PDA

View Full Version : anyone know of any cheap but good 4500kg tow vehicles? please post or pm

myusernam
05-08-2017, 08:28 PM
anyone know of any cheap but good 4500kg tow vehicles? please post or pm
reckon i can spend 10k - stretch 15.

soulfish
06-08-2017, 06:04 AM
Mate Shane C on here I'm pretty sure is about to put his Ftruck up for sale...its a good tug apparently hasn't let him down towing up & down the coast...not sure on price but flick him a message..cheers

ric
06-08-2017, 08:10 AM
What boat did you end up with mate?

ShaneC
06-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Thanks Jase...

Yes it is true, I am unloading mine. Dont know what your idea of cheap is but happy to negotiate.

1998 F250 7.3TD V8. 2wd single cab.
315000km
4.5t towbar with 4600kg towing capacity (but you'll need air brakes for the extra 100kg)
Tekonsha electric brake unit
Water pump, vacuum pump and ac compressor replaced six months ago.
Could probably do with a new set of tyres but would pass rwc.
Oil and filters replaced every 7500km since I have had it since 2010 and 150000km ago.
Has never let me down in a big way, did have to turn around once on a fishing trip due to a rooted alternator but otherwise its just been minir stuff which is part and parcel of an older car that has done a bit of work.
Its only a 2wd so whilst great for towing you wont get far up the beach.

I have a price in mind but thats best discussed by PM as I am going to polish her up, get her detailed and chuck some new tyres on prior to putting it on the market proper, but that cost and time will be reflected in the asking price. Happy to negotiate something as it is.... I am in no hurry to sell although I have made an offer on a new one. Only upgrading to get a fourby so I can go up the beach....

Shane

Back In Black
06-08-2017, 05:09 PM
If Shane doesn't come to the party, I hear there is a dodgy white one running around "Upper Caboolture" that is negotiable..........;D;D;D;D

myusernam
06-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Thanks Jase...

Yes it is true, I am unloading mine. Dont know what your idea of cheap is but happy to negotiate.

315000km
4.5t towbar with 4600kg towing capacity (but you'll need air brakes for the extra 100kg)
Oil and filters replaced every 7500km since I have had it since 2010 and 150000km ago.
Has never let me down in a big way, did have to turn around once on a fishing trip due to a rooted alternator but otherwise its just been minir stuff which is part and parcel of an older car that has done a bit of work.

I have a price in mind but thats best discussed by PM as I am going to polish her up, get her detailed and chuck some new tyres on prior to putting it on the market proper, but that cost and time will be reflected in the asking price. Happy to negotiate something as it is.... I am in no hurry to sell although I have made an offer on a new one. Only upgrading to get a fourby so I can go up the beach....

Shane
Hi shane, wot price without tarting?
V8 diesel or petrol?
Moving quick so please let me know

myusernam
06-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Thanks Jase...

315000km

Shane
Sorry that was meant to be a pm! On mobile with a few wines in me! Can u pm me the price? Ric don't want to say till it's mine proper, then I can post

Dignity
06-08-2017, 07:30 PM
If Shane doesn't come to the party, I hear there is a dodgy white one running around "Upper Caboolture" that is negotiable..........;D;D;D;D

Your not suggesting Rob would part with his chevvy

Back In Black
06-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Your not suggesting Rob would part with his chevvy

Dignity, you saying Robs is dodgy??

Soulfish & Bannana have already knocked 50K off Moejoes, so don't you go starting rumours about Robs Chevvy;D;D;D

Dignity
07-08-2017, 07:31 AM
Dignity, you saying Robs is dodgy??

Soulfish & Bannana have already knocked 50K off Moejoes, so don't you go starting rumours about Robs Chevvy;D;D;D
It's depreciating at $140/week, he'll need to upgrade soon, after all with new motors, new tew vehicle followed by new boat it will be like my old grandfather's axe, still the best around. I've only replaced the handle 9 times and the head twice but it's still as good as the day he bought it. 😉😉😉

myusernam
07-08-2017, 10:27 AM
I have spoken to an engineer and the best option for me is to get a canter or similar downrated (if not allready) to 4500 GVM and the GCM uprated (he says even if he has to uprate the GCM then downrate the GVM the following day it's all easy). So there a few 4wd canters but i have found a low klm 2wd dual cab dual wheel one. Do you think the 2wd is an issue remnoving the boat (always over four ton) with a faily low 2wd first gear dual wheels, low pressure, and some weight over the axle will it be ok or should i really only look at 4wd only with the benifit of low range also??

ozynorts
07-08-2017, 11:19 AM
I have driven a few different makes of trucks in the size you are suggesting and the Canter is a gutless wonder...... If you are going to get a truck in that size look at either Hino, Isuzu or UD.

