PDA

View Full Version : Drifter boat wash

Dirtyfuzz
29-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Have I stuffed the surface, I had a lot of little rust stains on the bow top deck and hit it with drifter, hosed it off and have noticed a week later all the rust stains have gone black and looks bloody terrible, I tried scrubbing them but to no avail.
What's the go?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Seahorse
29-08-2017, 03:43 PM
U tried cutting?

Shark Poker
29-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Septone Drifter?

Dirtyfuzz
29-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Yeah mate septone drifter, havn't tried cutting it yet, its all over the fibreglass non slip so will be a pain in the ass

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Shark Poker
29-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Just my opinion, but I have had really good results with it for rust removal, but it takes a few hours.
I have done things like leaving the wet rag that applied the (watered down) solution on top of the treated are, overnight.
Cheers, SP

Noelm
29-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Is drifter some sort of acid base? some acids turn rust black ( like rust converter does) bleach might help.

552Evo
29-08-2017, 05:02 PM
What were the stains caused by on the fibreglass deck ? Was there any metal being cut (i.e. Metal filings) previously ?
I had a similar issue on fibreglass non slip deck, I used Jiff, a hard bristled brush and sweat to clean it up.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Dirtyfuzz
29-08-2017, 05:51 PM
It is acid based Noelm so I think you are on the money, Evo they are metal filings from the old man grinding, might just have to give it a bit more elbow grease and see how it comes up

Noelm
29-08-2017, 05:56 PM
I have used Jiff to clean non slip as well, but don't use it on a shiny surface because it is abrasive.

Swanie1975
29-08-2017, 06:16 PM
If they were still hot (as most grinding slag is) then you might find they are quite embedded in to the surface, hope the old fella didn't spray any glass cos it will be stuffed now. Try a magnifying glass to see if there are little bits of metal in the rust stain or else the rust marks will just return.

Dirtyfuzz
30-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Bit of an update, I sprayed an orange based must be a citric acid type cleaner over the affected area and let it sit for an hr and hosed off, just checked it this morning and it's all back to normal so happy days!
Thanks all for advice

Seahorse
30-08-2017, 05:06 PM
What is the orange cleaner u used.
Just handy to know

cheers
greg

Dirtyfuzz
30-08-2017, 05:59 PM
What is the orange cleaner u used.
Just handy to know

cheers
greg

called orange agent got it from autobahn

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

scottar
30-08-2017, 07:17 PM
We use Drifter on the tugs as a rust rinse - pretty much have to use it straight with added elbow grease if you want a quick result and even then on stuborn staining it might take a few applications of 5-10 minutes in duration for it to work. You do need to be a bit careful as if you leave it too long I have seen it etch the two pack - not sure if the same will happen to gelcoat