PDA

View Full Version : Transducer for Sharkcat

Flex
19-05-2017, 05:58 PM
I know this has been asked to death,
I'm sticking some larger pods on my 18f sharkcat.
Beside a very expensive inhull I'm wondering what other options I have.

I'll be lucky to have 50mm from bottom of hull to the pods. Pods nearly take up the entire transom.

How bad do transducers work off the back of a pod?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Lovey80
19-05-2017, 06:07 PM
You may have some issues getting clean water at speed with that set up.

Flex
19-05-2017, 07:28 PM
I figured that'd be he case. I've never see it done . Anyone have success with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

myusernam
19-05-2017, 08:18 PM
the pods are aluminium? just cut out an area big enough for the transducer profile out of the pod at the transom and have a small rectangle (or whatever shape really) of ally welded in so that you can mount the txdcr at the transom. if you'r worried about turbulance dont leave the surrounding area too big. can always fill and seal around with silicone.

scottar
19-05-2017, 08:22 PM
How bad do transducers work off the back of a pod?

Bad as a general rule. Depending on what type of transducer you are running I have seen pics of pods modified to house transducers or with specific brackets made to suit the limited space - effectively creating a transom mount behind the hull. The other option that has become more prevalent is having pods glassed into the hull to house wet faced through hulls - lot of work and cost unless you are good at glassing though.

What sounder / transducer are you running or thinking of running?

Flex
20-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Cheers for the help,

Currently running an airman p66 transom mount for 585 furuno. It sits under the current pod. And the other side I run a Garmin chirp transducer (unsure model) as a back up.

My pods are already made. They are an nearly exact copy of new kevlacat pod with the V bottom.

Looking at sticking em on shortly but I only have 50mm roughly around edges of pod to the hull.

Is it possible to externally run a through hull ? these are generally quite small. Say 90mm high and 50mm hole. Coukd maybe sneak it along side hull somewhere. Airmar make a few of these .

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

scottar
20-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Plenty of people do mount through hulls externally so it is an option. Could also look at modifying the p66 and having a bracket fabricated. If you undo the screws at the rear of it the bracket will come off and leave you with the basic transducer body - might be some way to cut off the pivots and fab a housing - don't have one in front of me to play with.