Noelm
07-08-2017, 11:23 AM
I towed my old cat for years with an old F250 dual wheel, 2 wheel drive, the actual towing was a breeze, as was pulling the boat out of the ramp, BUT, at low tide, on a slippery ramp, traction certainly was an issue! don't know how you would go if you added some weight in the back if you knew you were coming back in at low tide? if the ramp is not slippery, then getting it out is easy, 1st gear is so low in "trucks" it's almost like low range in a 4X4.

Chimo
07-08-2017, 04:24 PM
How this with built in wash down ability?

https://www.truckworld.com.au/buy/used/truck/isuzu/nps-300-4x4/water-truck/163863.aspx

or this
https://www.truckworld.com.au/buy/used/truck/mitsubishi-fuso/canter-fg649-4x4/table---tray-top/163645.aspx (https://www.truckworld.com.au/buy/used/truck/isuzu/nps-300-4x4/water-truck/163863.aspx)

Might need to up your spend to get something worthwhile

ShaneC
07-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Piece of puss pulling it out of the water... use the boat to help it.

Dunno how everyone has always managed before now...

myusernam
10-08-2017, 06:06 AM
How this with built in wash down ability?

https://www.truckworld.com.au/buy/used/truck/isuzu/nps-300-4x4/water-truck/163863.aspx

or this
(https://www.truckworld.com.au/buy/used/truck/isuzu/nps-300-4x4/water-truck/163863.aspx)https://www.truckworld.com.au/buy/used/truck/mitsubishi-fuso/canter-fg649-4x4/table---tray-top/163645.aspx

Might need to up your spend to get something worthwhile

nah. current thinking is to go as cheap as possible. Towing only around town. but can get an ex fire canter with hardly any k's on it for approx 15k. (even dealers have them for around this) was going to get a dual cab but i'm worried about the length of the whole show
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/upwey/trucks/mitsubishi-canter-93/1153324495
was super keen on this one but a bit far. non turbo. still might. body is awesome but would be a slight pain (just want some 44's there)
or this one is a turbo

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coolah/cars-vans-utes/mitsubishi-canter-4wd-tipper/1142847649

there was just a 4x4 single cab sold in armidale for 5900... i doubt ill be stressing it driving around town at 50kmh or less. found a different truck that would pass roadworthy for 5k but it's gvm was too high. the trick is to get a canter or NPR or one of those other trucks that has the factory option of a downgradeable GVM to a car license (so you don't need the truck license or the $2000 plus rego) and they have the GCM (sometimes with no mod plate or easily added according to the automotive engineer) to tow over 4500kg which is max anyway.
Current favourite if i'm spending more is an ex fire truck turbo 4wd with large water tank and diesel firepump which would be great for washdown and getting around the water restrictions here! 2 inch hose. Also has tray for 44's and some large tool storage area.
Have already bought a diesel transfer pump so it will also serve as the refueller.
set on the light truck. far less rego being a four cylinder, far cheaper, handier, heaps of parts and less getting pushed around by the load factor than an f truck

ric
10-08-2017, 11:23 AM
nah. current thinking is to go as cheap as possible. Towing only around town. but can get an ex fire canter with hardly any k's on it for approx 15k. (even dealers have them for around this) was going to get a dual cab but i'm worried about the length of the whole show
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/upwey/trucks/mitsubishi-canter-93/1153324495
was super keen on this one but a bit far. non turbo. still might. body is awesome but would be a slight pain (just want some 44's there)
or this one is a turbo

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coolah/cars-vans-utes/mitsubishi-canter-4wd-tipper/1142847649

there was just a 4x4 single cab sold in armidale for 5900... i doubt ill be stressing it driving around town at 50kmh or less. found a different truck that would pass roadworthy for 5k but it's gvm was too high. the trick is to get a canter or NPR or one of those other trucks that has the factory option of a downgradeable GVM to a car license (so you don't need the truck license or the $2000 plus rego) and they have the GCM (sometimes with no mod plate or easily added according to the automotive engineer) to tow over 4500kg which is max anyway.
Current favourite if i'm spending more is an ex fire truck turbo 4wd with large water tank and diesel firepump which would be great for washdown and getting around the water restrictions here! 2 inch hose. Also has tray for 44's and some large tool storage area.
Have already bought a diesel transfer pump so it will also serve as the refueller.
set on the light truck. far less rego being a four cylinder, far cheaper, handier, heaps of parts and less getting pushed around by the load factor than an f truck

I'd be bloody surprised if they engineered a Lt for 4.5t Towing off the tow bar
I think you'll find no one will do it.

