!

I can say the same about a couple of outboards I have had also. Engines in general be it out board or inboard or the lawn mover can really test ones sanity when they start to give problems, Some engines just need to be retired instead of trying to keep them going. Sounds like you had a problem child.

inveratta
04-09-2017, 07:45 AM
I can say the same about a couple of outboards I have had also. Engines in general be it out board or inboard or the lawn mover can really test ones sanity when they start to give problems, Some engines just need to be retired instead of trying to keep them going. Sounds like you had a problem child.

yes I had a 485 merc (which was a frankenstein motor design....a ford head...merc block etc etc) ....never had much faith in the motor despite a total rebuild.....sure enough the camshaft seals were incorrectly installed and the conrods were put back the wrong way ..all by a professional engine shop. ...the exhaust flapper valve never seemed to last long and there was a lot of small issues that just take time to resolve...and then with an outboard no worrying about the large hole in stern with a perishable rubber seal holding the sea out...or the carburettor in the hull..

Last three years ..1 reasonably priced annual service and no downtime at all...for me no contest...

brett62
04-09-2017, 07:15 PM
yes I had a 485 merc (which was a frankenstein motor design....a ford head...merc block etc etc) ....never had much faith in the motor despite a total rebuild.....sure enough the camshaft seals were incorrectly installed and the conrods were put back the wrong way ..all by a professional engine shop. ...the exhaust flapper valve never seemed to last long and there was a lot of small issues that just take time to resolve...and then with an outboard no worrying about the large hole in stern with a perishable rubber seal holding the sea out...or the carburettor in the hull..

Last three years ..1 reasonably priced annual service and no downtime at all...for me no contest...

Sounds like you certainly got a bad one and I would certainly be pissed at the rebuild people. All I can say that the inboards today are a far cry from yesteryear and come to think about it the outboards around now are far more advanced then 20 years ago. I wouldn't go for a old stern drive again either and I certainly wouldn't buy a second hand boat with one in it unless the owner was willing to have it fully removed so you can do a full inspection. That is one good thing about outboards, you can see issues easier.

inveratta
04-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Exactly......I am not trying to say that all inboards are that bad..this was just my experience...I started life as a boy with a seagull silver century ..and there is not enough bandwidth available to fully cover just how difficult that outboard was....but modern outboards well maintained..are simply so good.

juggernaut
04-09-2017, 08:59 PM
I like the idea of a single 1750 hp merc stern drive - saves having to line the transom with 4 x 400hp outboards ;D
http://www.mercuryracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/MR_1750hp_800.png

swof63
05-09-2017, 04:54 PM
I like the idea of a single 1750 hp merc stern drive - saves having to line the transom with 4 x 400hp outboards ;D
http://www.mercuryracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/MR_1750hp_800.png

Cool motor probably more than I need.
Race fuel may be a pain and the 20hrs between rebuilds would wear a bit thin after a little while I reckon............

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

TheRealPoMo
05-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Yeah but at 80 knots 20 hours is a long way...oh wait...I'd run out of fuel before I cleared the Scarborough channel.

juggernaut
05-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Cool motor probably more than I need.
Race fuel may be a pain and the 20hrs between rebuilds would wear a bit thin after a little while I reckon............

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

You'd be happier with the 1350hp consumer version then .....200 hours between refresh and runs on 98 fuel 8-)