PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea ? - spare tire mount

552Evo
05-06-2017, 01:25 PM
I've got a dual axle trailer and already have 1 spare mounted on a swing down mechanism.
But I have come across a matching wheel so now I have 2 spares.
Should I just not bother with 2 spares or if I did mount the 2nd spare is this position ok ?
I don't think the bow will contact it when launching/retrieving. I'm not sure what the welded link on the frame is for in the 2nd image either ?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170605/265859e2b8cc36fee5ad0af6856aa0bf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170605/c9aac498521464090be96d51fa81a844.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drpete
05-06-2017, 01:33 PM
It's how I have mine setup. Works fine. Occam's razor and all that...
Peter

Aussie123
05-06-2017, 02:09 PM
No problem there but that chain link is for a safety chain to attach to your boat in case the winch post breaks in an accident or heavy braking.

bluefin59
05-06-2017, 03:08 PM
On my old trailer I used to mount my spare like that and use a U bolt around the chassis rail and into the wheel nut holes . Matt

Chimo
05-06-2017, 04:25 PM
When the trailer was set up there should have been a triangle of chains with a D and turnbuckle (not stainles as they undo too easily and they get stolen too) onto the boat bow eye to hold the boat on the trailer so you are not relying on the winch to hold the boat in place.

You may be able to rig the chain so that the spare wheel can sit there too, although it may get knocked off if you leave the trailer at a ramp for too long.

The trailer should IMHO have had the chain set up in place when you got it.

Cheers
Chimo

552Evo
05-06-2017, 06:44 PM
On my old trailer I used to mount my spare like that and use a U bolt around the chassis rail and into the wheel nut holes . Matt

Thanks, yes that's the way I was thinking too [emoji106]

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

552Evo
05-06-2017, 06:48 PM
When the trailer was set up there should have been a triangle of chains with a D and turnbuckle (not stainles as they undo too easily and they get stolen too) onto the boat boy eye to hold the boat on the trailer so you are not relying on the winch to hold the boat in place.

You may be able to rig the chain so that the spare wheel can sit there too, although it may get knocked off if you leave the trailer at a ramp for too long.

The trailer should IMHO have had the chain set up in place when you got it.

Cheers
Chimo

Thanks Chimo, there is a chain at the winch on the winch post.
It's just a long way from the winch or the bow loop to that chain link in the photo, I just thought maybe it's got some other use ?

bluefin59
05-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Thanks, yes that's the way I was thinking too [emoji106]

Tell me about a job that gets in the way mate ,I live that nightmare . Matt

Chimo
05-06-2017, 07:04 PM
This is what it could look like if it is to be effective.

552Evo
05-06-2017, 07:13 PM
This is what it could look like if it is to be effective.

Ok , I'll check that out in the daylight. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

552Evo
05-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Tell me about a job that gets in the way mate ,I live that nightmare . Matt

I guess the job time keeps me keen for the odd day on the briny 🤣

Feral
05-06-2017, 07:54 PM
Should be fine, just keep it that way up so you can easily check air, keep an eye on the tyre in case it gets sun damaged or if you are compressing the tyre against the frame when you tighten it down, undo it and move it around occasionally so it doesn't get a set in it. Put a padlock on it somewhere to discourage the thieves at boat ramps.

552Evo
05-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Should be fine, just keep it that way up so you can easily check air, keep an eye on the tyre in case it gets sun damaged or if you are compressing the tyre against the frame when you tighten it down, undo it and move it around occasionally so it doesn't get a set in it. Put a padlock on it somewhere to discourage the thieves at boat ramps.

Great ideas there, thanks Feral [emoji1360]

Dignity
06-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Thanks Chimo, there is a chain at the winch on the winch post.
It's just a long way from the winch or the bow loop to that chain link in the photo, I just thought maybe it's got some other use ?

EVO, if I understand what your saying, you don't have a chain back to the body of the trailer. Winch posts have failed in the past and will continue to fail and with your setup the post has to take all the strain, there was an interesting thread here some time ago where a welded winch post failed. I would seriously consider changing the chain set up, it would be good to have 2 points on the body of the trailer, one won't take the shock or strain of something letting go. One of the chains could go through the tyre, it might have to be offset though. Personally these days I leave mine in the vehicle, less chance if getting it knocked off and also sun and weather degradation of your spare plus by handling it you will feel when tyre pressure has dropped. I recently came across a couple whose spare was flat, don't know why it happens but it does. Tyres do have a limited life even if not being used so why shorten it.

Fed
06-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Straight to the pool room?
Store it with your second spare for the car (you've got one right?) so all your spare spares are in the same place?
Take the tyre off & use it as a swing for the kids, use the rim as a hose reel?

Winch post not strong enough, call Dunbier to let them know and get a stronger winch post under warranty.

552Evo
06-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Straight to the pool room?
Store it with your second spare for the car (you've got one right?) so all your spare spares are in the same place?
Take the tyre off & use it as a swing for the kids, use the rim as a hose reel?

Winch post not strong enough, call Dunbier to let them know and get a stronger winch post under warranty.

Thanks Fed, but I've had enough of Dunbier, you may have seen my other post detailing one of the two issues the trailer had. I know if I say to them the winch post is not strong enough they will disagree. It hasn't failed. I'm sure they will sell me whatever mods I wish...

So if I add another chain, using the welded links on the frame, do you connect the chain to the welded links with shackles ?
And do you use the new chain in conjunction with the winch post chain ?

552Evo
06-06-2017, 12:23 PM
So is this the idea for a better safety chain ?
From these 2 welded links in the image, following the blue line. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170606/1558382d7af1c3d46ed8784fa4fcf61e.jpg

Chimo
06-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Look at the picture.

The idea is to use the turnbuckle to tighten the chain after the top D is attached to the bow eye.

Clear?

552Evo
06-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Thank you Chimo. Yes.