If they downrate the truck it won't upgrade the towbar Towing rating.

myusernam
10-08-2017, 02:59 PM
I'd be bloody surprised if they engineered a Lt for 4.5t Towing off the tow bar
I think you'll find no one will do it.

If they downrate the truck it won't upgrade the towbar Towing rating.

Check out the canter specs on the website (canter just one of class) GVM 6000/gcm 10000. with the factory option of downgradeable gvm to 4500 for car license. but vehicle built for GCM 10000. 10000 - 4500 = 6.5 t

vehicle engineer says easy/ formality because of 10000 gcm.

Skusto
10-08-2017, 03:40 PM
GVM minus GCM is not your max towing limit! Towing limit is its own entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

myusernam
10-08-2017, 04:50 PM
vehicle reclassification engineer says easy so i believe him.
i think manufacturers recommended max tow limit might be 3500kg. he is providing me a mod plate (and charging me a fee - few hunge) same as if i put different engine in a vehicleor make it a 6 wheeler etc. Authorised Queensland transport vehicle modification engineer. But i think it is because the vehicle is rated to that GCM that it is just a formality/ reclass. no physical mods required (i.e. brakes are up to it etc)

ericcs
10-08-2017, 07:34 PM
we had a dual cab 2wd canter as a lightweight fire truck at work. think it was a 3.5l non turbo and it was ridiculously under powered, so it was fitted with an after market turbo later. make sure if you get one of these, that it's turbo'd!

ric
10-08-2017, 10:08 PM
GVM minus GCM is not your max towing limit! Towing limit is its own entity.

100% correct!
Most engineer mod plate shops can downrate your gvm. Your manufacturer specified Towing capacory of 3500kg can't be changed. Not to mention you won't find a 4.5t rated towbar AND certified for that vehicle make.
If you could simply downrate your gvm to increase you Towing mass there would be lots of vehicles running around with 4 ton trailers being pulled by 2 ton Utes (v scary!)

Sorry if I sound negative myusernam but I've been through it. If I was in your case I'd probably buy an old 6 cylinder cruiser Ute and sneak it down to the ramp and back.

myusernam
10-08-2017, 10:15 PM
I'll ring another one to confirm.

myusernam
11-08-2017, 05:39 AM
U can go six wheeler - in absense of manufactures max tow u can tow 1.5 times the GVM. (6 wheelers have secondary manufacturers plate).

Australia’s National Towing Regulations, which apply to any vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) of less than 4.5 tonnes, limit the mass of any trailer to the vehicle manufacturer’s towing recommendations or the capacity of the towing equipment fitted to the vehicle, whichever is least.

So I guess he changes max tow while over 4.5 gvm then changes gvm to 4.5. dunno. All I know says he will and I will hopefully have nice shiny mod plates there to prove. I'll post all the details up if successful
plenty of places do 5ton towbars or custom. Engineer can certify these too

giddyup58
20-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Series 1 Land Rover discovery's are rated to tow 4,500kg (5 seater only, not the 7 seater).
I picked up a manual diesel '98 Disco (cheap to buy, cheap to run and 4 cylinder rego)
We use it as the "spare" family car.
So bugger all invested, are actually quite reliable, (but do leak a bit of oil on the driveway), cheap to insure and it's prime role in life, is to tow the boat.
That will leave you with enough cash to get a nice daily driver.
Well, that's what I did...

