PDA

View Full Version : seastar hydralic steering ram seals (transom)

catshark
23-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Hi all, after three years of owning my boat the seals have starting to seep fluid. just wondering the typical life span on these seals as i routinely spray WD-40 after wash down after every outing , has the wd-40 spray contributed in perishing the seals ? The other question is should i have a crack at replacing the seals myself or just get the mechanic to do it. whats the hardest part ? cheers

Rip it up
23-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Wd40 is bad for the seals.
Try a lanolin product next time.

The ram seals won't be hard to replace. But getting the end caps off might be. Depending on your tool supplies, you could tackle it at home. But might need circlip pliers and c wrench to open them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr__Bean
24-07-2017, 01:06 AM
From memory..... the seals kit comes with the tool for removing the cylinder ends.

catshark
26-07-2017, 06:04 PM
thankyou, yes shall use a lanolin product for future cleans, seen a couple of videos on the subject, looks like the end caps and the horns will be the hard part to undo. think ill let this job go on to the pros , thanks for feed back.

Flex
27-07-2017, 06:05 AM
Seal kit is an absolute rip off. Pay $140 for a couple of seals that are worth $2-3 each at an auto shop.
The tool is probably needed to get caps off, its charged out at a stupid price.
Getting those off is the hard bit. Rest is super easy

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums