PDA

View Full Version : Stringray or SE 300

copie
30-06-2017, 05:16 PM
I have had both types of hydrofoils in the past on different boats but never tried both on the same boat. Can anyone offer advice or information on which is considered the better of the two and why.
Thanks in advance.

Mark

Noelm
30-06-2017, 06:37 PM
I will be first to ask, why are you getting a foil?

copie
30-06-2017, 07:16 PM
I will be first to ask, why are you getting a foil?

I have a Signature 542F with a Yamaha 130 hp I find it gets on the plane easy and quick if I want it to but if I just want to motor along a little slower and particularly if passengers are on the rear seat it tends to bog down unless I throttle it harder and get on the plane then slow up. A previous boat 630 signature with a 150 hp Honda was similar and a SE300 improved it dramatically.

mace01
01-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Maybe trim tabs would suit better? I know more expensive, but would allow you better flexibility when driving. I've got them on my 543SF and love them. Mat.

inveratta
01-07-2017, 12:01 PM
I put a permatrim on a merc leg to try and help with the bogging down...it did help but I found the boat would lean to one side or other more as well.....I put it down to the deep v hull "thing"...and the fact that the extra lift was coming from the bottom centre of the vee....

In the end I took it off and after some advice from someone else ..put on those relatively cheap spring loaded trim tabs...I found they work extremely well in that the boat gets up and stays up on the plane to a lower speed ...just a lot more spray..and with the extra lift coming from the outside of the vee it seems to help overall stability.They have lasted four or five years so far.Granted the controllable ones would be more flexible ,but these will help if you dont want to spend the extra dough.

Smithy
01-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Get a Lazilas LZ foil. Upward sloping so no vices, if anything they want to bring you back up to vertical again. Boating and RV used to have them. Ebay seem to have them for $45 + $15pp so one of the cheapest foils anyway, and the best IMHO.

Triple
01-07-2017, 06:48 PM
I'm a permatrim fan.

Andy56
01-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Is your motor at the right height? Having the motor too low can have all sorts of wierd problems like bogging down and heavy steering. The first signature I tested had heavy steering. The salesman suggested i trim it all the way in. Didnt sound right and didn't feel right.

copie
02-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Is your motor at the right height? Having the motor too low can have all sorts of wierd problems like bogging down and heavy steering. The first signature I tested had heavy steering. The salesman suggested i trim it all the way in. Didnt sound right and didn't feel right.

Yeah motor height is all good runs fine and trims perfectly with 2 up steering is fine its more about taking off slower as if trolling sits bum down. I had a larger signature previously and it was the same fitted a SE300 and it improved it well. I guess my question really is does anyone or has anyone tried both the older style stingray V the Se300 and found one to be better than the other.

bden
02-07-2017, 11:51 AM
It may be difficult to find people who have tried both. I have a very similar boat to yours fitted with the SE300 (Haines Signature 550C). I have had it on the boat for over 10 years and would not change a thing. Most of my work is done trolling offshore and it is great. The boat planes quickly and I swear by this combo.

Brett

Triple
02-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Take smithys advice. I've never understood if the motor height is right how the down turned hydrofoils don't increase drag an cause steering issues as they are still in the water when on the plane. Or get a permatrim ;)

Duckfish
03-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Found the early Stingrays threw up a lot of spray because of the thicker front end of the foil whereas the SE300 didn't. They both worked well except that the Stingray threw up a lot of spray.
Duck

Sent from my PNDP51M10BLK using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Toygut
19-08-2017, 11:52 PM
Mate, I have snapped 2 Stingray hydrofoils on the quinny (75 Etec) from fair wear all within 20 hours and replaced on warranty both black and white.... I had a 300SE on my merc for 400hours without issue.

Toygut
19-08-2017, 11:53 PM
Mate, I have snapped 2 Stingray hydrofoils on the quinny (75 Etec) from fair wear all within 20 hours and replaced on warranty both black and white.... I had a 300SE on my merc for 400hours without issue. Did the job, gave good plaining, reduced cavitation, improved fuel economy.