Noelm
21-08-2017, 05:47 AM
The Landrover might be rated to that capacity, in reality towing 4.5 T with one is not recommended, they are grossly over rated, even short distances are a "challenge" but at least it's technicaly legal!!

myusernam
21-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Is that the discovery 1 or the old 1960 army style Landrover?

myusernam
21-08-2017, 11:17 AM
I thought it was pre 95, not a disco and only four ton, which isn't enough. And tow ball weight of 130kg which also isn't enough. Boat weighed just over four without much in it so will have to be carefull what I leave in it. Will empty tanks at ramp (water down sink, dieseL via 12v transfer pump if there's too much in there to the 44's that will live in the tow vehicle.

myusernam
21-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Whoops re read OP. Landrover discovery. Looking up now

ranmar850
21-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Gawd, 4wd Canters are horrible with nothing behind them, can't imagine what they would be like to tow with...I guess if it only for a really short distance, that doesn't matter.

myusernam
21-08-2017, 04:07 PM
sure about the disco1 tow rating? I can only find 4.0t which is too low. and then the tow ball weight might matter also (fixed axle group) if it was 4.5t i'd be keen. cheap option.

giddyup58
24-08-2017, 07:56 AM
sure about the disco1 tow rating? I can only find 4.0t which is too low. and then the tow ball weight might matter also (fixed axle group) if it was 4.5t i'd be keen. cheap option.
How embarrassing.
It actually is 4 ton.
My apologies.

wags on the water
25-08-2017, 03:45 PM
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4843536?_ga=2.79656339.607057628.1503603496-334245885.1503603496

The Mad Cat
25-08-2017, 06:45 PM
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4843536?_ga=2.79656339.607057628.1503603496-334245885.1503603496

I think this will still only have a 3.5 tow rating as 4200kg is only a GVM upgrade not a GCM upgrade unless I'm missing something.

TMC

Noelm
25-08-2017, 07:30 PM
It's also some what over his budget!

ozscott
25-08-2017, 08:52 PM
My 95 Disco 1 has a 4000kg tow rating. Very strong chassis. But short wheelbase so 4 tonn is not a thing of beauty. The handbook says 3500kg but with dealers stamp 4000kg. I don't believe they had to do anything except make sure shocks ok etc.

Realistically anything less than an F250/Ram etc has no right going anywhere near 4tonn much less 4.5.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wags on the water
26-08-2017, 12:49 AM
I think this will still only have a 3.5 tow rating as 4200kg is only a GVM upgrade not a GCM upgrade unless I'm missing something.

TMC
I think you're missing something. I've been researching this same situation for the last 3 months.

The Mad Cat
26-08-2017, 06:37 AM
I think you're missing something. I've been researching this same situation for the last 3 months.

So what is it I'm missing?

TMC

ozscott
26-08-2017, 07:36 AM
I understood that you xouls not get a recertification of towing max weight...GVM yes (and modern Land Cruiser especially 200's have very low carrying capacity stock).

Cheers

Dirtyfuzz
02-09-2017, 04:54 AM
Ford f500 truck just popped up on Sunshine Coast classifieds $13500 they are asking

scottar
02-09-2017, 08:38 AM
So what is it I'm missing?

TMC

He's gunna put it on tbe roof rack:P

scottar
02-09-2017, 08:46 AM
I understood that you xouls not get a recertification of towing max weight...GVM yes (and modern Land Cruiser especially 200's have very low carrying capacity stock).

Cheers

Depends on the vehicle or more specifically whether any srcond stage manufacturer has done the testing and engineered a kit - it is seperate to a GVM upgrade. Lovell's do one for the 200 series due to vehicle popularity but I haven't seen any other's - not that I have been looking.

ozscott
02-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Copy thanks. Learn something new every day. Cheers

seashawgal
07-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Ya gunna need a smaller boat

Marchy001
07-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Depends on the vehicle or more specifically whether any srcond stage manufacturer has done the testing and engineered a kit - it is seperate to a GVM upgrade. Lovell's do one for the 200 series due to vehicle popularity but I haven't seen any other's - not that I have been looking.

I was under the impression GVM was doable but towing capacity was unable to be changed.
I made lots of calls on this last week when I learned my Triton with 2.3t towing was a bit short of what I need. 2007 tritons same engine same same everything were rated to 2.5t. Suspension places, 4x4 places, Even spoke to vehicle standards QLD and he said without a time machine I'm screwed as the rules changed a few years ago.

