PDA

View Full Version : What level of Trim @ Ramp?

mercthunder
14-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Hi all,

I am a total boat newbie and only just got my first boat a few weeks ago. Its a Tahoe Q4 Sport Bowrider. I was wondering how i can determine the trim at the ramp to ensure the prop does not strike the cement. I have been told that having the trim level on half is a safe bet, can someone please confirm? I have been going out with an instructor so far, and they have been saying "it depends on the ramp, and the depth of the ramp". I understand the "it depends" answer is okay for those experienced at boat ramps, but for someone staring out like me, what would be the best method? Using half trim as a safe bet, or just going to the swim platform and looking over the back of the boat to make sure the prop and intake are only just submerged in the water?

Appreciate any advice and apologies in advance for such a basic question :)

Thank you.

robothefisho
14-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Just sitting on the trim rams, not on the tilt ram.

mercthunder
14-05-2017, 11:11 PM
Sorry Robo, but that sounded like you are speaking another language :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

scottar
15-05-2017, 04:39 AM
Your instructor is right. It depends on your rig as well. Being deeper will give you better handling but it's up to you as the operator to make a judgement call based on your knowledge of the ramp and water level due to tide. As an example - at low tide at my local ramp I will just have the prop and intakes on my rig in the water due to depth, surrounding obsructions and bottom type. If there is more water I will leave it deeper for better handling characteristics.

Noelm
15-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Are you asking where the motor should be for launching, or when driving close to the ramp?

Dirtyfuzz
15-05-2017, 07:07 AM
As Noelm asked, if you are just pushing and pulling boat onto trailer may aswell leave motor up most of the way,

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Dignity
15-05-2017, 07:24 AM
I suspect you are talking about driving the boat on. If you've got trim tabs have them fully down to try and lift the bow. With my boat the motor is mostly about half way and even then the skeg can hit the concrete. As I drive on I have to have the motor around the extent of the trim and as the boat starts to climb on the boat I then start to tilt it further otherwise I will scrape the skeg. Other vessels that drive on don't seem to have that problem, mine is exadurated by the pod which the bottom of which is 15mm or more above the hull bottom.

PS. The trim is the first bit when you lift the motor and the two pistons at the back are lifting the motor slowly, the tilt is when these disengage and the large single piston pushes it up quickly.

Dignity
16-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Just sitting on the trim rams, not on the tilt ram.

After writing my essay, I suddenly understand this, getting slower in my old age.

Fed
16-05-2017, 08:12 AM
It's a Mercruiser.

Fed
16-05-2017, 08:14 AM
Looking at your trailer mercthunder I think you'll be pretty much floating that boat on & off.

Dignity
16-05-2017, 03:53 PM
It's a Mercruiser.

Ok,wasn't aware of that as no pics came through.

mercthunder
17-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Looking at your trailer mercthunder I think you'll be pretty much floating that boat on & off.

Thanks. I know how to float the boat off using rope, and have done this a few times, but it does seem to consume more time at the boat ramp. I tested the drive on and drive off at the ramp last weekend and it was quick and easy. I had the boat at half trim and this worked well, however at different ramps my concern is it will be different. Given i'm new to boats, i hope at new ramps i don't damage the boat.