PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota or similar to fit to 5.3 runabout

pnp005
01-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Hi all am looking to fit an electric motor to fit to a 5.3 Tabs runabout.
Not sure what brand or size I should be looking for?
Looking to use in the river and outside(for anchoring purpose in this instance).
Any suggestions welcome.
Do I need to to run 1 or 2 deep cycle dedicated batteries?
Cheers

scottar
01-06-2017, 09:52 PM
That size boat I would be thinking an eighty pound thrust unit which means 24 volts and two batteries. Personally I run a Minn Kota but i don't think there is much between them. There was a you tube video showing the minn kota having a better spotlock and there are connectivity considerations but that would be about it.

rayken1938
02-06-2017, 05:10 AM
Get a minnkota ulterra if you can afford it the automatic stow and deploy is fantastic especially if you donot have a decky.
Cheers
Ray

mace01
02-06-2017, 11:37 AM
I reckon your decision should be based on the sounder you have. If Lowrance, then the MG interface is awesome. If Humminbird, then an MK. If Garmin, then it doesn't really matter. Get what you can afford. Can't stress how good t is to be able to "drive" the motor from the sounder. Mat.

scrotty
03-06-2017, 04:25 PM
I have a 5.3 with an 80lb Minn Kota. Great combo. No issues at all. Spot lock is fantastic.

scottar
03-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Get a minnkota terrova if you can afford it the automatic stow and deploy is fantastic especially if you donot have a decky.
Cheers
Ray

Ulterra has the auto deploy - the terrova is still a manual deploy with lift assist - heaps easier than the riptide series though.

rayken1938
03-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Ulterra has the auto deploy - the terrova is still a manual deploy with lift assist - heaps easier than the riptide series though.
oops sorry meds are doing strange things to me should be right now i am now off the horrible things.
I have had ulterra upgraded to link for around 18 months now and its a fantastic bit of kit
Cheers
Ray