PDA

View Full Version : Paint an alloy boat

timddo
14-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Guys

In the process of repainting a boat white, I have been told to use Multi-gard Etch white and Multi-GardŽ GP 48AU is an aliphatic acrylicpolyurethane

Am i on the righ track?

Noelm
14-08-2017, 09:42 AM
I don't know, but those last two words seem like some sort of disease that require strong antibiotics!!

tug_tellum
14-08-2017, 04:17 PM
I'm with you Noel. A double dose of penacillan is required before they drop off.

Seahorse
14-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Sand it, clean up any corrosion, etch prime and top coat in 2 pack.

nothing to hard.

I dont know the stuff u are talking about.

Just allow enough time for etch to dry. 2 coats of white. White size tinnie?

Jason Green
14-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Truthfully imho if it's a alloy fishing boat it's going to get knocked around jetties lures gaffs fish stone chips so bugger the paint it's just another hassle to worry about really

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

timddo
15-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Sand it, clean up any corrosion, etch prime and top coat in 2 pack.

nothing to hard.

I dont know the stuff u are talking about.

Just allow enough time for etch to dry. 2 coats of white. White size tinnie?

Greg it's a 5.5 meter boat.

Noelm
15-08-2017, 09:53 AM
I guess what it all amounts to is, the current state of the boat, is it painted already? are you going to remove all the existing paint? will it be sand blasted? when I had my old cat done, I got some professional blasters to remove the old paint, got it etch primed with the best product I could buy, then painted by a panel beater, that was more than 20 years ago, and I still see the boat around now, and the paint is still great! So, I think the initial preparation, then the etch primer are the key, the primer I used was a kind of yellow green colour, and supposedly also used on aircraft.

timddo
15-08-2017, 01:30 PM
as the paint is very good, i was intending on sanding the boat down and etch priming the whole boat, then paint it

Noelm
15-08-2017, 04:14 PM
If the existing paint is still good, I don't think there is a need for etch primer, I am no spray painter, but I am pretty sure you etch prime new unpainted, not previously painted?

Swanie1975
15-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Ay where you have to sand back to metal will need etching, otherwise if the existing paint is sound then sand it and paint over. Preparation is as always the key to a good long lasting job

Seahorse
15-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Even if paint is good, u still need to sand it. U will definately rub through so best idea is just etch prime the lot. Just a good auto etch is fine. 2 pack white over that. I would do it in a colour called madahorn white or even a Toyota white. As long as it has a bit of yellow and black in colour to take out the bright white.
Iam in the game so just pm me if u want product.

toddo1
13-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Only really need etch primer if bare, but doesn't hurt if painted! Sand him up nice and just put a 2 PAC over it! If your going white defianlty put a bit of tint in it to take it away from that stark white and helps with glare! Anyway that's what I done with my boat 3 years ago and still looks brand new!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk