PDA

View Full Version : The new formula

wirlybird
21-06-2017, 06:15 PM
http://www.haineshunter.com.au/news-reviews/2017/06/southern-formula-maritime-globals-new-addition-to-the-family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inveratta
21-06-2017, 09:37 PM
well I have a 565L from 1983 and its been upgraded through the years..so I am fascinated to see the pricing of these retro boats....back to the future?

Mupster
22-06-2017, 11:03 PM
Pricing will be the key to their success! Get it wrong and then why would you bother?

Vromme
23-06-2017, 07:32 AM
The old school Haines guys dont seem to like the guy behind it. Dont know what the product will be like could be very hit and miss buying one 2nd hand!

Mupster
23-06-2017, 11:11 AM
I think the 23 will be the one in demand as there's not many left around that haven't been refurbed yet and it costs a bomb to do them so a cheaper new build might be the go for some.
There is still plenty of 17 to 21's around that make it a cheap refurb compared to a new build IMAO!

The Woo
23-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Where is all the V????

ozynorts
23-06-2017, 02:33 PM
http://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/news/2017/haines-hunter-to-launch-southern-formula-boat-brand-59311/

wirlybird
23-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Not exactly the same having a 21 degree dead rise as opposed to the old formula having 23 it's also wider so get out the flags and wide load signs while towing. That's enough to put me off and buy another Edencraft.

Vromme
24-06-2017, 09:51 AM
I thought most of the appeal in the old HH were the deep vees and then redoing with lots of extra glass (weight&strength)?

With extra weight down low it really negates a lot of the negatives of a deep v under anchor and makes for a great ride in slop. Like the Cootas and Devils which have 23 to 25 degrees (depending on model) and built like tanks.

inveratta
24-06-2017, 10:25 AM
spot on comment.......when I read it I thought they had proposed a self defeating formula! It reads like they are trading on the name formula without adopting the "brand values"......
I thought most of the appeal in the old HH were the deep vees and then redoing with lots of extra glass (weight&strength)?

With extra weight down low it really negates a lot of the negatives of a deep v under anchor and makes for a great ride in slop. Like the Cootas and Devils which have 23 to 25 degrees (depending on model) and built like tanks.

wirlybird
24-06-2017, 06:34 PM
I actually think if they don't build these incorrectly you will get a formula that looks like one but performs like a dog this increases the price of the old ones and the Edencraft.

Wait and see I guess

I still think it's poor form selling the mould to Alan ball and re- releasing the formula later on because it was the best design and potentially the best seller for them in the 23 foot range

chocolatemoose
24-06-2017, 10:52 PM
personally i think the design is dated and a reason it belongs in the past... that being said i do love when different era design cues are merged.
i

Cape Crusader
25-06-2017, 09:43 PM
Could one say that if these are different to the original formula boats they won't be a flop :P
Cheers
Rod

Andy56
26-06-2017, 03:48 PM
personally i think the design is dated and a reason it belongs in the past... that being said i do love when different era design cues are merged.
i

I tend to agree, We buy new boats, well, because they are better than old boats. Those old hunters had great hulls but the transom and foredeck left a bit to be desired by modern standards. But lets see what comes out of this venture before we can them

inveratta
26-06-2017, 09:20 PM
very reasonable..but for me the issue is the branding..if Land Rover in the UK announced they were going back into 1970s production and the new vehicle was a 2 wheel drive highway car...I think most people would see it as an exploitation of the name....

swof63
27-06-2017, 07:19 AM
very reasonable..but for me the issue is the branding..if Land Rover in the UK announced they were going back into 1970s production and the new vehicle was a 2 wheel drive highway car...I think most people would see it as an exploitation of the name....

If they did that maybe they should just call it "Rover".

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

wirlybird
27-06-2017, 08:19 PM
If they did that maybe they should just call it "Rover".

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Or fido