myusernam
08-09-2017, 05:45 AM
you can't exceed the manufacturers maximum towing capacity of a vehicle, unless you have the vehicle engineered to do so by a vehicle engineer and a mod plate fitted or there is no manufacturers recommended. Then you can go 1.5 times the tare.
Here is a list of what can do what
http://www.newcastlerental.com/Vehicle%20Mass%20Towing%20Guide%20-%20May%202012%20.pdf
http://ozhitch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/towingmassguidenov2007.pdf

myusernam
08-09-2017, 06:37 AM
this is a good summary (SA but same except for trailer brake wieghts)
https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/6375/MR25-Light-vehicle-towing-trailer-regulations-GVM-4.5-tonnes-or-less-8.14.pdf
can go 1.5 times tare if no gcm or max tow weight specified by manufacturer. Note all this applies to vehicles below 4500 kg GVM. (car license)
As mentioned previously I am working towards an over 4500kg gvm option and will post proof and pics up if successfull shortly

myusernam
03-12-2017, 09:37 PM
Ok so bought the truck from the auctions some time ago but had to finish a house Reno before I could work on truck or boat. I might do a seperate boat thread but here's the truck. It's a 98 SWB 4wd canter that I have had rerated (for the princely sum of $330) to have a gcm of 9t and a gvm of 4495kg so I can drive with a normal license. Only has 11000klms - ex rural Fire brigade. Has a 1500l watertank with diesel fire pump and toolboxes. Ive just finished wiring in a redarc tow pro elite proportional brake controller (more expensive than takonsha but can be run of 24v). Battery balancer, 12v Anderson plug and wiring loom for the trailer, rerouted electric start for the pump to the Anderson wiring and a 4500kg towbar. The toolboxes are all keyed alike but had no key. Managed to get one cut from a locksmith so they're good for keeping tools, oversize tow flags,signs,light etc. Actually fits all the tools for the boat (that don't live in the boat), diesel transfer pump etc. The fire hoses had been removed but I got a retired 50m hose reel for $30 that I'm fitting. My drum of CT18 slots straight in to the fire foam holder, and the proportioning system means I should be able to soap then rinse the boat and trailer Poste haste. The man cage at the back will house a couple of aviation 200l drums (been told they're thicker?)for diesel. I'll move the boat fairly dry and just transfer diesel at the ramp and fill up water as well. Plan to fit a crane arm and weld up some roof racks. Dingy has some good transom wheels so will wheel up ramp then just lift straight onto back and strap.
Pick of redarc - lot of work for a little knob. All you can see - rest fits behind dash which was actually a pain as there wasn't much room unlike a normal car.
As mentioned earlier in the thread I went this way rather than a f250 as it was cheaper to buy, should be more reliable, only has 4cyl so cheaper to rego each year and can carry the tinny and all the crxp with the washdown a bonus.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/e4aa23dd00fa7433a7f32d554236f3ba.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/a32d24d1c4a9c8666cc66b4bb53689ea.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/8f07c35ded95b3a61ed8ef7cabcfe79c.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ranmar850
03-12-2017, 11:31 PM
You'll have the quickest washdown at the ramp ;)

myusernam
04-12-2017, 12:34 AM
To summarise all I learned for anyone else there are two vehicle bulletins for Qld. (Under review they said) One designed for slightly oversize loads. It's for hang glider trailers, dragon boats, horse floats, boats. To fall under this criteria you have to be below 4.5t, below 4.3m high and under 2.9m wide. If so you can tow with car license provided you don't exceed vehicle manufacturer maximum tow limit. For vehicles under 4500 gvm this is set in stone. So u are limited to old Range Rovers at 4t. Australian f250' s after 2003 (memory a bit hazy). Which has grossly inflated price of these. GMC sierras etc. Imports I think might be limited to 1.5 times gvm. (Didn't go this way so lost interest). Modified six wheelers with secondary manufacturer plate can tow 1.5 times gvm but still might not get to 4.5t. now some 6wheelers specify gvm to 4.5t. allow 22k on top of vehicle for mod.
There's a Lovell 200 series mod to 4t.
Old f350s or anything else without a manufacturers max tow weight can only tow 1.5 times gvm so not enough.
You can then step up to the higher class heavy trailer bulletin which has a max height of 4.6m (I had height issues) and can be wider etc (unsure of limits) with more road and time restrictions (Easter, Christmas, some roads I'm Brisbane) but this was never an option as the tow vehicle must be 4.5 t gvm or over which means truck rego ($2k pa) and a truck license which was unaffordable for me and too restrictive for resale of boat.
Hope this saves someone else some time one day ☺️

The Mad Cat
04-12-2017, 06:01 AM
I like the idea of the truck set up. Beware of the aviation drums, if they are avgas the drums are most likely painted inside and diesel will lift the paint off and will end up in your fuel system. I know this from first hand experience. The paint lining may have changed over the years and it might not lift off anymore. If they are Jet A1 drums then from memory they are OK (I think).

TMC